PAINT THE NIGHT - Photos/Video, Reviews & Thoughts

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Yeah, I, too, was hoping for the classic MSEP cord to be the intro to PTN.

The PTN intro includes the classic MSEP chords (just like HKDL) - reorchestrated of course to match the new soundtrack. The female autotuned voice is the same as HKDL. From what I understand, the only differences in music are Owl City's vocals on some of the unit loops, the addition of Rapunzel/Cinderella bits to the Belle loop, the new Frozen loop, and the change to all English lyrics (obviously).

Sage of Time

The PTN intro includes the classic MSEP chords (just like HKDL) - reorchestrated of course to match the new soundtrack. The female autotuned voice is the same as HKDL. From what I understand, the only differences in music are Owl City's vocals on some of the unit loops, the addition of Rapunzel/Cinderella bits to the Belle loop, the new Frozen loop, and the change to all English lyrics (obviously).
Right. I'm going on about that first LOUD crescendo that the entire parade starts with.

Nland316

Beats it's HDKL counterpart by a landslide. They got rid of the tacky finale costumes and just have the colorful cartwheels instead. The lights seem to sync up better with the music and seem to have a better choreography in general. Disappointed that they don't have the male performers in the Candlelight unit. They were really ornate and classy.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Beats it's HDKL counterpart by a landslide. They got rid of the tacky finale costumes and just have the colorful cartwheels instead. The lights seem to sync up better with the music and seem to have a better choreography in general. Disappointed that they don't have the male performers in the Candlelight unit. They were really ornate and classy.

I'm guessing the took out the male dancers there to add more characters else where. It was great to hear the borque hoedown in Disneyland again! We got a modified version of the classic MSEP opening too.

TTA94

In a way WDWs SpectroMagic lives on now at DL with the whirly balls.. but on steroids! Lol

WDW should be paying close attention to this! Maybe what Could have been if they updated SpectroMagic.. :-(

Bairstow

Looks pretty cool. I especially like the 3-dimensional matrix of lights inside the Mack truck and that giant, 3-pronged torus thing behind Mickey's float.

That light matrix would be a really fun thing to get a longer look at, since it's essentially a crude holographic LED screen.
It's the kind of thing that would be displayed at Innoventions or Communicore if Disney still cared about those places.

Last edited:

TP2000

Beats it's HDKL counterpart by a landslide.

Agreed. Anaheim's version is quite dramatically plussed up, filled out, and lengthened. There's a lot more characters, and several more floats. And they did it very smartly; adding extra Princesses behind Belle, swapping out one of the poi-ball cowgirls for Jessie, adding the giant puppets behind the extra drum float, etc., etc.

Plus, they swapped out some of the weakest parts of the Hong Kong version and replaced them with artistically better options. Like Hong Kong's cheesy spinning cartwheel fish behind the Mermaid float being changed into the twirling jellyfish with Nemo for Anaheim; a dramatic improvement!

Hong Kong really got the short end of the stick here, and yet just a few months ago we were oohing and aahing over the Hong Kong version. TDA really came through and beefed up Paint The Night spectacularly and brilliantly. Bravo!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Agreed. Anaheim's version is quite dramatically plussed up, filled out, and lengthened. There's a lot more characters, and several more floats.

Plus, they swapped out some of the weakest parts of the Hong Kong version and replaced them with artistically better options. Like Hong Kong's cheesy spinning cartwheel fish behind the Mermaid float being changed into the twirling jellyfish with Nemo for Anaheim; a dramatic improvement!

Hong Kong really got the short end of the stick here, and yet just a few months ago we were oohing and aahing over the Hong Kong version. TDA really came through and beefed up Paint The Night spectacularly and brilliantly. Bravo!

I really like those Jellyfish, really fun.

TTA94

From the videos I have seen DL really needs to update the parade route lights... Seems very weak compared to HKDLs opening lighting sequence.

I hear that videos do not do this parade justice. Can't wait till I can see this in person one day :).

TP2000

I counted them up, and both the Anaheim parade and the Hong Kong parade have roughly the same amount of performers. But what TDA did was go in and strategically replace many of Hong Kong's generic dancers with Disney characters.

Hong Kong's version, compared to Anaheim's has the following that don't exist in Disneyland:

4 Stiltwalkers, 2 each near beginning and end of parade
1 Seaweed girl in front of Littler Mermaid float
3 Candelabra couples dancing (net gain of two performers over Anaheim)
3 Ball dancers near end of parade
5 Twirling Light Stick dancers at end of parade
Total = 15

But what Disneyland has that Hong Kong doesn't have is the following:

3 Fairies in front of Tinkerbell float
Peter Pan on top of Drum Float
Tigger, Genie and Lumiere stilt puppets
Nemo and his Dad just after Little Mermaid
Jessie in front of Toy Story float
4 Candelabra girls, without male dance partners (net loss of two performers from Hong Kong)
Rapunzel
Cinderella
2 Ice Crystal dancers before Frozen float
Anna
Elsa
Olaf
Total = 15

The result is the same number of performers in each parade, but Anaheim has two additional floats and a much heavier presence of Disney animation to balance out the Pixar-heavy version in Hong Kong. They also were smart about which dancers or costumes they replaced in Anaheim, because the weakest visuals and cheesiest looking props in Hong Kong were replaced with traditional Disney characters, or noticeably better stuff like the twirling jellyfish, in Anaheim. And the horrible "show stop" thing from Hong Kong was ditched for Anaheim, thank goodness. (Those show stops always just look like a float broke down somewhere and the dancers are stalling for time, in my opinion)

The result is that Disneyland's Paint The Night looks longer and grander, and has a more traditional Disney appearance. TDA was really smart in how they did this, because they didn't add extra staffing to get there!

Last edited:

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I think Cinderella's costume needs a little extra something. A bit here and there of her gowns light up effects from Tokyo's Dreamlights parade would be awesome!

image.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom