Park capacity?

Anagha in Wonderland

Original Poster
Disney recently talked about the park capacity never being full again. Does this mean that opportunities for guests to choose park locations and dates will be curtailed? Will all the furloughed cast members be called back? I assume DW will still have peak seasons…
Inputs please?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Disney recently talked about the park capacity never being full again. Does this mean that opportunities for guests to choose park locations and dates will be curtailed? Will all the furloughed cast members be called back? I assume DW will still have peak seasons…
Inputs please?
The park reservation system is here to stay, so Disney is controlling capacity via that mechanism. Which also means we won't see those days where the parks hit capacity on the day (like we used to on NYE, July 4 etc).

I would expect that within the next few months all cast will be called back. I don't think the remaining list is all that long at this point.

Disney's goal is to remove peak seasons and manage capacity across the year, along with the concept of "less guests, who spend more."

GimpYancIent

The park reservation system is here to stay, so Disney is controlling capacity via that mechanism. Which also means we won't see those days where the parks hit capacity on the day (like we used to on NYE, July 4 etc).

I would expect that within the next few months all cast will be called back. I don't think the remaining list is all that long at this point.

Disney's goal is to remove peak seasons and manage capacity across the year, along with the concept of "less guests, who spend more."
Looks that way. You are correct about "less guests" but it will be interesting to see about the "spend more" part. Disney (in the past) was never concerned about reaching capacity, it was actually a bragging point that Disney could pack the parks. Over the last decade it has become a concern? Crap, it has become a catch phrase to raise prices and work to manipulate attendance at the convenience of the company. Disney's goal is to skim as much money as possible from guests, at the companies choosing, regardless of the volume of guests at the parks.

Disstevefan1

I have a dream that the reservation system will go away and there would again be a true no blackout AP for WDW.

This is never going to happen.

COVID allowed THE GREAT RESET at WDW.

Allowing TWDC to do all the things they always wanted to do in the name of COVID.

We now have a "Before COVID WDW" and a "After COVID WDW"

As bad as it was in the "Before COVID WDW" in the way of crowding, I will miss it forever for a lot of reasons..

TikibirdLand

I agree. The part I'm not understanding is why, if WDW has reservations, is it taking multiple hours in standby lines? Seems that, if you're limiting the number of people in the park, you can plan and staff sufficiently for maximum guest satisfaction.

Maybe that's not their goal is with the reservations...

Disstevefan1

I agree. The part I'm not understanding is why, if WDW has reservations, is it taking multiple hours in standby lines? Seems that, if you're limiting the number of people in the park, you can plan and staff sufficiently for maximum guest satisfaction.

I think the reservation system has to do with staffing; allowing WDW keep the staff in WDW to the absolute minimum, saving costs.

The multiple hours in standby is due to simply, a totally broken system; Genie, Genie + and ILL

I do not think the two are related.

TikibirdLand

I think the reservation system has to do with staffing; allowing WDW keep the staff in WDW to the absolute minimum, saving costs.

The multiple hours in standby is due to simply, a totally broken system; Genie, Genie + and ILL

I do not think the two are related.
I'm not convinced that they aren't. Are they running all sides on rides that have that capability? If so, I think you're right. If that's the case, maybe reducing the number of reservations for the park further would help with the wait times?

I do agree with the problem of capacity. They've ripped out all the crowd-eating stuff at DHS and DAK and replaced them with spectacular but small capacity attractions. That is a big deal that could be handled by the reservation system, IMO.

Touchdown

Nemo opening at AK soon will greatly help capacity. DHS still desperately needs more capacity it’s still missing two shows (Jedi training, Mermaid) and crowds are significantly skewed to the morning due to Fantasmic and SWGS not restarting, recently it’s been further hampered by ToT being forced to only operate with one shaft. While I mourn the loss of the Main Street Theatre I actually think that DHS Could use the theatre show more. Having a 45 min DCA Hyperion like show that hits that sweet spot of becoming a must do for people already at DHS without driving more people there would greatly help with midday crowds.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I'm not convinced that they aren't. Are they running all sides on rides that have that capability? If so, I think you're right. If that's the case, maybe reducing the number of reservations for the park further would help with the wait times?

I do agree with the problem of capacity. They've ripped out all the crowd-eating stuff at DHS and DAK and replaced them with spectacular but small capacity attractions. That is a big deal that could be handled by the reservation system, IMO.
Right now, assuming they are actually "limiting capacity" the current problem is revenge vacating + spring break + a totally broken system; Genie, Genie +, ILL

I think mostly it's a totally broken system; Genie, Genie +, ILL.

Even before COVID, WDW did not run the rides to capacity, I never understood why.

Yes, they could greatly reduce the parks capacity to reduce the wait times but then they would make less money.

Maybe the solution will be to greatly reduce the parks capacity and greatly increase the ticket prices.

Over time it felt like to me, with the constant price increases on everything, WDW was evolving into more of an exclusive vacation destinations instead of a destination for the masses.

Maybe WDW will evolve into even more of an exclusive vacation; only for those with a LOT of Money will be able to afford it.

GimpYancIent

Right now, assuming they are actually "limiting capacity" the current problem is revenge vacating + spring break + a totally broken system; Genie, Genie +, ILL

I think mostly it's a totally broken system; Genie, Genie +, ILL.

Even before COVID, WDW did not run the rides to capacity, I never understood why.

Yes, they could greatly reduce the parks capacity to reduce the wait times but then they would make less money.

Maybe the solution will be to greatly reduce the parks capacity and greatly increase the ticket prices.

Over time it felt like to me, with the constant price increases on everything, WDW was evolving into more of an exclusive vacation destinations instead of a destination for the masses.

Maybe WDW will evolve into even more of an exclusive vacation; only for those with a LOT of Money will be able to afford it.
Yes that looks like the direction the clueless upper echelons of Disney management want to go except the fact the people that have serious wealth and don't blink at cost don't see Disney properties as high end vacation destinations. Amusement locations but not exclusive destinations.

TikibirdLand

I think they're well on their way. For me, at least, it's value for money. They're WAY off the mark. DW and I are planning to visit Florida this fall. For the first time in over 25 years, I don't think WDW is on the itinerary.

GimpYancIent

That’s thinking from the guest perspective.

From a spreadsheet perspective… no reason to achieve ‘maximum’ guest satisfaction when ‘adequate’ guest satisfaction is far more profitable.
Exactly the problem. Short term "adequate" has profit potential, long term "adequate" puts you in the middle of the herd and limited profit potential. You want to be top of the heap, #1, make max money, not be an also ran and stand out from the herd you need to work at being the best. For max profitability "adequate" is not acceptable.

Disstevefan1

I think they're well on their way. For me, at least, it's value for money. They're WAY off the mark. DW and I are planning to visit Florida this fall. For the first time in over 25 years, I don't think WDW is on the itinerary.
I agree. Before COVID, my family of three had the platinum AP for over a decade. We have not to been in WDW since Dec. 2019.
Ironically even though we were APs our very last visit was a hard ticket, Very Merry Christmas Party.

There is a lot to do in FL other than Disney; Universal and Seaworld for example has no reservation system.

GimpYancIent

Wait so if peak seasons are omitted then I guess the purpose of casual temporary roles will be gone. Or will it continue because crowds are often high during the summer?
There are way too many factors as to why people travel more and vacation at certain times of the year. Disney's attempts at crowd manipulation will not change people's travel and vacationing just were. The more difficult / expensive Disney makes going to Disney at certain times of the year the more people will go somewhere else at that time of year to vacation and spend money.

G00fyDad

Because Disney has long since gave up on guest satisfaction and is now more worried about stockholder satisfaction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom