Outpost to be rethemed?

Bocabear

but let's face it...average guests don't really want authentic, absolutely authentic Chinese food... Nine Dragons is not bad...and when it was built, Chinese food was not as available everywhere the way it is now...unless you lived in a big city. Nowadays Thai and Chinese and Sushi seem to be everywhere you look. Stylistically something Southeast Asian would be lovely in that outpost space...it would make a nice transition from the China pavilion. The argument that Animal Kingdom is mostly Africa so this has to be changed also would impact an argument for adding something Southeast Asian as a theme...Feels like a large portion of Animal Kingdom leans that way. With no additional country pavilion on the way, it would be nice if something happened with that area...maybe a bit of India...again, some permanent food and beverage service and a lovely covered tiered seating area on the water would be amazing...that would actually imp[rove the guest experience more than a selfie pavilion....

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
but let's face it...average guests don't really want authentic, absolutely authentic Chinese food... Nine Dragons is not bad...and when it was built, Chinese food was not as available everywhere the way it is now...unless you lived in a big city. Nowadays Thai and Chinese and Sushi seem to be everywhere you look. Stylistically something Southeast Asian would be lovely in that outpost space...it would make a nice transition from the China pavilion. The argument that Animal Kingdom is mostly Africa so this has to be changed also would impact an argument for adding something Southeast Asian as a theme...Feels like a large portion of Animal Kingdom leans that way. With no additional country pavilion on the way, it would be nice if something happened with that area...maybe a bit of India...again, some permanent food and beverage service and a lovely covered tiered seating area on the water would be amazing...that would actually imp[rove the guest experience more than a selfie pavilion....
I'd love Filipino food. I just got exposed to their food a couple years ago and very few cities even have an option. Tampa actual has one of the best I've ever been too.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

but let's face it...average guests don't really want authentic, absolutely authentic Chinese food... Nine Dragons is not bad...and when it was built, Chinese food was not as available everywhere the way it is now...unless you lived in a big city.
I think this is very true more generally for WS restaurants. It kind of surprises me how San Angel Inn is so Tex Mex rather than serving anything particularly similar to what you'd find in Mexico, but when it opened decent Mexican food was not that easy to find in the US. I think even today diners at Epcot would have a fit if things like nachos were replaced with chilaquiles verdes and they seem to have generally had trouble attracting people toward less familiar cuisines such as Moroccan and Norwegian.

Nowadays Thai and Chinese and Sushi seem to be everywhere you look. Stylistically something Southeast Asian would be lovely in that outpost space...it would make a nice transition from the China pavilion. The argument that Animal Kingdom is mostly Africa so this has to be changed also would impact an argument for adding something Southeast Asian as a theme...Feels like a large portion of Animal Kingdom leans that way. With no additional country pavilion on the way, it would be nice if something happened with that area...maybe a bit of India...again, some permanent food and beverage service and a lovely covered tiered seating area on the water would be amazing...that would actually imp[rove the guest experience more than a selfie pavilion....
That actually sounds like quite a nice idea for the area. Whether it was themed to one region or featured a range of different cuisines not featured elsewhere (e.g. Thai, Indian, Ethiopian, Colombian, etc.) with a small stage for entertainment from acts also not represented elsewhere and an outdoor seating area. It would be a kind of mini-version of the F&W festival and I think quite popular and profitable as well as fitting in with WS.

Last edited:

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

I think this is very true more generally for WS restaurants. It kind of surprises me how San Angel Inn is so Tex Mex rather than serving anything particularly similar to what you'd find in Mexico, but when it opened even decent Mexican food was not that easy to find in the US. Even today, I think even today people would have a fit if things like nachos were replaced with chilaquiles verdes and they seem to have generally had trouble attracting people toward less familiar cuisines such as Moroccan and Norwegian.

That actually sounds like quite a nice idea for the area. Whether it was themed to one region or featured a range of different cuisines not featured elsewhere (e.g. Thai, Indian, Ethiopian, Colombian, etc.) with a small stage for entertainment from acts also not represented elsewhere and an outdoor seating area. It would be a kind of mini-version of the F&W festival and I think quite popular and profitable as well as fitting in with WS.
Foods of the World...
...an amazing concept for World Showcase - so much better that the Floating Junkyard®

DlpPhantom

Harper Goff had an idea for a international food court that would‘ve gone on the Norway pavilion plot. It could make a good replacement for the Outpost and lead to many nations and they food to be represented within World Showcase.

37744E41-58A1-4643-86D5-A978D6BB04BA.jpeg

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Harper Goff had an idea for a international food court that would‘ve gone on the Norway pavilion plot. It could make a good replacement for the Outpost and lead to many nations and they food to be represented within World Showcase.

View attachment 604967
Would really love this at the outpost site and maybe between Japan/Morocco? Easy spot to relocate a number of promenade clutter kiosks. Add some nice landscaping and seating and it would be a very welcomed addition.

ohioguy

It really is a shame that we don't have an India pavilion; Egypt, Brazil, Australia, Spain and Greece also come to mind immediately -- lots of culture, natural wonders, and wonderful food that would highly contribute to World Showcase. I remember talk of Switzerland for a while, if only to bring the Matterhorn ride to Florida. It's been so long since we had a new addition to WS (30 years?) that it's borderline ridiculous at this point.

TikibirdLand

It really is a shame that we don't have an India pavilion; Egypt, Brazil, Australia, Spain and Greece also come to mind immediately -- lots of culture, natural wonders, and wonderful food that would highly contribute to World Showcase. I remember talk of Switzerland for a while, if only to bring the Matterhorn ride to Florida. It's been so long since we had a new addition to WS (30 years?) that it's borderline ridiculous at this point.
Nah, it IS ridiculous at this point. I think that, once Disney couldn't find people to pay for pavilions, their World's Fair concept wasn't working and they didn't know what to do with the park. Re-theming of the Norway ride to Frozen demonstrated their desire to turn EPCoT into Disney's Fourth Gate, giving up on the whole concept. I think you'll see more IP based stuff in the old Future World while WS will become the Food and Wine park (mainly). Seems the former already has. Don't know why they'd need more pavilions for that...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom