Park entry security checks

beachlover4444

Original Poster
If you stay at paradise pier and walk over. Where will you find security check located? We usually stay at Hilton and come in off harbor Blvd. and if we go from paradise thru grand cal to DCA we would get checked there correct? If we are going to Disneyland can we get bag checked by the monorail station and go in there? Lastly did they ever create a line for people with no bags?

beachlover4444

Original Poster
does anyone know if they’re using the new state of the art screeners like they have at WDW yet. Those things are quick and scan multi guests at a time and you don’t have to empty bags.

beachlover4444

Original Poster
You can't walk through GCH to get to the parks from PPH. You would need to backtrack to security at the end of DTD near DLH.
I’ve been watching people do it on videos that’s why I asked. We entered DCA from grand cal when we stayed there. I’ve never been in DTD on that side. Is that security point busy

josh2000

I’ve been watching people do it on videos that’s why I asked. We entered DCA from grand cal when we stayed there. I’ve never been in DTD on that side. Is that security point busy
It's never been busy in my experience. I've only ever had to wait, at most, a minute or two. The Downtown Disney entrance is actually the only way I've ever gone in. I've never been to Harbor. I always stay at hotels on Katella.

TP2000

The gate off the sidewalk into the Grand Californian is locked and can only be opened with a valid Grand Californian hotel room card. 95% of the time the CM staffing the parking booth will stop you from entering if you can't/don't scan your valid hotel card to prove you are staying at the Grand.

The CM's often do this with questionable graciousness. A few years ago I had family staying in a Concierge level two-bedroom suite at the Grand and I had a valid hotel card after self-parking my own car across the street.

I let in a cute young family of strangers from the Paradise Pier whose young boys were all hyped to go to Cars Land and were talking about it waiting for the crosswalk light, and the snotty CM staffing the parking booth bellowed at them to scan their Grand card. I told her that I let them in because they were heading to Cars Land and I was staying in the Grand, and I got lectured and scolded for my good deed. She finished the public scolding, literally yelling at me over two lanes of incoming traffic, by telling me "Sir, next time you need to follow the guidelines you agreed to in your room contract!"

It was so hilariously memorable because she yelled the word "guidelines" as if those are immutable laws of nature. And this CM, exhibiting Disney's world-famous standards of hospitality and service, yelled at all of us and I got scolded for violating the "guidelines" in my "room contract". :rolleyes:

Now imagine that scenario playing out at a Four Seasons or the Laguna Montage. It never would, because their customer service standards are infinitely higher than the Grand Californian. But I digress...

@beachlover4444 in order to avoid public shame and scolding from Grand CM's, you need to exit the back door of the Paradise Pier and cut through the abandoned service road behind the abandoned AMC theater, and then enter the park via the security screening area next to the abandoned ESPNZone. The green arrow is your route, with the security screening noted by the blue line.

Do not attempt the red arrow route, because you have a room contract and guidelines to obey! ;)

PPH.png

Last edited:

TP2000

Wow that is ridiculous. Can't believe the cared about you letting a family in and yelled at you. Wow that's a huge path.

It was actually quite funny, but mainly because she was being so dramatic and just... rude. No tact, no grace, no courtesy. Bellowing at me over the roofs of arriving Ubers and taxis. :hilarious:

The poor dear had no idea how to communicate with her customers, let alone work at an expensive hotel that likes to pretend it offers "world class guest service!" or whatever drivel they tell the poorly trained and managed CM's that work there. It's not the first time at the Grand, nor will it be the last.

The walking route to the parks from the Paradise Pier Hotel is indeed long. It's longer than the walking route from some of the motels on Harbor Blvd. But for whatever reason, they refuse to let the paying guests at the Paradise Pier Hotel walk into the Grand from off the Disneyland Drive sidewalk.

Once upon a time, pre 2010, there was a park entrance into DCA specifically for Paradise Pier Hotel guests, which was nice because, you know, the hotel is called the Paradise Pier Hotel. 🤣

It was right across from the Golden Zephyr. When they did the big remodel of that area in 2009-2011 it was removed, and a new one was never designed in.

hotelgate_septemberninth2001tm.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

I just measured via the miracle of Google Earth.

From the lobby of the Paradise Pier Hotel up to the Downtown Disney security screening and through Downtown Disney, it is 3,400 feet (0.6 miles) to the compass in the middle of the park entry esplanade. The first weekend in November the Paradise Pier is charging $519 per night.

PPH2.png

From the lobby of the Marriott Fairfield Hotel (next to Mimi's Cafe) on Harbor to the crosswalk and over through security screening, it is 2,200 feet (0.4 miles) to the compass in the middle of the park entry esplanade. The first weekend in November the Fairfield is charging $278 per night.

From the lobby of the Tropicana Hotel (next to IHOP) on Harbor to the crosswalk and over through security screening, it is 1,350 feet (0.25 miles) to the compass in the middle of the park entry esplanade. The first weekend in November the Tropicana is charging $219 per night.

Last edited:

TP2000

Or, to put it another way, to equal the 3,400 foot walk from the Paradise Pier Hotel lobby to the esplanade compass, you need to stay at the new Hyatt House on Katella Avenue.

That hotel is also a 3,400 foot walk from the lobby to the esplanade compass. The first weekend in November the Hyatt House is charging $209 per night.

hyatt house.png

josh2000

They should offer some kind of tram or bus service from Paradise Pier. But seeing as they can't even offer a tram from the parking garage...I don't think it'll ever happen.

On my last visit to Disneyland, I had to walk 1.01 Miles to get from my hotel room to the esplanade, and then do it again at the end of the night. So I got my steps in for sure!

TrojanUSC

The gate off the sidewalk into the Grand Californian is locked and can only be opened with a valid Grand Californian hotel room card. 95% of the time the CM staffing the parking booth will stop you from entering if you can't/don't scan your valid hotel card to prove you are staying at the Grand.

The CM's often do this with questionable graciousness. A few years ago I had family staying in a Concierge level two-bedroom suite at the Grand and I had a valid hotel card after self-parking my own car across the street.

I let in a cute young family of strangers from the Paradise Pier whose young boys were all hyped to go to Cars Land and were talking about it waiting for the crosswalk light, and the snotty CM staffing the parking booth bellowed at them to scan their Grand card. I told her that I let them in because they were heading to Cars Land and I was staying in the Grand, and I got lectured and scolded for my good deed. She finished the public scolding, literally yelling at me over two lanes of incoming traffic, by telling me "Sir, next time you need to follow the guidelines you agreed to in your room contract!"

It was so hilariously memorable because she yelled the word "guidelines" as if those are immutable laws of nature. And this CM, exhibiting Disney's world-famous standards of hospitality and service, yelled at all of us and I got scolded for violating the "guidelines" in my "room contract". :rolleyes:

Now imagine that scenario playing out at a Four Seasons or the Montage. It never would, because their customer service standards are infinitely higher than the Grand Californian. But I digress...

@beachlover4444 in order to avoid public shame and scolding from Grand CM's, you need to exit the back door of the Paradise Pier and cut through the abandoned service road behind the abandoned AMC theater, and then enter the park via the security screening area next to the abandoned ESPNZone. The green arrow is your route, with the security screening noted by the blue line.

Do not attempt the red arrow route, because you have a room contract and guidelines to obey! ;)

View attachment 594125

What is the point of prohibiting PP guests? If you're a registered hotel guest on property you should be able to use your room key to access the Grand. I could see - MAYBE - prohibiting entry only before 11AM to avoid a morning rush, but that's about it.

This is a particularly silly rule especially considering anyone with a car can say they're dining and pull up to valet. Granted you have to pay if you don't actually dine. Also, anyone leaving DTD can walk into the Grand and out to PPH. So this isn't a security issue. It's just making people's lives more difficult for little reason?

TP2000

They should offer some kind of tram or bus service from Paradise Pier. But seeing as they can't even offer a tram from the parking garage...I don't think it'll ever happen.

What they should do is re-install the park entrance into Paradise Pier for Paradise Pier Hotel guests.

Or, if they can't do that, allow Paradise Pier Hotel guests to use their room card to scan into the sidewalk gate into the Grand Californian so they can get their kids to Cars Land quicker.

Or, if they can't do that, train their CM's to not yell and scold paying hotel guests who don't follow the "guidelines!" on a winter weekday when some little kids from Utah just want to get to Cars Land.

Last edited:

TP2000

What is the point of prohibiting PP guests? If you're a registered hotel guest on property you should be able to use your room key to access the Grand.

I have no idea. But it was made very clear to me that it was a "guideline!" that is sacrosanct. Even mid-day on a slow winter weekday.

I could see - MAYBE - prohibiting entry only before 11AM to avoid a morning rush, but that's about it.

You'd need a half-working brain to come up with a procedure that nuanced and rational.

The CM's at the Grand Californian, and their managers who write and train the "guidelines!", are not bright enough for that. Don't forget, you are paying more than $600 per night for "world class guest service!", and that concept is not to be questioned. It is holy. Have a magical day.

This is a particularly silly rule especially considering anyone with a car can say they're dining and pull up to valet.

To be fair, I dine at Napa Rose once or twice per year with friends or family, and they always check my name against a restaurant list they have there in the booth. The past few years I've Uber'ed to a Napa Rose dinner, and I have to roll the window down in back and talk to them personally to give them the name on the reservation. They seem to have that concept locked and loaded.

But the pedestrians wandering in off Disneyland Drive with their measly $400 per night Paradise Pier Hotel room keys are another story, and they are dealt with by yelling rudely over the roofs of arriving Ubers. Guidelines! 👿

Also, anyone leaving DTD can walk into the Grand and out to PPH. So this isn't a security issue. It's just making people's lives more difficult for little reason?

Correct. This is definitely not a security issue. For whatever reason, the brain trust of management at the Grand Californian has drawn this line in the sand. Peasants staying at the Paradise Pier Hotel (or even the Disneyland Hotel) are not allowed entry into the Grand via the sidewalk. They must walk the long way around and enter the hotel via the Saphora gate, and preferably after they have gone into Sephora and spritzed tester cologne on themselves to erase the stench of mid-priced Disney hotel rates off of themselves.

This only makes sense to middle-management CM's at the Grand Californian Hotel. If you were a middle manager at a Four Seasons, it would seem idiotic, bureaucratic, and petty.

But that just tells you how little they know at Four Seasons. Disney is world-class and has guidelines! 😉

Last edited:

Jefro

Or, to put it another way, to equal the 3,400 foot walk from the Paradise Pier Hotel lobby to the esplanade compass, you need to stay at the new Hyatt House on Katella Avenue.

That hotel is also a 3,400 foot walk from the lobby to the esplanade compass. The first weekend in November the Hyatt House is charging $209 per night.

View attachment 594148
I actually just had this convo with my brother in regards to a trip in March. He was thinking of staying at PP, and I had to "walk" him 😉 out of that idea. Our first visit we stayed at PP, and the distance rivals almost any decent hotel at half the price. It would be fine if the rooms were somehow worth the current cost, but that just isn't anywhere near true. Ironically, you can leave DCA thought the GC with no issues whatsoever to get to PP. Sacred ground goes one way? 🤔🙄

TP2000

I actually just had this convo with my brother in regards to a trip in March. He was thinking of staying at PP, and I had to "walk" him 😉 out of that idea. Our first visit we stayed at PP, and the distance rivals almost any decent hotel at half the price. It would be fine if the rooms were somehow worth the current cost, but that just isn't anywhere near true.

The Paradise Pier Hotel was built in 1985, over 35 years ago, as a non-Disney hotel and has had one hard remodel and slight remodels to soft goods and interior decor since then. It's nothing special. The rooms are average size for a mid-grade hotel.

Paradise Pier Hotel Standard Room 2019 - You are immersed in beige!
DSC00012.JPG

The facilities in the hotel range from mediocre (swimming pool, gym, lobby gift shop) to disappointing (the lobby bar is the saddest thing ever), to simply closed indefinitely with no known replacement (PCH Grill restaurant, Yamabuki restaurant).

PCH Grill restaurant is Closed - The 1990's made a comeback just as they closed this!
Disney-Paradise-Pier-Hotel-PCH-Grill-Closed-micechat.jpg

And yes, the ceiling panels throughout the lobby really do look that wonky and dingy. Immersed!

About one third of the rooms (east facing, above 5th floor) have nice views of the backside of Paradise Pier and the OC hills beyond. About 20% of the rooms offer quite stellar views of DCA from above the 10th floor.

disney+paradise+pier+hotel+review+room+view+1.jpeg

But half the rooms in the hotel face west, and have views of... hotel pool, massive surface parking lot, Anaheim tract homes stretching to Stanton tract homes.

3681057456_cfd6fc4c9c_b.jpg

Ironically, you can leave DCA thought the GC with no issues whatsoever to get to PP. Sacred ground goes one way? 🤔🙄

Which makes it all so ridiculous. And more than a little sad that the Grand Californian management would train their entry-level CM's to uphold such nonsensical "guidelines!" to paying customers. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

To be fair, I dine at Napa Rose once or twice per year with friends or family, and they always check my name against a restaurant list they have there in the booth. The past few years I've Uber'ed to a Napa Rose dinner, and I have to roll the window down in back and talk to them personally to give them the name on the reservation. They seem to have that concept locked and loaded.

I've been there a few times in the last few months and they've never checked my name against anything. Just told them I was meeting friends at Storytellers.

Jefro

The Paradise Pier Hotel was built in 1985, over 35 years ago, as a non-Disney hotel and has had one hard remodel and slight remodels to soft goods and interior decor since then. It's nothing special. The rooms are average size for a mid-grade hotel.

Paradise Pier Hotel Standard Room 2019 - You are immersed in beige!
DSC00012.JPG

The facilities in the hotel range from mediocre (swimming pool, gym, lobby gift shop) to disappointing (the lobby bar is the saddest thing ever), to simply closed indefinitely with no known replacement (PCH Grill restaurant, Yamabuki restaurant).

PCH Grill restaurant is Closed - The 1990's made a comeback just as they closed this!
Disney-Paradise-Pier-Hotel-PCH-Grill-Closed-micechat.jpg

And yes, the ceiling panels throughout the lobby really do look that wonky and dingy. Immersed!

About one third of the rooms (east facing, above 5th floor) have nice views of the backside of Paradise Pier and the OC hills beyond. About 20% of the rooms offer quite stellar views of DCA from above the 10th floor.

disney+paradise+pier+hotel+review+room+view+1.jpeg

But half the rooms in the hotel face west, and have views of... hotel pool, massive surface parking lot, Anaheim tract homes stretching to Stanton tract homes.

3681057456_cfd6fc4c9c_b.jpg

Which makes it all so ridiculous. And more than a little sad that the Grand Californian management would train their entry-level CM's to uphold such nonsensical "guidelines!" to paying customers. :rolleyes:
That was the room we stayed in, minus the Pixar pillow. Maybe that would have made all the difference (soft remodel indeed 😂)

And we had the lovely parking lot view although only a partial view of the pool. Which made it a little more mysterious because we weren't sure exactly how to get there from our room above....

But the quality can be beat pretty handily by some place like the SpringHill Suites down the road for about a third of the cost. We stayed there in September and it was about the same distance walking wise and a really comfortable room.
snaad-suite-0024-hor-feat.jpg

TP2000

I've been there a few times in the last few months and they've never checked my name against anything. Just told them I was meeting friends at Storytellers.

Ah, okay. I haven't been to Napa Rose since Christmas 2019 - before Covid and its 18 month closure.

The Grand Californian looks great from 50 feet away, but once you get up close you discover it's fairly amateurish and unpolished with its service. And at its price point, that's criminal.

You just get the immediate sense the Grand is being managed by people who have never actually gone to a real hospitality college program, but instead were theme park ride operators and burger flippers who got promoted to a manager job and now just play "Fancy Hotel!" for a living. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TP2000

That was the room we stayed in, minus the Pixar pillow. Maybe that would have made all the difference (soft remodel indeed 😂)

And we had the lovely parking lot view although only a partial view of the pool. Which made it a little more mysterious because we weren't sure exactly how to get there from our room above....

But the quality can be beat pretty handily by some place like the SpringHill Suites down the road for about a third of the cost. We stayed there in September and it was about the same distance walking wise and a really comfortable room.View attachment 594244.

There's at least a dozen shiny new corporate hotels in Anaheim operating in that mid-price range that offer a very fresh and modern product. It's perfect for the family tourist demographic.

And as we've seen, they are often a shorter walk to the parks than the Paradise Pier Hotel is.

Covid really screwed up the entire business model for the Resort District and it will be at least another year until it recovers, but.... I really can't wait to see what the impact of having two brand-new luxury hotels are on the Disneyland Hotel/Grand/Paradise Pier business model. And more importantly, how TDA responds once the brand new Westin and JWMarriott begin full-speed operation in 2022.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom