Parking at different hotels

Wellhello

Original Poster
Good morning!
My wife, daughter (18 months) and I are going to Disney World January 26-February 1st and staying at Coronado Springs. We are eating dinner most nights at some of the different resorts so I was curious if we could drive to the hotel where we were going to eat and use the transportation at that hotel instead of the transportation at Coronado Springs. For example; if we are eating at Ohana for dinner, could we drive from Coronado Springs to the Polynesian that morning and use the transportation at the Polynesian to get to whatever park we go to and just drive back to the Coronado after dinner instead of having to catch the monorail from the Polynesian to Magic Kingdom and a bus from Magic Kingdom to Coronado Springs?

I know it’s kinda confusing to explain, we’re just trying to get back to our hotel at a reasonable hour and not spend an hour plus bus hopping with a toddler. Just wanted to see if it was okay to do this or if anyone had other suggestions.

I’ve also heard mixed opinions on how crowded Disney is that time of year, any thoughts?

Thanks for yalls time!!
Matthew

CaptainAmerica

Four part answer.

1. Yes, you can do what you're suggesting.

2. No, you shouldn't do what you're suggesting. Even if you have a car, you're MUCH (much much much) better off taking the bus to and from the Magic Kingdom. Drive to the other parks, but use Disney transportation for the Magic Kingdom.

3. Don't eat at Ohana if you're going to a non-Magic Kingdom park that day. Complete waste of travel time, especially coming all the way from Coronado.

4. "Bus hopping" with a toddler is easier than car hopping with a toddler. I've been taking my daughter (now four) a couple of times per year since she was six months old and the bus is far less stressful than packing the car seat and driving. Driving saves you some time, but adds some headache IMO. To be fair, we still rent a car when we can get a good deal, but it's for time/efficiency, not necessarily stress reduction.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Also they will almost certainly not let you park at the Poly more than say an hour before your ADR. Parking at a resort is fine for the duration of an ADR and looking around the resort, it isn’t OK to park there all day.

Now at certain resorts they probably won’t bother. At the monorail resorts and Epcot resorts they certainly will. And will often refuse entry without an imminent ADR. And I’ve seen cars towed from the Contemporary for parking for breakfast and the car still being there at 4pm.

CaptainAmerica

Also they will almost certainly not let you park at the Poly more than say an hour before your ADR. Parking at a resort is fine for the duration of an ADR and looking around the resort, it isn’t OK to park there all day.

Now at certain resorts they probably won’t bother. At the monorail resorts and Epcot resorts they certainly will. And will often refuse entry without an imminent ADR. And I’ve seen cars towed from the Contemporary for parking for breakfast and the car still being there at 4pm.
That's true for locals or people staying off site, but I thought it was official policy that WDW resort guests can park at any WDW resort any duration other than overnight.

nickys

Premium Member
That's true for locals or people staying off site, but I thought it was official policy that WDW resort guests can park at any WDW resort any duration other than overnight.

Not at all. All parking is at the discretion of the guys at the gate. If the parking lot is full, or near full, you will not be allowed in. There are signs at the entrances saying parking is for guests of the resort and those with reservations at the resort. Everything else is discretionary.

I thought you’d be pleased. Isn’t visiting other resorts “tacky”....?

CaptainAmerica

Not at all. All parking is at the discretion of the guys at the gate. If the parking lot is full, or near full, you will not be allowed in. There are signs at the entrances saying parking is for guests of the resort and those with reservations at the resort. Everything else is discretionary.
It strikes me as strange that the official policy would be at the discretion of the guard. I assumed it was either officially allowed or officially not allowed and that the variation in enforcement was simply the guard going rogue. The only times I've been turned away were Epcot resorts during Food and Wine or the Contemporary when there was a major convention going on.

I also think it's tacky to bring a pound of honey ham and a loaf of bread for lunch at Epcot, but it's allowed. If someone asked me if it was allowed, I would tell them so.

nickys

Premium Member
It strikes me as strange that the official policy would be at the discretion of the guard. I assumed it was either officially allowed or officially not allowed and that the variation in enforcement was simply the guard going rogue. The only times I've been turned away were Epcot resorts during Food and Wine or the Contemporary when there was a major convention going on.

I also think it's tacky to bring a pound of honey ham and a loaf of bread for lunch at Epcot, but it's allowed. If someone asked me if it was allowed, I would tell them so.

I didn’t actually say theat was official policy. However, parking is subject to availability. They really need to make sure there is availability for resort guests to park, otherwise people will not be happy.

You can park to visit a resort. But if you are not staying there and do not have an ADR, then the guard is entitled to say “sorry, no room”.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
For the Ohana ADR, your best bet is to take a bus to MK, then monorail to the Poly for dinner. Monorail back to MK for attractions after dinner, then a bus ride back to your resort. What are your other ADRs at resorts?

I'm curious as to why visiting other resorts would be considered tacky?

CaptainAmerica

@CaptainAmerica, care to elaborate?
Sure. I think it's gauche to show up in a hotel where you're not a guest just to gawk around. Disney bans people from pool hopping for this very reason. Obviously pool hopping is against the rules and resort hopping is not, so it's different in that regard, but it think both are equally tasteless.

Exceptions for those with dining reservations as well as the Boardwalk, which is intended to be public space.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I would say you'd be fine if the resort was anything other than a monorail resort. Guards can turn you away at the gate. We were staying at Copper Creek with a dining reservation at GF. The guard at the gate checked to make sure we really did have an ADR before he let us in...and we had to park in the visitor's lot.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Sure. I think it's gauche to show up in a hotel where you're not a guest just to gawk around. Disney bans people from pool hopping for this very reason. Obviously pool hopping is against the rules and resort hopping is not, so it's different in that regard, but it think both are equally tasteless.

Pool hopping is permitted for DVC members.

CaptainAmerica

Pool hopping is permitted for DVC members.
DVC members have paid for that privilege. It's a perk of the "club." Also:

Pool hopping is not available at the following pools—with no exceptions to this policy:
  • Bay Cove Pool at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
  • Uzima Pool and Samawati Springs Pool at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
  • Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht Club Resort and Disney's Beach Club Resorts
  • The leisure pool at Disney's Beach Club Villas
  • The Lava Pool and leisure pool at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
  • The Copper Creek Springs Pool at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
  • The pools at Disney's Art of Animation Resort
  • Boulder Ridge Cove Pool at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
So yeah, they can pool hop... except for all the good pools.

nickys

Premium Member

Exceptions for those with dining reservations as well as the Boardwalk, which is intended to be public space.

Pool hopping is not allowed to avoid the pools being over- crowded. And so those who pay to stay at resorts with a nice pool can reasonably expect to be able to swim in it. If you want to use the Lava pool at the Poly, the pay to stay there. Nothing to do with being tasteless.

And as @LAKid53 points out, DVC members can pool hop, although only to certain pools. Not to the ones that would otherwise be over-crowded.

LAKid53

Premium Member
DVC members have paid for that privilege. It's a perk of the "club." Also:

Pool hopping is not available at the following pools—with no exceptions to this policy:
  • Bay Cove Pool at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
  • Uzima Pool and Samawati Springs Pool at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
  • Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht Club Resort and Disney's Beach Club Resorts
  • The leisure pool at Disney's Beach Club Villas
  • The Lava Pool and leisure pool at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
  • The Copper Creek Springs Pool at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
  • The pools at Disney's Art of Animation Resort
  • Boulder Ridge Cove Pool at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
So yeah, they can pool hop... except for all the good pools.

Very true. And certain times of the year are blacked out. But I've never understood the desire to pool hop.

CaptainAmerica

If you want to use the Lava pool at the Poly, then pay to stay there.
That's exactly my point. If you want to roam the savannas at Animal Kingdom Lodge or lounge in the lobby of Wilderness Lodge or linger by the ginger bread house at the Grand Floridian, then pay to stay there. Those public spaces are resort amenities that are no different than the pool in my opinion. It's part of what you're paying for if you're a resort guest and should be reserved for their use.

Why is crowding up a hotel lobby any better than crowding up a hotel pool?

That's exactly my point. If you want to roam the savannas at Animal Kingdom Lodge or lounge in the lobby of Wilderness Lodge or linger by the ginger bread house at the Grand Floridian, then pay to stay there. Those public spaces are resort amenities that are no different than the pool in my opinion. It's part of what you're paying for if you're a resort guest and should be reserved for their use.

Why is crowding up a hotel lobby any better than crowding up a hotel pool?

I can’t say that I agree with this anymore than I would say that I don’t agree with this. @CaptainAmerica, you’ve created the Schrodinger’s cat of arguments for me here. Both my agreement and disagreement seem to exist simultaneously.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom