Park Hopper

I am going back & forth on if it's worth it to get a park hopper. My husband and I, and our kids (5, 6 and 8) are going to Disney in July 2015 & are staying for 4 days at the Art of Animation Resport, with park tickets for 3 days. We want to go to Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios & Magic Kingdom... However, a lot of people have made it clear to me that it's unrealistic to get Magic Kingdom done in 1 day (but realistic for the other two). So my thoughts were to get a park hopper so we can go to Magic Kingdom in the late afternoon/evening on the days we go to Animal Kingdom & Hollywood Studios. BUT, my husband thinks that it's unrealistic for a 5, 6 & 8 year old to be able to go all day & all night (even with a break after lunch at our hotel resort for swimming & a nap). He thinks it may be a waste of money (about $250). Those who've been with kids, do you think I'm pushing it with a park hopper?

Gaston's gal

It is difficult to do MK in a day, so it really depends on if you want to spend the extra money to be able to go back and forth. If you do that, it will be hard to get in the swimming and the nap. Maybe just map out what rides are at the top of your list for MK and just do what you can while you are there. Good luck and have fun!

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

You'll need to evaluate if you can go all day at Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. If you get to each of those parks at opening, you could potentially, depending on your interests and the crowds, be done as early as 2pm (some may even say sooner at AK). If that is the case, what will you do the rest of the day?

Upvote 0

VTdisneytravel

Original Poster
You'll need to evaluate if you can go all day at Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. If you get to each of those parks at opening, you could potentially, depending on your interests and the crowds, be done as early as 2pm (some may even say sooner at AK). If that is the case, what will you do the rest of the day?
That's what I was thinking... Which is why I thought maybe a park hopper to go to Magic Kingdom in the evening? How long are the bus rides from each park to the hotel? If they are long rides/waits, then maybe this does not make sense?

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Your use of the term "get Magic Kingdom done" is a red flag to me. Three park days is a very short trip to try and "do it all," regardless of whether you have the park hopper or not. I think your best bet is to recognize that you won't be able to check every box on this trip. That'll free you up to be able to enjoy what you are able to get to without the pressure of running from one thing to the next in the name of completion, especially if your family's style is to relax, spend pool time, enjoy sit down meals, etc.

With a short trip and no plans for Epcot, I'd opt out of the park hopper. DHS and Animal Kingdom are often labeled "half-day parks" around here, but that's really not the case for someone who's new to WDW. They're only half-day parks if you're skipping shows and experiences that I don't think your family will want to skip.

For a family's first time trip? No chance. I highly doubt you could do Nemo, Flights of Wonder, and Festival of the Lion King by 2pm, let alone any actual rides or animal exhibits. Same with DHS. Those parks are half-day parks for Disney regulars who skip the shows, not a family who's going for the first time and everything is new (Indy, BATB, LMA, Mermaid, Magic of Disney Animation, etc. at Studios).

Upvote 0

VTdisneytravel

Original Poster
Your use of the term "get Magic Kingdom done" is a red flag to me. Three park days is a very short trip to try and "do it all," regardless of whether you have the park hopper or not. I think your best bet is to recognize that you won't be able to check every box on this trip. That'll free you up to be able to enjoy what you are able to get to without the pressure of running from one thing to the next in the name of completion, especially if your family's style is to relax, spend pool time, enjoy sit down meals, etc.

With a short trip and no plans for Epcot, I'd opt out of the park hopper. DHS and Animal Kingdom are often labeled "half-day parks" around here, but that's really not the case for someone who's new to WDW. They're only half-day parks if you're skipping shows and experiences that I don't think your family will want to skip.
Thank you for the feedback. I do understand that we will not be able to do it all, especially at Magic Kigdom. We've looked at the rides and weaned them down significantly at each park (as my 5 and 6 year old girls get scared easily). Our kids are also not apt to sit down & watch the live shows at Hollywood Studios or Animal Kingdom (such as Finding Nemo or Lion King). Do you know if we are able to add the Park Hopper when we get there, IF we feel we need it?

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

That's what I was thinking... Which is why I thought maybe a park hopper to go to Magic Kingdom in the evening? How long are the bus rides from each park to the hotel? If they are long rides/waits, then maybe this does not make sense?
AoA is centrally located on property, so bus rides aren't too bad, perhaps 20-25 minutes at the most to the MK, MK always seems to be the furthest.

You need to fit into your kids schedule, but also realize that they are going to be a bit excited and want to see things and stay up a little later.

Let's say you are done AK at 1pm. A walk to the bus, a wait for the bus, and a bus ride back to AoA could take an hour, putting you at the resort by 2pm or so. Get some drinks, cool off in the room or by the pool, perhaps a short nap or just change of clothes and a rest in the room to recharge and be ready to head back out by 4 or 4:30. Even if you grab dinner at the food court at head out by 5pm, you'd be at MK by 6pm and could spend another 2-3 hours there and be back to the resort between 9 and 10:30, depending on how you time things.

Upvote 0

VTdisneytravel

Original Poster
AoA is centrally located on property, so bus rides aren't too bad, perhaps 20-25 minutes at the most to the MK, MK always seems to be the furthest.

You need to fit into your kids schedule, but also realize that they are going to be a bit excited and want to see things and stay up a little later.

Let's say you are done AK at 1pm. A walk to the bus, a wait for the bus, and a bus ride back to AoA could take an hour, putting you at the resort by 2pm or so. Get some drinks, cool off in the room or by the pool, perhaps a short nap or just change of clothes and a rest in the room to recharge and be ready to head back out by 4 or 4:30. Even if you grab dinner at the food court at head out by 5pm, you'd be at MK by 6pm and could spend another 2-3 hours there and be back to the resort between 9 and 10:30, depending on how you time things.
Thank you for the perspective on the bus rides. That helps a lot!

Upvote 0

DisneyDaver

I think you may be expecting to cram too much into 3 days. I recently was at WDW/UO with my 5,7 and 10 year old niece/nephews. 5-7 hours of park time per day was all they were up for. They wanted to spend some time at the pool each day.

When I go without kids, I can easily spend 12 hours hopping between parks, but with young kinds, it's a different type of trip.

The most important part of a WDW vacation is to relax and enjoy it ... seeing everything is secondary.

Upvote 0

VTdisneytravel

Original Poster
I think you may be expecting to cram too much into 3 days. I recently was at WDW/UO with my 5,7 and 10 year old niece/nephews. 5-7 hours of park time per day was all they were up for. They wanted to spend some time at the pool each day.

When I go without kids, I can easily spend 12 hours hopping between parks, but with young kinds, it's a different type of trip.

The most important part of a WDW vacation is to relax and enjoy it ... seeing everything is secondary.
Thank you. This was exactly the type of advice I was looking for. To me, its all about pace. So I appreciate hearing what your neices and nephews expirience was like!

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Thank you. This was exactly the type of advice I was looking for. To me, its all about pace. So I appreciate hearing what your neices and nephews expirience was like!

Enjoyment is subjective.

If it's all about pace and relaxing you've answered your own question already ;) No need to "hop" around trying to fit everything in to one trip. No need for the park hopper. You'll enjoy yourself.

With us, WDW trips are always exciting, time of our lives type of trips and they have very little to do with relaxing :). I relax on the weekends and on beach vacations.The park hopper option is a must for us. We want to squeeze the life out of our vacations and we always enjoy ourselves.

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

I would absolutey encourage you to see the "shows" at AK. The term "show" just does not do justice to what they are. My 3 and 5 y/o at the time when they first saw these were glued to the seat during FotLK, absolutely mezmorized by all of the action, acrobatic, singing, etc. Nemo literally swallows you in and makes you feel like you're one of the characters. All the AK is a half day park talk is hooey when you have kids...take it slow, notice carvings, play the drums along the path, go brush the goats, see the animal education show at RPW, take pictures in the cars placed along the way, look for the animal foot prints in the pavement, find Fern, etc. AK is by far, our most relaxing and enjoyable day. While everyone else is racing thru the rides (we love those too), we are taking in what everyone else is passing by.

Upvote 0

SAV

In my opinion it would be a waste of $250 for you being a first timer. I think there will be plenty to do in each park that you really won't need to hop. It's all new to you.

I agree with the poster above me that AK is not a half day park for a first time visitor. FOLK and NEMO are both amazing and your kids will love them. Make sure to go and see Flights of Wonder as well. Visit the Boneyard and Rafiki's, the Oasis exhibits. Basically slow down and take everything in. It's also a good place to do some M&G's.

Not knowing your kids, you need to determine if a "nap break" at is really needed. Keeping in mind it will cost you roughly 3 hours of park time, which is very limited for you. Maybe on the AK day, you go from open to close, then back to the resort for a quick swim and to bed "early" compared to the MK day after Wishes.

Being that you are staying on-site, you can also plan your park days so you can take advantage of the "Extra Magic Hours" in the morning.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Park hoppers are valuable if you have the time to use them. Using PH's and splitting AK w/ MK and DHS w/ MK works for some who arent that excited about those parks. It also depends on your kids activity level and ability to stay in Disney mode without crashing. My DS was like me, he really got into the Disney mode and could go go go without stopping. But he was a kid that needed to stop and eat at certain times... if he didnt get food in him he would get moody so we knew his limit was reached.

Upvote 0

VTdisneytravel

Original Poster
I am really happy with everything people are saying. It is very helpful. It's nice to see the other side of the coin, in regards to the AK and HS (as most people say they are half day parks) but it's clear to me that the people who are parents completely disagree & think it's a full day park. We really want to take in the experience and I do believe that rushing everywhere will ruin the moments. I am very appreciative of the advice.

Upvote 0

Mukta

We say they are half day parks because we have done everything 10 times and now we only do our favorites in each park.

For a new family, you will easily fil a day in each park. We all know our way around the park, so you will spend time just looking for a restaurant/bathroom/attraction.

I think a 5 year old is too young for being in the parks from open to close three days in a row. I think with the July heat, you will need afternoon naps and you might not be able to return to parks at night.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom