Paranoid about Dining Plan

psuchad

For the last two months I have been planning for my trip next year and am stuck on the whole dining option with the Magic Your Way package. From my understanding you have to buy the dining package for every day that you are staying at a resort. So in order to make the package worth while you would have to eat on property every meal. So somebody like me who may want to go downtown to Red Lobster or a similar restaurant just one day during the stay would not really benefit with this package.

Also for what I understand most of the site down table dinners need to have reservations placed weeks or months in advanced. I want this trip to be enjoyable and not structured in a strict itinerary planned out months in advanced. So again based on this the dining package does not seem like a good deal.

I would like some insight from everyone here. Are these really problems or am I just being paranoid a year before my vacation.

Moustronaut

psuchad said:
For the last two months I have been planning for my trip next year and am stuck on the whole dining option with the Magic Your Way package. From my understanding you have to buy the dining package for every day that you are staying at a resort. So in order to make the package worth while you would have to eat on property every meal. So somebody like me who may want to go downtown to Red Lobster or a similar restaurant just one day during the stay would not really benefit with this package.
Not really a huge problem. If you want to take a night off from Disney, book a dinner at one of Disney's signature restaurants. They require two dinner "points" or whatever you want to call them. This would leave you with a free night to eat elsewhere without losing value in the plan.

psuchad said:
Also for what I understand most of the site down table dinners need to have reservations placed weeks or months in advanced. I want this trip to be enjoyable and not structured in a strict itinerary planned out months in advanced. So again based on this the dining package does not seem like a good deal.
Depends on what time of year you are going. Spring time, yes it will be very busy and Priority Seatings are almost a must. But other times of the year you can usually make same day PS requests as long as you can be flexible with times. My wife and I rarely make our PS seatings in advance for trips during the fall. If you can be flexible about times, this really isn't a problem.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I can’t really comment on the dinning plan because I’m an AP holder so I can’t get it but as to the Priority Seating (now known as Advanced Reservations) there are only a few restaurants that you will need to make AR at way in advance. Depending on your party size (4 or less seems to be the magic number) most of them can be made the day of or the day before. The exceptions would be character dinning and the restaurants that you can view Wishes from (California grill, Ohanna's etc). As long as you can be flexible as to times and restaurants you should be OK. With over 200 places to eat at WDW there really is no need to eat off property. You will find that the atmosphere, service and food quality is very high.

Upvote 0

littlered

We used the dinnig plan on our trip in the beginning of May. We found it to be great and very easy to use. technically you would get two meals a day for each night you are staying. how many meals you use in a day is up to you. You can use 1 one day and 3 the next day. We used 2 table service meals in one day. One for breakfast & one for lunch than a counter service much later in the day for a late dinner. If you eat three meals a day you would be able to go somewhere else such as red lobster. I tend to stay away from resturants that I can get at home though, so we always eat in the park. As far as reservations we only made them a few weeks in advance for things we wanted on the first day. We made all of our other reservations a day or two before at our hotel. The only place we had trouble getting into was the Whispering Canyon Cafe. We ended up doing lunch instead of dinner there and had a great time. Chef Mickeys might also be hard to get into. We found it to be a great deal, with four adults we found that it more than payed for itself everyday. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

psuchad

Original Poster
This is a honeymoon trip so it will just be me and my then wife. One modification that I would like to see Disney make to this plan is to rate each meal with a point value.

Snack 1 point
Counter Lunch 3 points
Table Dinner 6 points

That way if you want say 4 snacks in one day and no lunch you will still be ok. Or 2 counter meals and 4 snacks. Disney still gets their money, people are still in the parks, and everybody has more flexibility.

Edit: Is there a way other than by phone to make Advanced Reservations?

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
The plan works out well for many people, but you need to do a little homework to be comfortable with it and use it to its best. With the expanded restaurants included in the plan it can be well worth it. If you remain uncertain, the old fashioned way works just fine, particularly if you are not big on sit down meals for every dinner...just doing eat and run or snacks on some days.

As for PS, there are only a few events where this is needed much in advance, like Character breakfasts, and Hoop de do Review. Most other restaurants including Cinderella's castle and California Grill will have openings if you check the morning of your planned visit. Many people just like to be sure that they have scheduled their favorite places and not worry about doing it each day. I would suggest that if you have some special meals planned, like at Cali Grill, Artist Point or anywhere specific that you do make those plans in advance to be sure.

The time of year you are going shouldn't be too crowded, so that will also help in your flexability.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
psuchad said:
Edit: Is there a way other than by phone to make Advanced Reservations?
Yes, you can make them at guest services at the parks which is what we will usually do as soon as we arrive if we are planning a table service lunch or dinner.

Upvote 0

psuchad

Original Poster
Thrawn said:
Also: Red Lobster? Are you kidding? They have GOOD seafood places at WDW.

That was just an example. In the past we have eaten at the Crab House, Macaroni's, and other places that we don't have at home. <o ="">

Edit to remove smiley faces that always appear in my posts.
</o>

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

Allow me to add...

Once you check-in, all of your meal entitlements are pooled into a central account for maximum flexiblity.

Based on what you posted, you have 2 guest staying for 10 nights. So in truth you will have 20 table service meals, 20 counter service meals, and 20 snacks, that can be used by anyone in your room, anytime during your stay until they are all depleted or until midnight on the date you are scheduled to check out. You are free to use the meals for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner.

There are 3 dinner shows and 9 signature restuarants that use 2 table service entitlements per person, as these locations average over $50 per person. So feel free to eat both inside and outside of the world, and still save $$$ on your Disney meals!

Hope this puts your mind at ease, and enjoy your Disney Vacation! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

psuchad said:
This is a honeymoon trip so it will just be me and my then wife. One modification that I would like to see Disney make to this plan is to rate each meal with a point value.

Snack 1 point
Counter Lunch 3 points
Table Dinner 6 points

That way if you want say 4 snacks in one day and no lunch you will still be ok. Or 2 counter meals and 4 snacks. Disney still gets their money, people are still in the parks, and everybody has more flexibility.

They used to have something like that. It was a dining add on that gave you a cash value on your room key. You prepaid it when you booked your trip, then just spent it anywhere on property, any way you wanted. My wife and I did our honeymoon that way in '99. It was awesome but a lot more expensive than just $35 a night per person.

Disney may still offer this as part of their platinum package, i'm not sure.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

psuchad said:
That way if you want say 4 snacks in one day and no lunch you will still be ok. Or 2 counter meals and 4 snacks.

You can eat more than one snack a day if you want and do 2 counter meals and 4 snacks in one day, or even three sit downs in one day. The plan is that flexible.

I like going off property for some meals now and then, I like going to Jungle Jim's in the Crossroads for hamburgers, they are excellent there and right next door is the Marble Slab ice cream parlor where all the ice cream is homemade, yummm.

Upvote 0

Thorphin

Keep in mind that the Dining plan adds $35/day/person, so as long as you are eating an average of $35 worth of food (per adult, $10 per child), per night, at qualified restaurants, you are still saving money. The dining plan doesn't take away flexibility, as you can still choose to eat off property and not even use some of your on property meal entitlements.

If, for example, you do something like a dinner show or an upscale restaurant at Epcot, you can easily drop $100 for two adults. If you've only paid $35 for the dining plan that day and eat nothing else that day, you're still $30 ahead. So, that extra night of eating at Red Lobster, or McDonalds, isn't going to be a waste of money. Chances are, that for only $35 a night, you're easily going to end up ahead of the game regardless.

As for advanced dining reservations, you by no means need to make them, if that's not how you want to vacation. Some restaurants, like Cinderella's Royal Table, dinner shows, and character breakfasts (especially Chef Mickey's) will fill up, but not 1 or 2 years in advance. You may be able to eek into these even if you wait until arrival to book a meal, but don't hold your breath. Most other restaurants, however, you'll be able to get a table without a reservation at all, or with one made the day of your meal or of your arrival. You can think of it like a Fast Pass. You'll still be able to ride Test Track or Splash Mountain without a fast pass, but building in the structure that the Fast pass "reservation" provides will also let you get in to the ride sooner.

Also, with the exception of the really popular restaurants (mainly the ones listed above, I think), you are just making a priority seating without obligation. If you make a PS and don't show (because you decided to eat off property, rest, or go to another park, for example), there is no penalty for bailing.

The dining plan and priority seatings (Advanced Dining Reservations) and there for your convenience. If you want to do a couple things ahead of time, the idea is that your vacation will be much more low-stress. Don't forget to have fun! :)

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

Currently there are only 2 packages with a meal plan.

Magic Your Way Package Plus Dinning - includes 1 table service meal, 1 counter service meal, 1 snack, per guest (age 3+) per night of your stay.

Magic Your Way Premium Package - includes 3 meals per guest (age 3+) per night of your stay, plus unlimited select recreation, LaNouba tickets, and other benifits.

The previous Silver, Gold, and Platium Plans have been discountued, as did the old Food & Fun card from years past.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Thorphin said:
Also, with the exception of the really popular restaurants (mainly the ones listed above, I think), you are just making a priority seating without obligation. If you make a PS and don't show (because you decided to eat off property, rest, or go to another park, for example), there is no penalty for bailing.

First, let me point out that you should cancel your PS reservation if you decide you aren't going to go, it is the proper thing to do, even though there is no penalty, let someone else get in and enjoy the magic. Second, if you want to have breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table you need to make those PS reservations when the open the phone lines which is 90 days ahead of time start dialing at 6:50am. The other restaurant that is difficult to get a PS is Le Cellier in Epcot because the place is small and is excellent. Also, if you are going to want to eat during the 5p-6:30p range, it is best to make those reservations somewhat ahead of time since families with small kids tend to book those times and they do go quickly. We usually don't have a problem getting later times.

This is what I would suggest, decide on what restaurants you would really like to eat in and just make PS for those few during your stay ahead of time and fill in the rest later. This way you don't feel so regimented with planning everything down to the minute. I don't like doing that either, so this route tends to work well for me since it gives me some flexibility.

As far as it being worthwhile, consider that dinner at Chef Mickey's for an adult is $25 and $10 child, plus tax & gratuity. Under the plan paying $10 for a child per day, you've already broken even on that deal. Most of the buffet's are about $10 for a child so it is worth it because then you get a counter service meal and snack which would be at least another $7-8. For an adult eating at a non-buffet restaurant, you get appetizer, entree, coffee, dessert and soft drink, so consider the breakdown that the average entree is about $17, appetizer $5, dessert $5, coffee $3, soft drink $2. It's not hard to see why this is a good deal.

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
I have calculated this plan out like crazy and my conclusion is this plan is only beneficial for people who do not have an AP and who tend to eat a lot of sit down meals in Disney. If you are that kind of person then the plan will save you money. If you are not that kind of person then you will lose money using the plan.

Upvote 0

Thorphin

shoppingnut said:
First, let me point out that you should cancel your PS reservation if you decide you aren't going to go, it is the proper thing to do, even though there is no penalty, let someone else get in and enjoy the magic.

...This is what I would suggest, decide on what restaurants you would really like to eat in and just make PS for those few during your stay ahead of time and fill in the rest later. This way you don't feel so regimented with planning everything down to the minute. I don't like doing that either, so this route tends to work well for me since it gives me some flexibility.

Thanks for providing clarifications for my very vague timings on those restaurants, shoppingnut. I have little experience with booking them, personally.

I completely agree that you should definitely cancel any PS which you find yourself unable to make it to, if at all possible. This is easy to do at Guest Services at any park or at any resort, if you don't have access to a phone to call WDW-DINE.

I also like the recommendation stated by shoppingnut about finding a good balance of planning some restaurants, but not all. It's a nice balance that I always follow and am happy with the results. :)

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Im surethe plan is more once tax is included, closer to $39, I was going to do it, but AP discount on room rate and disney dinning card made it a non starter.That and when i looked at the menus available on line realised that the girls would never eat that amount of food. Now if Coke was included for the trip...........

Im sure it will work for some people, but it didnt make sense for our trip/

Upvote 0

figmentmom

We 've always preferred to spend the majority of our time in the parks in attractions, not in restaurants - we're not big eaters, and the dining plan never appealed to us for that reason. We always have a refrigerator in the hotel room, anyway, and keep breakfast and snack items there. Counter-service lunches are usually our only meals in the parks.

Since you'll be on your honeymoon, you may have an entirely different attitude about full-service restaurants, though! Take a good look at the menus, plan the meals at restaurants that appeal to you, make your priority seating arrangements, and have fun. As others have said, leave some space for flexibility. Above all, don't get stressed out about whether or not you're "getting your money's worth" each and every day - just enjoy yourselves! :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom