Package Deal, or DIY?

DryCreek

Original Poster
After looking at the Disneyland website, I decided to price out a vacation with a Good Neighbor motel. I chose one nearest the gate (Ramada). I also priced out the lodging separately on the hotels website, and then factored in 4 day Park Hopper passes ordered through Disney. I can save over $300 by putting my own package together! Does anybody have any insight as to why I should pay more to book through Disney? I would still get the Magic Morning Early Admission (link), but no character phone call or that special character thingy they do in toon town. I can live without that - it is just the DW and myself. At 49 years old, I get enough phone calls from "characters" to last me.
Maybe I am missing something here?
BTW, projected dates are 02-24-2012 through 02-28-2012.

Travelguy31

DIY Disneyland

As far as I can tell, there seems to be very little benefit with Disneyland packages. I think they mostly justify the increased prices with ease and "no hassle" of booking their packages opposed to DIY. I could be missing something since I am not a Disneyland guru by any means. I ended up booking separately for February 12th -16th. The total with hotel, airfare, and 3 day hoppers for two was $1300.00

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
As with WDW, packages are for convenience more than savings.

Once you know what you prefer, you're almost always going to save on your trip by DIY. I'd suggest subscribing to mousesavers.com, they have lots of discounts for stuff at WDW and DL.

DryCreek

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks for the responses. I must admit that I later went over my numbers and find there really is only a savings of about $105 (missed the multiplier - X2 - for the park admission). But, that $105 covers the round trip cost of the Gray Line Disneyland Express shuttle from SAN or LAX, and then a dinner to boot!

I wish that they had all-inclusive packages like WDW does.

DryCreek

Original Poster
It's ON! Woohoo!

OK, it's official now - we are making the February vacation happen. I booked our airfare last night through our credit cards reward program, and was delighted to be able to get the exact itinerary I wanted. We are flying out of Waco, connecting in DFW and then landing at John Wayne! From one small (OK, tiny) airport to the smaller one (as opposed to LAX<- double plus ungood, like DFW). I was trying to book the room through the Best Western website, and decided to call the hotel direct. Good choice, it saved me $10 a night by talking to them. All I had to do was mention that I was going to use my wife's rewards card, and she offered a rate of $89.10 a night! So, we are now booked at the Best Western Park Place Inn - right across the street from the entrance.
I have downloaded the brochure for the Disneyland Express (Gray Lines) Shuttle, and see that they also service SNA. Anyone have any tips for us on this? Our flight leaves at 9:00 a.m. on a Tuesday, so I reckon we need to be on the shuttle no later than 7:30 a.m.
The best news is this - the wife didn't want to be rushed through our visit, so she said why not add an extra day? I agreed (naturally), so now I need some help. What are the hours of the parks in February? I am trying to determine if it would be worth the cost of buying a 5-day park hopper now. We should be dropping off our luggage at the hotel no later than noon on the 23rd. If the parks are open until 9 or 10, I can see the addition cost (really only about $12 with current special). If they are only going to be open til 7 or 8, I may just opt to explore DTD and the resort hotels. Anyone have any guess as to the park hours then?

Thanks!

Travelguy31

DLR trip

Congrats! I bet you are excited. I ended up splurging and booking a room at the Disneyland Hotel so I can take in all of the new updates there. Very excited! :ROFLOL:

DryCreek

Original Poster
You Bet!

Congrats! I bet you are excited. I ended up splurging and booking a room at the Disneyland Hotel so I can take in all of the new updates there. Very excited! :ROFLOL:
Well, at least I am. My wife isn't as big a Disfan as I am. I really considered the DLR hotel, but we are on a budget this time. Our son will be moving off to to NW Louisiana to finish his degree and so we will have to board the dogs and pay someone to look after the cattle while we are gone.

wild01ride

Congrats on your trip plans!
We too just recently decided to book a long weekend at DLR.
I found the same - that between hotel rewards programs, etc., etc., it's generally cheaper to purchase travel elements DIY style rather than getting a package.
Furthermore, it seems that it's usually easier to choose exactly what you want and where you want to splurge or save rather than taking a pre-packaged deal from Disney.

Anyhow, have a great trip!

DryCreek

Original Poster
Howdy

Congrats on your trip plans!
We too just recently decided to book a long weekend at DLR.
I found the same - that between hotel rewards programs, etc., etc., it's generally cheaper to purchase travel elements DIY style rather than getting a package.
Furthermore, it seems that it's usually easier to choose exactly what you want and where you want to splurge or save rather than taking a pre-packaged deal from Disney.

Anyhow, have a great trip!

I just wish that they had packages that were similar to what I usually book at WDW. I can see though that the park is set up entirely differently, and with the myriad options of lodging that are (for the most part) closer than Disney's own hotel and the PPH - why it makes more sense to book your own. A real dining package would have been the deal maker in this case!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom