Pandora Flight of Passage - Can Big People Fit on the Ride?

Should Disney be taking larger body types into consideration on the newer rides?

• Yes

Votes: 90 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 99 52.4%

• Total voters

RSoxNo1

which is why we should wait until say July before we worry or even wonder what the load times are
it would be like taking someone from your beloved Red Sox and see they are hitting .225 March 8 in spring training
In the wake of Frozen Ever After, I think we're allowed to acknowledge the concern. Even at an 8 minute cycle time the capacity is still only 1440 an hour which is too low for an E-ticket.

CaptainAmerica

I avoided that one. Better you than me.lol

Don't most insurance companies already charge higher premiums if you're over a certain BMI or a tobacco user?
The PR spin is that they charge everyone the same, higher, premium. Then you get a "discount" if you're under the certain BMI or not a tobacco user. Silly people think that's something different.

CaptainAmerica

In the wake of Frozen Ever After, I think we're allowed to acknowledge the concern. Even at an 8 minute cycle time the capacity is still only 1440 an hour which is too low for an E-ticket.
While true, FoP's height requirement will keep demand from ever reaching Frozen levels (after the first few months).

twebber55

im all for this discussion just not during softs when they are testing and adjusting

21stamps

My family just got back from the 5/21/2017 Passholder Preview of Pandora. It's a beautiful, if not awkward addition to Animal Kingdom. Anywho, my son and I were not able to ride Flight of Passage. We're both 6'9" and the leg braces didn't click far enough. I'm used to getting turned down at other theme parks, just not Disney.

Sorry. That's a bummer. This is exactly why they should have a test seat out front!!!

Hopefully they compensated you with an anytime FP.

21stamps

I would be shocked if they don't have a seat out front by open. It's crazy that they don't have one already, especially with the height requirements and the uniqueness of the ride vehicle itself.
Absolutely.

I just went thru every ride on the app.. surprisingly, none of them list a height or weight max limit. Now I guess I understand the shock by some.

Does anyone know if there is a technical limit? Or if it's just situational?

disneygeek90

Absolutely.

I just went thru every ride on the app.. surprisingly, none of them list a height or weight max limit. Now I guess I understand the shock by some.

Does anyone know if there is a technical limit? Or if it's just situational?
It sounds like it's a little situational. I've read others claiming it's where you "carry" your weight (stomach, lower body, length of legs etc). I didn't notice any of my group having difficulty, but it was the first day and didn't know that this would end up being an issue so it's possible I just didn't see.

A simple test car out front would resolve a lot of the disappointment and frustration people are having.

correcaminos

They've never done a ride with a restraint or ride mechanics anywhere near like FoP. So, I think it's pretty obvious as to "what changed" since this is not like anything they've done previously.
That's actually not true, they just haven't done it here in the US. The Tron ride is very similar from what people have said. I wonder how many people are turned away on that ride.

As a petite woman standing at just a hair over 5' tall, I am glad when they don't discount smaller people riding things. I know it stinks for taller than average but glad that it isn't done so I'm left feeling like a kid again - which btw my 9 year old and I are not off in both height and weight, so some of us small gals are really child sized. As a taller person you may have to squeeze yourself in, but at least harnesses don't hit you in your ear or you feel they aren't quite as snug as you would like. It goes both ways and I do think that you would have more people turned away if you had to change the ride to accommodate larger sizes better and ignore the smaller ones.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is coming from an engineers perspective, so take it for what it is worth.

Designing something to work with anything is, at best, unrealistic and more often, simply not possible.

You can't design a building that will never fall down or be blown away. You can't design a car that will never break down. Just like you can't design an attraction that can support every body type.

doctornick

That's actually not true, they just haven't done it here in the US. The Tron ride is very similar from what people have said. I wonder how many people are turned away on that ride.

I am well aware of Tron, but even though the seat is similar, the ride mechanics are completely different. And, in fact, I don't think the restraints are the same (others can feel free to correct me if I am incorrect) because it doesn't lock in the legs the way FoP does. And the legs seem to be a big issue for many people who are unable to ride.

This is a completely different ride than anything Disney -- and perhaps anyone else -- has every done before and that comes with some limitations. Yes, the "bike coaster" type seats and restraints have been used in other rides, but not on a simulator where there are tactile effects built into the restraints the way there is with FoP.

correcaminos

I am well aware of Tron, but even though the seat is similar, the ride mechanics are completely different. And, in fact, I don't think the restraints are the same (others can feel free to correct me if I am incorrect) because it doesn't lock in the legs the way FoP does. And the legs seem to be a big issue for many people who are unable to ride.

This is a completely different ride than anything Disney -- and perhaps anyone else -- has every done before and that comes with some limitations. Yes, the "bike coaster" type seats and restraints have been used in other rides, but not on a simulator where there are tactile effects built into the restraints the way there is with FoP.
I just watched a couple videos, there is something behind the leg - a bar that you have to fit behind. So not a lot, but it isn't just a free for all with the legs in place. I never said they were exactly the same though, but a few elsewhere have compared the two.

While the mechanics of the ride are different, the positioning and such are quite the same. That's all I was comparing - nothing to do with the ride itself since the actual ride isn't the issue for people, but the restraints.

tribbleorlfl

I get that there is a delicate balance between ride experience, safety and accessibility and that means not all body types can be accommodated on all rides. It is a fair question to ask, however, if the optimal balance has been reached by the current restraint design to allow the maximum number of people to ride.

Personally, after riding FoP, I don't think they have. The restraints seem overly-restrictive for the experience and will leave out a wide variety of people (and not just those who are overweight).

Have long legs? You might not be able to fold them up underneath enough to engage the leg restraints. Broad-shouldered, barrel-chested or muscular calves /thighs? You might not be able to squeeze in enough for the back brace to engage. Have a stiff back or limited mobility? You might not be able to lean forward enough. Are you a minor who has no problem fitting but your accompanying adult can't ride? No Soarin' Over Pandora for you.

I also suspect once Pandora opens, they will be less than accommodating to those with physical limitations who might need more time to properly engage the restraints when hourly rider count starts to dip.

I've heard anecdotal accounts that as many as 1:5 guests being denied from riding and that is simply too high for the headliner attraction in Disney's latest multi-million expansion.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I've heard anecdotal accounts that as many as 1:5 guests being denied from riding and that is simply too high for the headliner attraction in Disney's latest multi-million expansion.
As near as I can tell, this 20% figure tracks back to a single reviewer that got this number from a sample size of either 16-32 guests during the first couple of days of operation. With a sample size that low, all it would take is couple of people having an issue to skew the numbers in either direction, but many people ran with it because lets face it, bad news sells.

There are even more anecdotal reports that would put the "unable to ride" number at zero, but again, they are based on sample sizes of 1 to 2 ride vehicles making them worthless. Those reports get lost in the din as "Everything is working fine" just does not make people make the mouse click.

tribbleorlfl

As near as I can tell, this 20% figure tracks back to a single reviewer that got this number from a sample size of either 16-32 guests during the first couple of days of operation. With a sample size that low, all it would take is couple of people having an issue to skew the numbers in either direction, but many people ran with it because lets face it, bad news sells.

There are even more anecdotal reports that would put the "unable to ride" number at zero, but again, they are based on sample sizes of 1 to 2 ride vehicles making them worthless. Those reports get lost in the din as "Everything is working fine" just does not make people make the mouse click.
I'm an economist, so you don't have explain basic statistics to me. That is why I highlighted that these accounts were anecdotal and used the term "up to 1:5." Without having data to support, I suspect the number to be much closer to 10%.

Reportedly ride attendants were logging denied riders for each cycle, so the Imagineers know what the true rate is as well as their tolerable rate. If more people are getting denied than they assumed, they will make adjustments to increase the amount of people who can ride. Surely with such a novel ride system they built in a margin that can be dialed back slightly to achieve optimal ridership and it sounds like that's exactly what they've been doing.

TyrantBossMedia

Original Poster
I get that there is a delicate balance between ride experience, safety and accessibility and that means not all body types can be accommodated on all rides. It is a fair question to ask, however, if the optimal balance has been reached by the current restraint design to allow the maximum number of people to ride.

Personally, after riding FoP, I don't think they have. The restraints seem overly-restrictive for the experience and will leave out a wide variety of people (and not just those who are overweight).

Have long legs? You might not be able to fold them up underneath enough to engage the leg restraints. Broad-shouldered, barrel-chested or muscular calves /thighs? You might not be able to squeeze in enough for the back brace to engage. Have a stiff back or limited mobility? You might not be able to lean forward enough. Are you a minor who has no problem fitting but your accompanying adult can't ride? No Soarin' Over Pandora for you.

I also suspect once Pandora opens, they will be less than accommodating to those with physical limitations who might need more time to properly engage the restraints when hourly rider count starts to dip.

That is EXACTLY my point. Of course when I write that the Disney loyalists on this board attack me and other people larger than your average size. And 1 out of 5 (that is 20% of ALL GUESTS) are being turned away from this ride. That is unacceptable.

This is a trend with Disney's most recent rides in Walt Disney World. Seven Dwarves Mine Train coaster is so constrictive that it is painful to ride and cut off my circulation in my legs. I am a 6'4" former division I football player, and I have heard the same complaints from other friends of mine who are in the NFL. They were even unable to ride the rides with their children.

Disney keeps tailoring the rides for smaller and smaller people. Why? To save money, to make the cars smaller, to make the ride smaller, to take up less real estate. They even make clothing in sizes smaller and it is more and more difficult to find larger clothes.
But the smaller people the "averaged" sized as they consider themselves LOVE to buy the XXL and XXXL clothes that some of us NEED to wear. But they buy it because they like baggy clothes, or "clothes you can sleep in". So while these people mock the bigger people and disregard our height, weight, build as an aberration......they sure do love to buy the clothing that is made for us specifically.

I am also seeing more and more that these boards are like high school. A big clique of people who shout down anything that goes against or points out a flaw about Disney. Sadly the moderators do the same in many ways just often more covertly.

It's very sad to think that people still act like this, but I guess this puts meaning into their loves somehow. Sad.

21stamps

That is EXACTLY my point. Of course when I write that the Disney loyalists on this board attack me and other people larger than your average size. And 1 out of 5 (that is 20% of ALL GUESTS) are being turned away from this ride. That is unacceptable.

This is a trend with Disney's most recent rides in Walt Disney World. Seven Dwarves Mine Train coaster is so constrictive that it is painful to ride and cut off my circulation in my legs. I am a 6'4" former division I football player, and I have heard the same complaints from other friends of mine who are in the NFL. They were even unable to ride the rides with their children.

Disney keeps tailoring the rides for smaller and smaller people. Why? To save money, to make the cars smaller, to make the ride smaller, to take up less real estate. They even make clothing in sizes smaller and it is more and more difficult to find larger clothes.
But the smaller people the "averaged" sized as they consider themselves LOVE to buy the XXL and XXXL clothes that some of us NEED to wear. But they buy it because they like baggy clothes, or "clothes you can sleep in". So while these people mock the bigger people and disregard our height, weight, build as an aberration......they sure do love to buy the clothing that is made for us specifically.

I am also seeing more and more that these boards are like high school. A big clique of people who shout down anything that goes against or points out a flaw about Disney. Sadly the moderators do the same in many ways just often more covertly.

It's very sad to think that people still act like this, but I guess this puts meaning into their loves somehow. Sad.

I am most definitely not part of any clique on these boards. Still doesn't change my opinion that average size people being called small people is quite strange.

I feel for anyone who did not fit into the restraints, I think it's absolutely horrible that Disney did not have a test chair out front. Now they do though so that should alleviate problems.

As for the one in five comment, I don't think we have real data to support that theory.

AEfx

I think the question was mis-phrased. I think the poll response would skew in the other direction if the question hadn't been interpreted as "really obese people", even though it's also very muscular and/or tall but otherwise fit men that fit under "bigger". You will still get people who are just scummy and think that a kid that can't walk doesn't deserve some consideration, but you would be getting a lot less knee jerk "nope don't change anything for the fatties!" votes, when the more appropriate question is:

Should Disney be taking various physical disabilities and differing body types into consideration on the newer rides?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom