Pages like these are why Wikipedia has a bad reputation

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
Thanks to @NateD1226 for suggesting to turn a mini-thought in The Miscellaneous Thoughts Thread into an actual thread
There is page on Wikipedia that obviously no one cares about and it shows, called List of Disney attractions that were never built
The first half of the page is not bad at all, but once you get to the second half of the page it gets bad. Stuff like Jolly Old England (in American Wharf), Incredibles Dark Ride (in place of Superstar Limo), Tarzan Rainforest Rollercoaster, "Mussion" to Mars at Tokyo Disneyland, Superstar Limo in the Chinese Theater at HS! Maybe one or two of these things were actual ideas being tossed around, but none of these have sources! Pages like these are why Wikipedia is viewed as an untrustworthy source of information.

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Thanks to @NateD1226 for suggesting to turn a mini-thought in The Miscellaneous Thoughts Thread into an actual thread
There is page on Wikipedia that obviously no one cares about and it shows, called List of Disney attractions that were never built
The first half of the page is not bad at all, but once you get to the second half of the page it gets bad. Stuff like Jolly Old England (in American Wharf), Incredibles Dark Ride (in place of Superstar Limo), Tarzan Rainforest Rollercoaster, "Mussion" to Mars at Tokyo Disneyland, Superstar Limo in the Chinese Theater at HS! Maybe one or two of these things were actual ideas being tossed around, but none of these have sources! Pages like these are why Wikipedia is viewed as an untrustworthy source of information.

Wikipedia is "supposed" to be a citation-centered site. Nothing erks me more than seeing the words "citation needed" after a sentence or paragraph. It means there's no way to verify the source. It's the double-edged sword of a user-contributed database. I usually tell people not to automatically believe what they see on that site unless there's a citation to a credible source to back it up.

There is a community of people and algorithms to help weed out the trolls, but it isn't 100% foolproof and if something looks legit, even without a source, it ends up staying until someone can either verify it or erase it.

If you look at the top left of any Wikipedia page, there is a "talk" tab. This is where users can discuss the pages and decide on if information should stay or go before arbitrarily deleting or adding things willy-nilly. Again, that's how it's "supposed" to work. Sadly, not everyone follows rules.

It says as far back as 2007 on the talk page that sources are unverified. The top of the page also says, "This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed." Most people ignore these warnings and should be enough to show people that not everything on the page is reliable. It's because people ignore these things is why Wikipedia gains a bad rep.

Last edited:

VJ

while we're on the topic... can we discuss this wiki? please?

NateD1226

This is...weird.

HMFan999

I think my eyes are bleeding

TwilightZone

Why is it just WDW, but Tennessee?

Darkbeer1

TwilightZone

I gotta say, whoever's doing this is dedicated enough for an incident's page. I'm kind of impressed. Not even armchair imagineering competitions have incidents pages.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

It's a wiki for fan-produced imaginary... stuff.

It's basically like our Imagineering forum. :)

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
It's a wiki for fan-produced imaginary... stuff.

It's basically like our Imagineering forum. :)
I don't visit the Imagineering forum often, but does it have half finished pages of wacky crossover ideas such as Hotel Transylvania X Haunted Mansion?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom