Park opening

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I tried to ask this in "How Do They Do That" but i got no response, so I'll try again.

At the Magic Kingdom, I've been at the turnstiles for the opening "ceremonies". You see all those managers with radios d__________g in and out of that little green building to the left of the turnstiles, and then the train comes with the characters, and the music plays, and they decide to start letting people in, etc, etc.

What I'm wodnering is if someone here has worked opening? Can you explain what goes on during those 30 min? What's in that little green building? What are the managers discussing on the radios, and who's on the other end? Is someone down in DACS deciding when they'll officially open and cues everyone and hits the "GO" button for the music?

Has anyone worked opening and can you answer all my annoying questions? :lol:

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Originally posted by edwardtc
IYou see all those managers with radios d__________g in and out of that little green building to the left of the turnstiles...

I think they need to fix the "Editing Module" of this site, haha. Apparently "u.c.k.i.n" (without the periods) is a BAD WORD, hahaha.

Anyway, are you all telling me that not a single person on here has worked at the MK for the opening? Or at least been involved with the actual procedures? Weird. Perhaps the 71 people who have viewed so far just haven't.

I'm going to test the "Editor" - stuck, st__________g, buck, b__________g, duck, d__________g......

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Originally posted by dae_woods
Truck, tr__________g.... suck, s__________g.... luck, l__________g.... yep kinda weird.

:hammer:

You're just a copycat, Dae.......wOOt

Bliff

Educated guess, here

I'm not a Cast Member, but here's my guess.

Let's say the MK is scheduled to open at 9:00. We know that it's entirely possible that they will open the park as much as an hour early, so...

They're talking about two things on these radios:

1. Is everybody ready? Probably checking with "Area Managers" or whatever they're called, to see if all rides are open, running and fully staffed. Making sure all rides, shops, restaurants and carts that are supposed to be operating at park opening are indeed open and ready to go.

2. It's getting crowded out here! Probably also commenting on how many guests are outside the gate, waiting to come in. The outside plaza can only hold so many people, so if it is getting full, they'd need to let people into Main St.

Just my guess...:veryconfu

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I think MKT (Rob) is the only person on here who DOES know - and he won't post, haha. He said he knew but didn't want to post it in my other thread......who knows.

ANYONE?!?!

Atta83

I remeber working those mornings for town square and they were fun but very hectic. Things were always in a rush. Greeting the family that gets to ride the train with the characters, Making sure the train comes in at the right time with the cues. The main street dancers doing there thing with the characters adn making sure they do not get mobbed. So yeah they are get everything done and done fast. But I dont know what the codes mean sorry i could never hear them...

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I'm not asking for codes or anything. I'm simply asking this:

I've stood in line, near the turnstiles, and watched the "opening procedures". I see manager-looking people with radios, walking around, talking to them, then d__________g into that little green building off to the left.

What is the procedure for opeing the MK? I know that the characters have to come out, in front of the gates, and meet-and-greet, and the family is chosen to ride the train, and then the train pulls up right on cue, and opening music plays, and then the ticket-takers start taking tickets......

Who is calling the cues? Who starts the music? What is in that little green building? IS it all called from down in DACS? Do they hit a big button that says "GO" and the music starts and then someone radios to the train to come on out?

Just wondering. I figured that SOMEONE on this site would have been a manager, or at least worked in the Opening System somewhere, at some time.

charliez

Choosing the family for the MK park opening ceremony?

So does anyone know how the family is chosen to greet the characters' train at the opening ceremony?

Our family and another will be going to WDW early next month for our inaugural DVC visit (after many others) and their very first WDW visit - what a cool thing that would be for all our kids. (Or either one of our families, if we both couldn't do it.)

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I have no idea what the last 2 posts means......i hope they're not just to bump up your counts, lol.

ANYONE on here have any idea how they open the park? ANYONE?

Who is calling the cues? Who starts the music? What is in that little green building? IS it all called from down in DACS? Do they hit a big button that says "GO" and the music starts and then someone radios to the train to come on out?

My post was in response to your post above. Get it...the magic wizard behind the curtain.

Still no answer...well...at least to one of your questions.

I have no idea what the last 2 posts means......i hope they're not just to bump up your counts, lol.

ANYONE on here have any idea how they open the park? ANYONE?

Try again, gave information that i decided was....how do you say, not neccessary, so i erased it.

braddini

i think i know how the family is chosen , its most likely the first family that arives at the gate. this happend to us one time when my wife and i went to one of the water parks.

raven

Just wondering. I figured that SOMEONE on this site would have been a manager, or at least worked in the Opening System somewhere, at some time.

That is called a "Stage Manager." The stage manager gives all of the cues to the sound, lights, tech, actors, train drivers, and anyone else involved in the "show." The same thing goes for any of the other Disney shows or night time fireworks events.

When I saw the openning show on 5/17/04, the train was late. You could hear Mickey talking to the guests and to the guy on the platform but he wasn't there yet. The actor tried to cover it up by saying "we can hear you Mickey but we can't see you." When the ropes dropped, everyone ran and didn't even see the train pull into the station. :lol:

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Originally posted by raven
That is called a "Stage Manager." The stage manager gives all of the cues to the sound, lights, tech, actors, train drivers, and anyone else involved in the "show." The same thing goes for any of the other Disney shows or night time fireworks events.

When I saw the openning show on 5/17/04, the train was late. You could hear Mickey talking to the guests and to the guy on the platform but he wasn't there yet. The actor tried to cover it up by saying "we can hear you Mickey but we can't see you." When the ropes dropped, everyone ran and didn't even see the train pull into the station. :lol:

Thanks for the post Raven! That's the closest thing to an answer I've gotten :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom