Over-Selling Disney World?

Yodadudeman

Original Poster
I just have a thought that I'm going to throw out there and see what people think. It seems that, as of late, Disney has been advertising like theres no tomorrow. Almost every website has a WDW ad and there are many WDW commercials on TV as well. On the surface, I have no problem with this. I've just noticed that the parks seem to be getting more crowded lately. Very crowded. Also, Disney is adding resorts and DVC properties, while the parks stay relatively the same side. Taking all of this as a whole, could Disney be over-selling their own product? Tell me what you think.

alissafalco

I don't have any problem with advertising, they can do it as much as they please and it doesn't bother me. What DOES bother me is that they should put that much time, money, and effort into the upkeep of the park and maintaining all the broken rides/effects example Yeti/Splash/Thunder and countless others. It seems selling rip off DVC and advertising is their main concern.

wilkeliza

Most websites probably have WDW ads when you are browsing because they use some sort of advertising system akin to google ads. With google adds if you visit this website or the Disney website or have ever googled Disney you will begin seeing adds for Disney. So in this day and age you can't say that whatever website you are on and the constant adds you are seeing is the same as anyone else. Up until yesterday I only saw Disney and Broadway adds but last night I was looking into a Bally Total Fitness membership. Sure enough today the only adds I have seen are for Bally Total Fitness. Adds online are all based off of what you do online now and not who is paying for space on websites.

Pioneer Hall

Most websites probably have WDW ads when you are browsing because they use some sort of advertising system akin to google ads. With google adds if you visit this website or the Disney website or have ever googled Disney you will begin seeing adds for Disney. So in this day and age you can't say that whatever website you are on and the constant adds you are seeing is the same as anyone else. Up until yesterday I only saw Disney and Broadway adds but last night I was looking into a Bally Total Fitness membership. Sure enough today the only adds I have seen are for Bally Total Fitness. Adds online are all based off of what you do online now and not who is paying for space on websites.

Bingo. I would venture to guess that a lot of us here (if we have cookies enabled) would have Disney ads come up on a lot of websites. It's the same type of idea when you shop for something on a site and then all of a sudden you see an ad for it later. It isn't a coincidence, it is being done on purpose to make you have a stronger desire to purchase.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Bingo. I would venture to guess that a lot of us here (if we have cookies enabled) would have Disney ads come up on a lot of websites. It's the same type of idea when you shop for something on a site and then all of a sudden you see an ad for it later. It isn't a coincidence, it is being done on purpose to make you have a stronger desire to purchase.

That very thing just happened at work. Our laminating machine ran out of laminating film and I started looking around for supplies, come to find out it's been discontinued. I then started looking for a replacement machine. Now almost every site I visit has an ad for laminating machines. Definitely not a very common item to be advertised!

CP_alum08

That very thing just happened at work. Our laminating machine ran out of laminating film and I started looking around for supplies, come to find out it's been discontinued. I then started looking for a replacement machine. Now almost every site I visit has an ad for laminating machines. Definitely not a very common item to be advertised!

Just disable and delete your cookies and that should (mostly) solve that problem.

I actually really agree with point on over-selling Disney. I think it's great that they are expanding the resort capacity, but if they keep up the resort:parks expansion rate they are at, there will be more people staying on property than the parks can hold. I am completely against opening a 5th gate, but it might be the only option in 10 years if they keep this up!

EvilQueen-T

i have a love hate relationship with it...i miss the days of actually having an off season where we floridians could pop in for a few days and get on rides in no time flat BUT my family business is tied directly to tourism (disney is also one of our repeat customers) sooooooo it's part of what pays for my trips lol.

SMS55

Other than this site, I don't see alot of advertising. I only see tv adverstisements during the slow seasons, to promote Florida Resident discounts and on a florida fishing website I go to. I must not be watching what you are watching.

SyracuseOrange

Yeah, it's just a lot of retargeting. I don't really mind it because I'd rather see a Disney banner ad than one that doesn't apply to me. Almost makes other websites less boring ;)

bgraham34

I have to say I hate commercials but when the Disney ones are on I love to watch them. I even despise watching videos online because they are mostly car commercials. I don't plan on buying a car in the not too distant future so give me something i want to watch.

Jimmy Thick

WDW is the world's number one vacation destination and it did not get that way over night. It took years and years of saturating the minds of the general public that WDW is the place, if not the only place, where you want to go on vacation. If you ask ten random people off the street where they want to vacation, 7 out of 10 would choose Disney World, and the other 3 would say Hawaii.

Disney World is synonyms with vacation, like Coke is with soda pop, Xerox with a copy and so on.

Jimmy Thick-Like Jimmy Thick as this forums driving force.

rsoxguy

Advertising sells, and it is rare to over-sell a product like a theme park. I believe that Disney is doing that which is necessary in a very challenging economy.

Horizons1

The way Disney advertises is what's over-sold. Marketing needs to take a step back from pirates, princesses, and especially this Disney Parks campaign.

But that's not going to happen.

Jimmy Thick

The way Disney advertises is what's over-sold. Marketing needs to take a step back from pirates, princesses, and especially this Disney Parks campaign.

But that's not going to happen.

And why should marketing step back from what is more than likely Disney's most profitable marketing campaign in the history of its theme parks?

Jimmy Thick-Am I missing something?

JIMINYCR

Every time I see a WDW commercial on TV I scream out loud with a piercing scream to the wife.... Disneeeey !!!... I want to be theeeere!.....I'm going back!!!..... She smiles because she knows.
Crowded resorts, crowded parks, more Vacation clubs, more crowds.... at some point when is it going to make sense to the powers that be that we could use another park to filter the crowds to?

slappy magoo

You could also argue that Disney is stepping up its advertising because either
a: The tourism section of the economy is still hurting from the recession so Disney wants to make sure you don't opt for a cheaper vacation close to home by constantly reminding you it exists, ORRRR
b: As the economy slowly ticks upward, Disney anticipates more people traveling in the course of the next year and, knowing how many people plan and book vacations far earlier than they actually take them, they're "planting the seed" now.

Speaking of metaphorically "planting the seed," this is also the time of year that most people start filing their taxes. An abundance of WDW ads this time of year probably is probably strategic - as soon as you find out if you're getting a return, and how much, you're thinking "I'm going to Disney World!" And let's face it, if you live in a cold(er) part of the country, there's a greater chance you're staying home more often, on the computer or watching TV more, so WDW is stepping up an ad campaign for a time of year where more people will possible see their ads. I wouldn't be surprised if, as the temperatures warm, you'd see more print and billboard ads for Disney than now, because more people will be out and about then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom