Pandora Has Already Changed...

Jybbers

Original Poster
Hello,

We recently started vlogging and posting videos on youtube(brand new, still learning everything), but we went to Animal Kingdom yesterday and noticed some changes in the lighting at night. The land was lit up way more than it used to be and most of the ground is no longer glowing.

I'm sure this was due to safety issues since it used to be so dark and you really could'nt see in front of you when walking through. But the new lighting has completely taken away the visual appeal of the land at night in my opinion. Check out the short video we took of it. Wondering if this is permanent or why this happened...

Pixieish

Someone posted in these forums that if you just kind of sit and wait a bit for your eyes to adjust that it's way more impressive than if you're just walking around.

Jybbers

Original Poster
Someone posted in these forums that if you just kind of sit and wait a bit for your eyes to adjust that it's way more impressive than if you're just walking around.
Last night was not impressive because of all the extra lighting they had on, lighting up the paths. Most of the ground was not even glowing anymore. We have been a few times and there was almost no lighting like that. The plants and everything were still lighted/glowing but even the external lighting took away from that in my opinion.

Jybbers

Original Poster
I was there tonight and I saw plenty of the colored floor and lights. It did look a little darker but I've only been in the land around 3 times at night since it opened. Still looks great though.
I have always been a fan of the land at night and how visually stunning it was. All that extra lighting that was not there before really took away from it, at least from what I had experienced before. We had someone new with us that had never seen it before and we described it all day to them, to see that it looked like that in the video. Very dissappointing this time. Hopefully its not permanent and there was a reason for the extra lighting.

DfromATX

On our last trip, AK was open at night, but no Pandora yet. I remember thinking it was very dark and it was a totally different ambiance being there at night, pretty cool and not very crowded. We're going back in June so I've been looking forward to seeing Pandora and the glowing ground.

FoozieBear

Was there in August for the first time. The land looked gorgeous, but it was absolutely insane just how dark it was, and a major security issue, especially to those travelling with young kids. Extra lighting is needed, and I support it. Losing the thematic elements is a shame, but WDI was crazy for designing something that poorly lit.

Corgi

I went in June. The black light lit up everything amazingly. It was so beautiful seeing the land at night. I can see why they would think it's too dark though. I remember at one point as I was walking into Pandora from AK I pulled out my phone to use the flashlight because it was beginning to get pitch black.

But still... it made it so lifelike and real. It was pretty awesome.

JIMINYCR

The entire AK park has always been much darker than any of the other parks. With guests driving scooters they cant control in the daytime... darker pathways get more perilous. I would have thought the design team would have done more distinct colored lighting on the pathways. It would still allow the floral lighting they want to impress us by to show up well.

Raineman

The colored ground (paths) is paint illuminated with black light. There is nothing to break from what I understand.
What are the chances that the paint has started to wear a bit already, after only 7 months? This may be something that needs to be touched up on a regular basis.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
What are the chances that the paint has started to wear a bit already, after only 7 months? This may be something that needs to be touched up on a regular basis.
How many feet have trampled it since opening. I think its something they will probably freshen up a couple times of year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom