Overrated restaurants in WDW

DisneyJunkie

Original Poster
Have you ever chosen to eat at a particular restaurant in WDW because you read a lot of positive reviews, but didn't care for the place after you ate there? Which places would you consider to be overrated?

Le Cellier Steakhouse - I've actually given this place a few chances, and despite the difficulty in actually getting ADRs to eat there, I've decided it's not worth the wait or effort. The food isn't much better than my local steakhouse in town, and neither is the service.

50's Prime Time Cafe - I'd heard a lot about how the wait staff really get into their roles and how the food was pretty good. Well, the one and only time I've eaten there, the waitress didn't even try and get into character, and I found the menu very limited and the food subpar.

Restaurant Marrakesh - Despite some decent theming and entertainment, everyone in our group agreed (and we all got different dishes) that the food was extremely bland and it's one place we wouldn't have to go to again.

Chefs de France - Other than having a nice waitress, there isn't much else positive I can say about the dining here. The food was simply disgusting, and I'll admit that may simply be because of the different styles of cooking, I don't know.....but that's another place our group agreed we wouldn't need to try again.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Have you ever chosen to eat at a particular restaurant in WDW because you read a lot of positive reviews, but didn't care for the place after you ate there? Which places would you consider to be overrated?

Le Cellier Steakhouse - I've actually given this place a few chances, and despite the difficulty in actually getting ADRs to eat there, I've decided it's not worth the wait or effort. The food isn't much better than my local steakhouse in town, and neither is the service.

50's Prime Time Cafe - I'd heard a lot about how the wait staff really get into their roles and how the food was pretty good. Well, the one and only time I've eaten there, the waitress didn't even try and get into character, and I found the menu very limited and the food subpar.

Restaurant Marrakesh - Despite some decent theming and entertainment, everyone in our group agreed (and we all got different dishes) that the food was extremely bland and it's one place we wouldn't have to go to again.

Chefs de France - Other than having a nice waitress, there isn't much else positive I can say about the dining here. The food was simply disgusting, and I'll admit that may simply be because of the different styles of cooking, I don't know.....but that's another place our group agreed we wouldn't need to try again.

Disagree with all but Chefs but each to their own! I found Cali Grill to be very disappointing but, i will try it again in the future

DisneyDebNJ

I didn't care for Mama Melrose's, and at the time, alot enjoyed the food there. Cali grill, yearssss ago, and never went back. I do understand sometimes, restaurants have *off* nights, but with my week or so vacation, I'm always afraid to chance a night at a restaurant I didn't enjoy in the past.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Didn't care for Victoria and Alberts at all when we went on our honeymoon. Overpriced food, snooty servers once we advised we would not be having the wine parings, and overall uncomfortable atmosphere. Pretty much one of the only non magical memories of any of our stays at WDW.

coltow

Crystal Palace dinner, we had been there a few times for breakfast with out complaint. We will prob never do dinner there again, we didn't care for the food (Chef Mickey's was 10x better) and we had a horrible character experience. Characters were so rushed that they would sign autograph book and pose for a quick picture before moving on. I'm not asking for much with chatacters but maybe a wave hello &/or goodbye would be nice.

50's is another place we will prob not go back to. Although the food there is pretty good I swear they give you husge portions just so you don't finish and then they can harrass you. A few years ago my sisters (in 20's) had to stand up and sing 'I'm a little teapot" my sister was in tears due to the embarrassment she faced. I get that some people like the teasing and embarrassing, but some don't. I just think they need to figure out a way to leave people alone if they just want to sit and eat.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
50's is another place we will prob not go back to. Although the food there is pretty good I swear they give you husge portions just so you don't finish and then they can harrass you. A few years ago my sisters (in 20's) had to stand up and sing 'I'm a little teapot" my sister was in tears due to the embarrassment she faced. I get that some people like the teasing and embarrassing, but some don't. I just think they need to figure out a way to leave people alone if they just want to sit and eat.
She did not have to do it if she did not want to. Looking a overly ambitious CM in the eye and saying, I am not doing that, solves the problem.

Sweet Melissa

I agree on Le Cellier, '50s, and Chefs. I'd also add Narcoossee's, Kona Café's breakfast, Tony's and Mama Melrose's.

I don't think I've ever tried any Disney restaurant based on its online reviews. Everywhere has its supporters and detractors, and there are a lot of places at Disney World that get panned or are largely overlooked that I do like. I figured out early on that I'd have to try things for myself because I just don't trust the consensus. That goes for dining outside of the World too. There are huge swaths of Disney restaurants that I still haven't tried, though. For instance, I don't think you'll get me to a buffet or a character meal any time soon.

wiigirl

Disagree with all but Chefs but each to their own! I found Cali Grill to be very disappointing but, i will try it again in the future
75.gif

I also found Cali Grill to be slightly disappointing. I may of been over enthusiastic though, our friends went the day before and raved all day about it.

Sweet Melissa

75.gif
I also found Cali Grill to be slightly disappointing. I may of been over enthusiastic though, our friends went the day before and raved all day about it.

I felt the same way about Citricos. I think I was just looking forward to it too much; my expectations were unrealistic. It wasn't a bad meal by any means, but it didn't impress me either.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I've never had a bad meal or service at Le Cellier, I always wonder when I read others' comments that they have done that maybe I get "special" treatment because I quite blatantly advertise that I'm Canadian. *Shrug*.

The only restaurant I absolutely refuse to return to is Liberty Tree Tavern. The food has never been beyond 'palatable' [my thought has always been that it equated to a TV dinner] and I've had genuinely horrendous service all but one out of four visits.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
I've never had a bad meal or service at Le Cellier, I always wonder when I read others' comments that they have done that maybe I get "special" treatment because I quite blatantly advertise that I'm Canadian. *Shrug*.

The only restaurant I absolutely refuse to return to is Liberty Tree Tavern. The food has never been beyond 'palatable' [my thought has always been that it equated to a TV dinner] and I've had genuinely horrendous service all but one out of four visits.

Ditto on Le Cellier :D

real mad hatter

Oh No,Here goes.Only one restaurant didn't live up to it's expectations in our 13 ADRS that we've done in 4 vacations.And the loser is,sorry folks but the prize goes to Le Cellier.

Captain Chaos

Crystal Palace dinner isn't all that great.. Liberty Tree Tavern was terrible, I'll never eat there again... Mama Melrose is another no go for me... And I wasn't impresses with Brown Derby... Ohh, and Tony's Town Square... No thanks...

I ate in Le Cellier once and enjoyed it... I didn't think the place was over rated at all..

WDWisAMAZING22

I think that 50's Prime Time Cafe is a little overrated. I mean the experience there isn't as fun if you don't have a fun waiter or waitress. There are times we have gone there and had fun waiters who really played their role well, but others fell flat. :/

laynalee07

I was not that impressed with Coral Reef at all.... And don't get me wrong on this one, I absolutely LOVE the atmosphere of Rose and Crown, but the last couple of times I have been, their fish and chips have not been good... This last time they were pretty much just all fried batter and no fish hardly inside at all... The fish there used to be sooo good, but the quality has gone down tremendously.

HouCuseChickie

Le Cellier lunch tops this list for me. It was by no means bad, but it was also a far cry from "best steak of my life" hype- IMO. The highly rated filet is on par with some of the local middle grade steak houses...i.e. good, but not comparable to any of the fine dining steak places. We're going back- but I plan on just eating the burger since a good burger at WDW is a good thing...and I'm hoping that will live up to the hype.

'Ohana dinner is my next overhyped place. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed it; however, for the $- if I had the time...I think driving offsite to Fogo de Chao or Texas de Brasil is the better option. The whole concept at 'Ohana is like a Brazilian steakhouse, and while 'Ohana has better atmosphere...the meat quality doesn't match up to the Brazilian places.

Tusker House breakfast was the worst breakfast we've ever had at WDW. While I keep wondering if we just went on a bad day...the meal for us was the trifecta of yuck...bad food (and I'm not a picky eater), bad service, and bad character interaction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom