Packing with no checked bags??

DisneyFan1003

Ok...so I always read trip reports, etc. of people heading to WDW for a vacation with only carry-on bags. My wife and I are going for a long weekend next month (no kiddo this time!) and would love to not deal with checked bags. For the lenght of our trip, neither of us think that clothing will be an issue - we're not planning to take time out for any "dress up" meals, etc. My question - how do you do it? Do you just use the toiletries in the hotel, buy them down there, etc?

Would love any and all tips!! :)

ahhsmurf

I would rather check my bag then have to tote it around the airport.
2a3.jpg

Upvote 0

Hot Lava

I envy anyone who can manage to pack only a carry on. I have never been able to do it. And that doesn't even count extra room needed for bringing stuff back. I am horrible! But I also usually need a checked bag b/c I have skin issues and cannot just use the toiletries where I go. Maybe for a couple days I could manage with a quart size bag of those things, but it is dicey.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Easy-peasy! We pack 21" carry-ons for a WEEK without trouble. We pack one outfit per person, per day (NO extras -- if we need to do laundry, we will, but we've never had to yet -- with a long weekend I'm sure you'll have space to pack an extra, though!). Add to that: undies, PJs, swimsuit and cover-up (I bring a sundress that does double-duty as a dinner outfit and swimsuit cover). One pair of sandals/dress-up shoes and one pair of sneakers/park shoes. I roll my clothes and put them in packing cubes (more for organization purposes than to compress anything). Bulky layering items (e.g., a sweater or fleece, pants, sneakers) we wear on the plane. Toiletries go in an eBags "Pack It Flat" toiletry case, which does an amazing job of minimizing the space they occupy in a carryon. Miscellaneous items (camera, cell phone chargers, etc.) and food and/or snacks goes in the leftover space in the carryon, or in our "personal item" (e.g., handbag or backpack) for the plane. We don't use compression bags to try and cram in extra clothes, simply because that seems like trading a large, unwieldy bag for a heavy, overstuffed one.

I know some people say they hate to have to lug around their bags in the airport, but I find that if I pack a light carryon-size roller or wheelie bag, I don't feel weighed down: I feel more free! I love breezing past the people waiting at baggage claim with the wind in my hair and the knowledge that my bag and possessions are not going to be lost, mishandled or stolen. Also, we've always had good luck with our rooms being ready at check-in, meaning we're able to unpack right away, freshen up, change clothes if we need to, and head off to the parks.

There are some good tips (and sample packing lists) for traveling with only a single carryon here: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/pack-light.htm

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

How about using those space bags where you take the air out before you pack? Ask the maid to use her vacume when packing to go home or just squish your dirty things in the suitcase.

Upvote 0

wendysue

I am planning a surprise weekend trip at the end of April and have already started packing...AND I managed to fit it all, for 2 adults and 2 children, in a 21" carry-on and our DVC tote bag! We're only going to be there from a Friday night to a Sunday late afternoon, so we really only need 2 outfits, basic travel toiletries, and a pair of shoes (which we'll wear the entire weekend). Keeping the compact idea going, we'll be taking an iPad & iPod, pocket-sized digital camera (plus my DH's iPhone), and some snack-sized goodies. As for a light coat, we'll wear 'em onto the plane, which should deter us from buying any extra clothing for warmth.

The trick to packing our carry-on: roll the clothing (I will fit my girls clothing into 2 gallon-sized ziploc bag and essentially "push out the air" making clothing pancakes). Remember, your toiletries must fit in a quart-sized bag (1 per person, but y'all know that). However, if you're particular about a certain soap, face wash, etc., and you have a rather large bottle at home, might I suggest heading to Target (or of the like) and picking up some empty travel bottles. The next step: ask yourself before putting any item into your bag, "Do I really need this?" I think for 2 adults on a long weekend trip, you should be able to fit everything you'll need into one rolling carry-on and 1 back pack...and technically, each of you are allowed said items, just in case you really cannot forgo that "must have item!"

Absolutely can be done. I also roll the clothes and you can fit alot into 2 carry-ons. That's all my husband and I take for a week, along with a larger purse like bag that I can fit under the seat in front of me on the plane that has all the paperwork, airline tics, etc. and snacks. Now, though, some airlines are charging for the carry-ons, so we may just drive next time...

Upvote 0

lovepooh

I cant even imagine to try to fit enough for a carry on for my DH ad my self, even for a long weekend. I always pack, what if its cold, or hot senario. On our Honeymoon I tried that, only packed capris and one nice dress didnt realize San Fran gets quite so cold, regretted that until I bought long pants and a sweater. I believe its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. But more power to ya if you can do it! :)

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

It's not a problem at all. My DW and I routinely travel out of just carry ons when going to the world. At the worst you do laundry mid trip. It's about packing smart. Pack Birkenstocks, wear running sneakers. Plan on wearing jeans/shorts multiple times. Wear your jacket/sweatshirt on the plane. If the item you are packing doesn't match multiple other pieces, don't bring it. If it's something you might want to wear, leave it at home. Bring versatile pieces that you can layer or remove as the temperature changes. Etc, etc, etc. I only pack a bag if I'm bringing my full sized tripod with me. Otherwise it is carryons only.

For a 4 day long weekend I'd say 4 tops, 4 sets of underwear/socks, 2 bottoms, base layer, rain jacket, toiletries. Wearing one of those bottoms and the base layer on the plane. Heck, might even be able to pack that all in a backpack never mind a roller bag.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I CAN do it. I choose NOT to do it.

I have flown all over and out of the country - and have never ever had a bag go missing, get damaged (badly - I have my share of busted zipper pulls), or otherwise have any problems. I know many people do not check because they have had bad experiences, but not me.

When going to WDW, I check a bag. DME and RAC takes care of it for me. First checked bag is free on Continental (for me) and they are tagged priority (RAC finally figured out how to do this) so they come off first when I get home, and I like the extra space if I end up buying anything. I pack light, but I like the option of having the ability to pack a bulky purchase if necessary.

Oddly enough, when traveling on business (where baggage fees would not be an issue) I usualy pack only a carry on. Most business flights are a bit more time critical for me, and since there is nothing like DME, I would end up getting and carrying my own bags.

-dave

Upvote 0

TheMouseFan

I am a notorious overpacker, but I was in WDW in December with my mom and my then 4 year old son, and we managed to pack everything we needed into a carry-on and a personal item for each of us. We were able to check our carry-ons at the gate after affixing our DME tags to them so we didn't have to worry about stowing them in the overhead bins or carting them to the DME bus. If we could cart all 6 bags and a stroller through the airport while getting little help from the 4 year old, I would think it should be a piece of cake for the two of you. The worst part was getting through security at MCO, and that was only because people are just rude and have no consideration for others. Hope you have a great trip!

Upvote 0

lilclerk

Eh, just the two of you for a long weekend? You can do that easily, as long as you don't plan on buying any huge souvenirs. You each get two carry on bags (one small enough to fit under the seat in front of you,) you could easily fit basic toiletries and clothes in them. Or you could just use the shampoo/conditioner in the hotel and save that room.

Upvote 0

WDWFigment

I think this is pretty to do for Walt Disney World. My wife and I each packed only a carry-on for 9 days in Europe (in the winter, no less). It's pretty easy to do, you just don't bring things you don't need and make sure everything is travel sized. Even packed a laptop (albeit a Macbook Air) and boxy voltage converters.

We did this because we knew we'd be on the move a lot with our luggage, and more than one bag each makes this really difficult to accomplish.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

Funny, I leave for Vegas tomorrow for a long weekend and somehow I managed to fit everything into a 19" suitcase and a backpack, b/c I refused to check a bag for such a short trip. It took some strategic placement, but I got it all to fit! Basically I have all my clothes in the suitcase, and I have my plethora of shoes in the backpack along with all my toiletries. Good Luck!

It is the shoes that always get me with the luggage thing...I bring 5-6 pairs everywhere I go...

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

Wow. Why so many?
Well.. I have crocs and this hideous pair of sandals that keep my feet from hurting, then I have water shoes, and tennis shoes and black wedges that work for dress or casual...and then sometimes I end up buying a new pair of shoes when I am going on a trip so of course I have to bring the new pair. I never wear them all.. I don't know why I keep doing this with the shoes ..

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Well.. I have crocs and this hideous pair of sandals that keep my feet from hurting, then I have water shoes, and tennis shoes and black wedges that work for dress or casual...and then sometimes I end up buying a new pair of shoes when I am going on a trip so of course I have to bring the new pair. I never wear them all.. I don't know why I keep doing this with the shoes ..
Don't feel bad I took 7 pairs for a 1 week vacation once! I actually wore them all but 7 pairs! I love shoe shopping I can always find something that fits well!!:)

Upvote 0

WDW 3

It'll never happen for us. We am often annoyed by so many bringing bags on instead of checking them.
We have in recent years had flights actually delayed because the overheads are full and they are checking bags at the gate. We've gotten on and had no room in an overhead for my DH's CPAP. We've had people from the front of the plane that have had to stick a bag at the back of the plane and seriously wanted everyone behind them to wait for them to go to the back or pass their suitcase to them up at the front :eek:. I don't think the airlines do a good enough job of screening the bags that are too large. And when they know that rolling bags don't fit... ever... on some aircraft, why do they let people through security with them. When I say this I am talking about my home airport that only has a few planes a day and they know!

Upvote 0

Soarin' Over Pgh

I guess that kinda makes sense. I'm planning on two pairs- two pairs of sneakers (one will be worn during flight) and my flip flops for the pool...aaaand I don't care if they don't make it back home, lol

Two pairs of sneakers... in case my feet hurt after wearing the one pair all day long! (Both are super lightweight walking shoes- Sketchers GoWalk. LOVE them. They weigh 14 ounces total. :) )

Upvote 0

PolynesianPrincess

We only do one checked bag during week long trips but for our short trips, it's carry on only. I pack A LOT when I travel so when I have to pack in just a carry on, it's a little challenging. When we drove last May I had a full large suitcase, a full carry on sized suitcase plus a duffle bag!! But when we fly, and don't want to pay the bags fees, I have to condense to the carry on size bag. I pack all my clothes, shoes, etc in the suitcase and then I have my toiletries and hair straightener and usually a pair of flip flops in my other carry on bag that goes under the seat in front of me. I find that the smaller airline regulation sized bottles hold just enough shampoo and conditioner for me :)

Upvote 0

PolynesianPrincess

It'll never happen for us. We am often annoyed by so many bringing bags on instead of checking them.
We have in recent years had flights actually delayed because the overheads are full and they are checking bags at the gate. We've gotten on and had no room in an overhead for my DH's CPAP. We've had people from the front of the plane that have had to stick a bag at the back of the plane and seriously wanted everyone behind them to wait for them to go to the back or pass their suitcase to them up at the front :eek:. I don't think the airlines do a good enough job of screening the bags that are too large. And when they know that rolling bags don't fit... ever... on some aircraft, why do they let people through security with them. When I say this I am talking about my home airport that only has a few planes a day and they know!

My suitcase has rolling wheels and fits perfectly fine in the overhead bins. But then again I know that rolling bags are supposed to go on the side with 3 seats and the wheels facing the outside of the plane. It's the people who stick their suitcase on the side with 2 seats and don't put it in correctly that take up the most room. I will agree when there is no room above my seat when I want to put my bag up there and it ends up going to the back of the plane I get a little irritated. This is why I think they should board back to front on ALL airlines. This way baggage is being loaded back to front as well.

Upvote 0

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
All our trips have been by car and I'm a serius overpacker (just spent 4 nights in the World and took 6 bags just for myself! :eek: ) so I fear the day we actually manage a plane trip! I'll be coming back to this thread and reading all your tips deligently!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom