over budget in dining

steven&evi

hey! We're staying in WDW for 7 days (May), and we tried to have as many dinner experiences as possible. My wife and I really love good food, but we notice that our selection of restaurants is rather expensive. I was wondering which on this list you would replace by cheaper ones, and which ones you could advice us to replace them. And of course, which ones are keepers:

epcot: san angels inn, coral reef, Japan (lunch), Canada (Lunch)
Flying Fish
Jiko (AKL)
MGM: Brown Derby
California Grill (cont. resort)
Cinderella castle (MK)

Thanks!!

wannabeBelle

steven&evi said:
hey! We're staying in WDW for 7 days (May), and we tried to have as many dinner experiences as possible. My wife and I really love good food, but we notice that our selection of restaurants is rather expensive. I was wondering which on this list you would replace by cheaper ones, and which ones you could advice us to replace them. And of course, which ones are keepers:

epcot: san angels inn, coral reef, Japan (lunch), Canada (Lunch)
Flying Fish
Jiko (AKL)
MGM: Brown Derby
California Grill (cont. resort)
Cinderella castle (MK)

Thanks!!
I know what you mean about good sit down dining!!! I do that quite a bit myself.
EPCOT: San Angel Inn Cant comment on as I have never been there
Coral Reef: Lately has been getting lukewarm reviews at best Id ditch this one.
Japan Lunch: I love Teppanyaki Grill but it is pricey this is a maybe
Canada Lunch This is probably my favorite restaurant in all of WS and I would do dinner here as opposed to lunch.
Jiko- Was absolutely outstanding definitely a keeper
Brown Derby- I was not blown away. The food here was good but I still had room for dessert afterwards which is unusual for me. I prefer the 50's Prime ime for MGM.
California Grill Cant comment never have been here
Cinderella's Castle Are you aware of all the changes that are being implemented for this meal? The price is going up, It is more of a fixed price dinner and all the meals will be character ones. This is a Maybe.
Belle

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I would switch out one of your EPCOT meals for Restaurant Marrakesh in Morocco...its very under rated. The food is very good and I think its a good deal for the money and you get music and a belly dancer! :lol:
The Liberty Tree Tavern is a good all you care to eat meal at dinner (with characters) and its served family style...we enjoyed lunch there too, great sandwiches. :slurp: Lunch in the AK is always Tusker House for us.

Another thing we do is have our biggest meal at lunchtime (unless there is a specific dinner you want) as it seems to be a better value.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Epcot: keep Le Celler at Canada ditch the rest. The food and atmosphere are great at San Angels Inn great but rather pricey. I would rather save the money and eat at the cantina. Japan's tepenyaki dinning is not all that great either. You would be better going to Kobe at the Crossroads.

MGM: Try 50's prime time or the Sci-fi drive in. The menus are in no way similar to the Brown Derby but they are both very fun places to eat.

Two other options to consider.

1. Dining plan. About $38 a day and you get 1 Table service (Appetizer, entrée and desert) one counter service and one snack. Some of the restaurants you mentioned will cost you 2 (CG for instance)table service tickets. Tips are also included in this price.
2. Disney Dinning Experience. If you are a Florida resident or an annual pass holder you can get the DDE card ($60-$80) which will get you a 20% discount on nearly every table service and several of the counter service restaurants on property (including alcohol)

Upvote 0

swimmom

Definately keep LeCellier. We haven't been to Cinderella's Royal Table with the new menu. The food was good, but pricey. We went for the astmosphere. I could do without Brown Derby. Seemed like it was all about presentation. As others have mentioned, you may want to check into the dining plan or the dining experience.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

I would definitely keep Le Cellier, it is excellent. Also one of my favorite places in Epcot is Chef de France. I've been to San Angel Inn and was not thrille with it, the mexican food at Chevy's is better. If you really want to have fish for dinner, go with the Flying Fish, last time I was at Coral Reef I was very unhappy with the quality, taste and service there.

The California Grill's food is very good, but the restaurant is very noisy. This last trip we had dinner at Kona Cafe in the Polyeniasn hotel and it was far less expensive and the food was excellent. You were also able to hear yourself talk.

I've been to the Brown Derby many times and I happen to really like it, but I also like the Sci-Fi and 50's too. The only place in MGM that I don't like is Mama Melrose.

Jiko in AKL was fantastic, but I also liked Boma for dinner too. I know there were a few things on the buffet that I didn't like because they had coconut in them, but that was a personal thing. Overall the food here is very good and would be less expensive than Jiko.

In MK both Crystal Palace and Liberty Tree Tavern are good, but if you want princesses, then CRT is the place to go.

Upvote 0

robhedin

No Opinion
----------
Flying Fish: no opinion; haven't eaten there

Not to be missed
----------------
CANADA: Excellent food not to be missed, although I'd probably do dinner there instead.

JIKOS: Excellent dining experience; the food, service, and wine list are superb. I eat there every chance I get.

Good, But...
------------
CALIFORNIA GRILL: Good Wine List, Good Food, but pricy. I generally eat there to see the fireworks, and if I didn't have a reservation to allow that, I might be inclined to skip it. I have heard good things about O'Hanas at the Poly, but have not eaten there.

JAPAN: Personal opinion is that the Teppanyaki Grill is an average to below average teppan restaurant with high prices. If you like this kind of thing, it won't hurt to go, but I tend to think the money could be spent elsewhere for better food. If you want japanese, try the Tempura Kiku (same floor, just to the right) for lunch instead, no reservations, and you can sit at the bar and watch them make your food. I think they also serve in the lounge as well. Sushi and Tempura style cooking-- yum!

BROWN DERBY: The food is generally good, but am not too pleased with portion size (not uncommon to leave wanting more, which I'm not pleased with since you pay a premium to eat there). While I like the food at the 50's Prime Time Cafe, I don't like the attitude, but enjoy the Sci-Fi Dine In Theatre.

Skip
----
CASTLE: With the change to the service type, I'm not sure this is worth it. If you want a character mean, I'd do the Liberty Tree myself, unless you've just got to have princesess. There's not really a whole lot of choices at the MK, so you may want to forgo the "dining" here in favour of spending the money on better food elsewhere.

SAN ANGEL INN: The food is ok, but not spectacular; The food at the cantina outside is not bad for fast food mexican-- tasty, good sized portions and churros!

CORAL REEF: The food and view are ok, but you can definitely get better seafood elsewhere for less money. I'd probably skip this one. It might not be your cup of tea, but I enjoy the Marrakesh in Morroco, tasty food and good entertainment.

rob.

Upvote 0

vilegirl

I would probably get rid of San Angel Inn. We LOVE mexican food, but we weren't all that impressed with this restaurant. Like someone else mentioned...we'd rather just go to the cantina for nachos when we're feeling in the mexican mood!:lol:

Le Cellier is one of our favorite restaurants for lunch so I'd keep that one!!

We also really like California Grill and Brown Derby. We haven't eaten in the castle since the menu change, but we love eating in the castle! I mean...where else can you go and eat in a castle???:sohappy:

I know you're trying to get rid of restaurants rather than add them:lol: , but have you thought of Ohana. It's one of our favorites.:slurp:

Have fun!!

Upvote 0

tink rules

Check into the dining plan.... I haven't done it myself yet, but everyone who does it raves about it. It will save you lots if you are staying on the property.....

Upvote 0

fredtom

You have some excellent dining choices...
Dinner at San Angel Inn is always a must-do for my wife and me. The Mole Poblano has long been my favorite. Keep in mind that this is not Tex-Mex, American Southwest, or Californian Mexican, but an authentic Mexico City based restaurant. So, if you're just the nachos & tacos type, you might not appreciate the food. However, don't overlook the Margaritas (see photo above).

You can shave some dollars from your budget by just going to the Coral Reef for dessert, which we have done a couple of times... maybe try doing that after having lunch at Le Cellier, which is quite reasonable for the type menu and food served.

If you like sushi, try going to the Matsonoma Lounge in Japan for a light lunch. The view of the World Showcase promenade and lagoon is fabulous, and they offer an inexpensive sushi and tempura menu in the lounge.

You could toss a coin and choose either Flying Fish or California Grill (ask for Ron as your server) if you want to save some money by going to one or the other. Or, you could do CG and if you still want a place on the boardwalk that's a little less expensive, substitute Spoodles for FF. You could always have late evening appetizers in the lounge at CG, and not a full dinner... and there's nothing like being at the "Top of the World" overlooking the MK.

Jiko is fantastic, but if you want to cut your spending, try Boma at AKL. You'll be sacrificing the fine dining atmosphere for a buffet, but it's a must-do as well, and you'll be spending about half as much.

You could save at the Brown Derby by going for lunch instead.

As another reply mentioned, check out the changes at Cindy's in the MK before you decide; and you might even want to consider purchasing the dining plan.

I hope this is helpful to you... and have fun.

-- Mouseketeer Freddie ºoº
"An Adventurer's life is best!"

Upvote 0

I luv WDW

Meals

I would skip the San Angel Inn and the Coral Reef. I would switch Le Cellier to dinner, rather than lunch. Skip the Brown Derby, too. It's not worth what you pay for it. Our favorites are Nine Dragons, Le Chefs De France, the Rose and Crown and Alfredo's, all in Epcot.:slurp:

Upvote 0

hooch

I would skip Japan.
DON'T MISS Jiko!! It is my favorite and a wonderful experience. Terrific wines and terrific sommeliers! Yummy flatbreads and their chicken with olives is great. I also love the short ribs!! I love EVERYTHING at Jiko (except, I'm afraid, their desserts :0 )
Enjoy yourselves!!
Oh, and I thought Flying Fish was wonderful!

Upvote 0

Kadee

My opinion is about the same as everyone else's: Skip Corel Reef. The food in not good at all. It is edible and won't make you :hurl: but that is about all I can say about it. Le Cellier is wonderful, but as others have suggested, I would definitely switch to dinner.

Brown Derby was nice, but we went in for a VERY late lunch(3 or 4 pm) about 8 years ago (I think). There were about 3 other tables occupied. So we got great service, our drinks never got below half empty and the Cobb Salad was very good. So what I am trying to say is, our experience may not be typical because of the circumstances.

Cinderella's Royal Table is switching their menu very soon (Feb 1, I think...) so you may have to wait on the reviews.

One place you may want to try is the little sandwich shop right behind the pastry shop on Main Street. I forget the name.....Plaza something or other? GREAT sandwiches, great atmosphere and the prices are very good considering you are in WDW. Good for lunch.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom