Pal Mickey

Culley24

I have read the basics of Pal Mickey, but was wondering if this is a rental or something to keep. Also what is the cost. Thx in advance.

27 days

MissM

Pal Mickey's rental program ceased in 2004. You can only buy him now. The current edition that you'll find in stores at the moment is Sorcerer Mickey (dressed in red robes and blue Sorcerer's hat from Fantasia.) He costs $65.
-m

Upvote 0
They stopped the renting in 2004, and that was the only time I had rented (Thank God) I really enjoyed mine except the lady had installed it wrong or something because he didn't work properly, but they are still so darn cute! They cost $65.00 to keep and they work outside of the park to play games already pre-installed.

Does anybody know if they interact at Downtown Disney?

Upvote 0

AndyJo0930

We bought ours in 2004 and will be going again in August. I was told when we bought him that he would reprogram himself if we brought him back for future use, the first time we walk through the gates. Has anyone experienced this? I am hoping that we will be able to use him again instead of buying a new one.

Upvote 0

MissM

Your original Pal will still work, however, Pal can not be updated in any way. He will continue to tell you things that he was programmed with at the time he was made. For example, 1.0 Pal's (the originals) will still comment about Alien Encounter from the triggers around Stitch because that's what existed then.

Despite urban legends to the contrary, you can NOT update, chip, mod, download, or otherwise get him to say new things at all. He's a closed system that does not accept any new information or phrases.

He WILL work though. His information will just be a little out of date, but he'll still pick up the triggers in the park and talk to you throughout the day.
-m

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

Is Pal Mickey really worth it buying and keeping up with? I thought about it on our last trip but I know who would end up holding it all day.... me. Is the interaction fun, or boring? I don't know anything much about it. :hammer:

Upvote 0

MissM

Pal Mickey is one of those things that tends to garner strong opinions on both sides of the fence. He's silly, has terribly corny jokes, and is essentially a very
advanced stuff animal. Some people take too much of a "grown up" view on him and think it's childish and pointless. Keeping in mind that the program was originally intended for kids but had a surprisingly massive adult draw and that it is Walt Disney World after all (and thus, inherently a youthful experience) if you don't try take him seriously, he's a lot of fun. I mean, it's Mickey and he talks to you all day, giving you little tidbits on info, jokes, games, sing-a-longs and related. He's small, doesn't weigh much and easily clips on your bag or belt so you don't have to actually have him in your hands every moment. You can even buy some outfits for him if you want to change his clothes.

He's not going to give you backstage secrets or anything, but many of the tidbits he mentions are interesting. And yes, the jokes are terribly corny. I personally enjoy the Pal and have both the original version and the HCOE version. You might check out PalMickey.net to see other adults who enjoy Pal as well. (Some go over the top and make a range of outfits for him, but it's all in fun and you don't have to yourself to enjoy the site and community.)

It's really a personal thing whether or not you think he's worth it. So many people opted to keep their original Pal's during the rental program that they discontinued it, so there's certainly a successful market for him. It really depends on if you'd enjoy carrying around the talking plush and if you could enjoy him for the fun, interactive toy he is. :)
-m

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom