PAL Mickey

CountryBear

Original Poster
Is it worth the money to buy a PALMickey (I think that is what its called) for a 3 yr old. What will she be able to do with it?

Thanks!

wdwfreak425

Yeah, I saw this on the DVD... I thought it was a thing you borrow for the day. I would say no because all the parade times are on free maps and you only use it at disney.

iluvstitch

Originally posted by wdwfreak425
I would say no because all the parade times are on free maps and you only use it at disney.

Uh.. it does a little more than quote the parade times.

And you can rent it for the day or purchase it. -Stephanie

Hank Scorpio

It talks to you throughout the day while you visit the parks. Basically, it knows where it is so it starts talking to you with regards to your surroundings. It also tells you ride wait times, facts, trivia and some little known secrets about attractions etc.

I think it also talks and tells jokes when you take it home but its only got a limited range of speech. Also you can play some games with it.

CountryBear

Original Poster
Seems interesting enough, still need some more insight before we purchase. I guess if she wants she will get it whether its worth it or not. lol

Aethan

Gosh yes!

We got a PAL Mickey on the first day of our most recent trip, and we loved him! He was especially invaluable in Animal Kingdom, where he pointed out a lot of animals we might've missed otherwise and explained a few of the props that we were looking at (like the Wishing Tree in Asia.)

He was a gift, so I didn't price him, but I believe this is the way it works - you pay a deposit of about $60.00 when you take him with you. If you want to keep him, you just don't return him. If you decide you don't want him, you return him to the place where you got him, and they give you a refund of the deposit less $8.00 per day that you kept him.

He told us facts and trivia about various rides, alerted us to various shows and parades, told us where to look for characters...heck, he even told us when the lines were short at some of the more popular rides at MGM (such as TZToT and RaRC).

- Aethan

We used Pal Mickey for a week at Disney and ended up buying him. We do not have children. He was full of interesting facts, eluded to the occassional hidden Mickey and made comments about various rides. He gets "nervous" around ToT. Once in a while, he would think he was in a different area of WDW and give info for that area. This only happened near park entrances maybe 2-3 times for the whole week. Worth every penny! :)

Kwit35

Originally posted by CountryBear
Is it worth the money to buy a PALMickey (I think that is what its called) for a 3 yr old. What will she be able to do with it?

Thanks!
You might enjoy him, but most of his jokes are above the head of a 3 year old. My 3 year old liked him for about 15 minutes. I thought he might help keep her happy while waiting in long lines but...1. there were no long lines, and 2. she just didn't get into what he was saying. We, the grown-ups, liked him. He gives you many interesting facts.
Anyway, it is only $8 a day to rent him, so go for it.

shari71

We bought ours on our last trip. Our three year old didn't get much use directly out of it. She enjoyed holding it but didn't get that it was useful. On the other hand, we loved it. Especially in Animal Kingdom. It pointed out things we would have over looked normally. Indirectly our three year old got enjoyment because we pointed out things to her or got her to rides that normally had long lines. It was also great for parade/firework times. It was a little hard to hear too. Many times we had it directly up against our ear. Only other thing it did - it is not supposed to go off when you are on a ride or in a show. The obviously forgot to turn it off for CoP. It went off several times while we were on that ride.

Our Pal Mickey went off during Haunted Mansion in the Madame Leota crystal ball room. He said something about the ride, but we couldn't hear him over the "tambourine"! :lol:

Goodeone

Large Group...

I will be travelling with my family to WDW next February and was wondering if it would be worth picking up. There will be aprox. 11 people in our group, 9 adults and 2 kids (4 and 16[me]). I think it sounds really cool and I'm sure my little cousin would love it too, but I'm afraid that with the large group it may be hard to hear.

You can pick one (or two) up at Guest Services in all four parks and all WDW resorts (I think all :rolleyes: ). IF certain members of the group can't hear what Mickey's saying, you just resqueeze his hand and he'll repeat it! Everyone can take turns carrying him!

Goodeone

Thanks alot, i took off the purchase location while I was reading the website. Sounds like a great addition to my next trip. $32 for six days is a pretty good deal, even in US dollars (i'm Canadian). Has anyone tried clipping it on to a backpack? I'm thinking about trying something like that as I usually carry around a backpack for my day at the parks. Also do you have to return it to the same place you rented it from?

I don't think that you have to return Pal Mickey to the same place as rented, but not sure. Pal Mickey comes with a "clip" that is supposed to do very well on a belt or pants loop. :lol: Well, Mickey kept "riding" up and off. Not as svelte as I once was. He did very well on any bag strap. I have also heard that they are working on the "clip"! Have a great time! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom