Park Map Questions (Guidemaps)

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Park Map Questions:

1) Is it possible to obtain park maps in unfolded condition?

This sounds sort of like going to the U.S. treasury and getting a sheet of uncut dollar bills (which can easily be done.)

I'm guessing you'd have to know someone who works at the printer or make a special request with some magical office.

2) Which brings up another question: Where do the park maps get printed? Somewhere on property? Do they print them at their own printer or do they contract out a printer?

3) Does anyone have a guidemap with an error or typo on it? Or possibly a mis-print that made its way into the outgoing batch?

4) How many maps are printed for each day/week at any of the 4 main parks? In other words, how many maps does WDW anticipate being used on any given day at the Magic Kingdom?

5) Approximately how much money does it cost to produce a single map?

6) What are the most creative things that you do with your maps?

Timekeeper

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hey TC!! Just sent you a PM.

Not sure where the maps are done, but the most creative thing I do is hold it up the right way...

Reminds me of the first time I went to EPCOT Center in `87 - i had studied and studied the place for years from books, and was adament I knew a short cut from SE to UoE... so there I am, a cocky 15 year old, leading my parents headlong into.... a wall behind Comunicore East. I never lived that down for the rest of the holiday... after that, I was forced to read from a map all the time...

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by Timekeeper
6) What are the most creative things that you do with your maps?
I always take two copies of a map when I visit the parks. Copy 1 is a working copy (gets me around the park etc). Copy 2 is kept in A1 condition and taken home where it is placed into a clear pocket within my photo album.
Because our visits are over 14 days I always bring home a map from each week, so that the dates which we're there are covered.
Sad ?

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Baby, No one knows

Is the printing of the maps such a secretive process that no one knows the answers to the questions?

The Travel Channel really needs to include this in their next "behind the scenes" special.

Timekeeper

Re: Re: Park Map Questions (Guidemaps)

Originally posted by CAPTAIN HOOK
I always take two copies of a map when I visit the parks. Copy 1 is a working copy (gets me around the park etc). Copy 2 is kept in A1 condition and taken home where it is placed into a clear pocket within my photo album.
Because our visits are over 14 days I always bring home a map from each week, so that the dates which we're there are covered.
Sad ?

I don't see anything wrong with this. If folks think you are weird...well, we can be weird together.

agdbeanie

Re: Baby, No one knows

Originally posted by Timekeeper
Is the printing of the maps such a secretive process that no one knows the answers to the questions?

The Travel Channel really needs to include this in their next "behind the scenes" special.

Timekeeper

That would be awesome. I'd watch that one for sure!

David

Re: Re: Re: Park Map Questions (Guidemaps)

Originally posted by antoinebusby
I don't see anything wrong with this. If folks think you are weird...well, we can be weird together.

And I have to join the group, too.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sad ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me, too! (er, uh...me, six?)

And I still have all my maps dating back to 1986 (honeymoon), even those from more recent years when, thanks to DVC, we make more than one trip per year. Now, That's Sad.

Of course, this practice has sort of lost its charm since, as DisneyInsider points out, in the last year or two, they have stopped printing weekly maps with complete show information and just print maps showing the locations of the attractions, shops, and restaurants. Next to the maps at the entrances are companion cards with all the times of shows and performances, etc.

I still keep a pristine map for the scrapbook, though. Oddly enough, I don't keep the showtime chart. I think I am more interested in having a record of how the parks may have physically changed (or not) over the years with the addition or removal of show buildings, restaurants, etc.

ClarkWGriswold

one of my kids always make sure they have clean, crisp maps to bring home with us after the trip.

he then puts them up on the walls of his room - he's got them all since back in 1995 (and we've been back to WDW 12 times).

oh well - cuts down on the painting!!!!:sohappy: :sohappy:

Re: Re: Park Map Questions (Guidemaps)

Sad ?

That would be more like the Times Guides since WDW doesn't have a different map printed each week anymore. Also WDW has the maps printed by Kodak, it says so on the back of the maps with the Kodak logo.
[EDIT]
:lol: didn't notice that Tiggerish stated the same thing about the maps. I collect the maps also I even have a Castmember map of the property with the tunnel map of MK and where the entrences are to it..we were given it by mistake by apparently a new CM during our stay at WL. I think that map is from February 2002.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom