Trip Report Our Journey to the Dark Side, plus a little bit of Disney...June 2018 **Completed**

We're back!!
2801128_98956790.jpg

Who: Me (Amy), the hubby (Brian), and our three kids, Logan (15), Lily (13), and Owen (10)
Where: Universal Orlando (Cabana Bay Beach Resort and Hard Rock Hotel) plus one day on Disney property
When: Sunday, June 10 - Saturday, June 16

I was bad and didn't take notes this trip, so my pics may need to speak for themselves at times!

Sunday, June 10
Brian and I got up at midnight to start getting ready. We had the kids up and ready and the car packed by a little after 1:00am. The drive was so much better this year than last! Some of it was that we chose to drive through the night, but we didn't hit any major construction either, which helped a lot. It was even smooth sailing through Atlanta!! We brought granola bars, Nutrigrain bars, OJ, and apple juice and ate breakfast while driving. We also packed lunch items and ate quickly at the Florida Welcome Center. We made it in plenty of time for OJ this year!
20180610_120855 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
20180610_121053 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

First sighting of Universal: Volcano Bay and Cabana Bay Beach Resort:
20180610_153119 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
20180610_153129 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

We pulled in about 3:30pm, so we made it in a little over 14 hours (took us closer to 17 last year!!).
20180610_153332 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
IMG_8196 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

Listening to the bird in the vanishing cabinet:
IMG_8197 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

IMG_8198 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8199 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

IMG_8200 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8201 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8203 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
20180613_091038 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8204 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8205 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8206 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8207 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8208 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
A few more of Diagon Alley:
IMG_8210 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8211 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8214 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8215 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8217 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8218 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8219 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

Then a few pics in London before moving on:
IMG_8221 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8222 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8223 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8224 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

Logan thought it would be cute to try photobombing this pic! If you look closely, you can see his head and hand!
IMG_8227 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
The Harry Potter areas looks great and truly immersive. Outside of that however, Universal seems like a mishmash of different things thrown together.
That is exactly what it is! And there isn't a big variety of ride types either! It's either a coaster/thrill ride or a 3D simulator where they figure out how to squirt you with water at least once! Brian and I were talking the other night about how we would never choose to go there without the kids because of that. It's definitely worth visiting at least once, just not something I would do year after year!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
After our morning of Diagon Alley, the kids wanted to try again to ride Fast and Furious. You pass the exit first when coming from this direction.
IMG_8228 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

There was no one around, so we had to stop and pay tribute to Jaws. The kids thought I was silly, but then they all chose to do the same thing!!
IMG_8229 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8230 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8231 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8232 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

Brian had trouble because he was too tall to use the bar comfortably to pull himself up, so I promised I wouldn't post the not very flattering picture I got of him!

There are some nice views from the dock area:
IMG_8233 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8234 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8235 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8236 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8238 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
We then managed to make it all the way through the queue and ride Fast and Furious. My two cents: don't waste your time!! It was pretty bad, even Brian thought so and he is usually pretty accepting of things. They have you go through the walk through, then have 2 different preshow areas, then you wait in a hallway before actually entering the ride area. They could have done so much more with this ride. Oh well, we can at least say we've done it, but we don't plan on doing it again!
IMG_8239 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8240 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8241 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8242 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
Here comes our party bus:
IMG_8243 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8244 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8245 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
The kids wanted to ride Mummy again, so we headed that way. A few pics on the way:
IMG_8248 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8249 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8250 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8253 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8254 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

Everyone really enjoys that ride! It is a combination of a dark ride and Rock n Rollercoaster.

Next up was Rip Ride Rockit for me, Logan, and Lily. Owen and Brian rode Minions again.
IMG_8257 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8259 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

We then took the "secret" exit out of Universal Studios so we could go to Islands of Adventure for lunch.

We say Hello Kitty also leaving:
IMG_8260 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

The exit takes you out to the back side of Hard Rock Cafe.
IMG_8262 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8263 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8264 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
As we were entering IOA, the kids decided they wanted to ride Hulk before we ate lunch. Brian decided to sit this one out and just stay with our bag instead of having to get a locker.
IMG_8265 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8266 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8267 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8268 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8270 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8271 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8272 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
61501_061318_000080987 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

On our way to lunch, we had to stop and let these guys drive past:
IMG_8275 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8276 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8277 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8278 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
We had lunch at Thunder Falls Terrace.
IMG_8279 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8280 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8281 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
Brian and Owen split the ribs, Lily and I had chicken that we shared with Brian, and Logan got the bacon cheeseburger. All was delicious again this year!
IMG_8284 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8285 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

IMG_8286 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8287 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8288 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

The plan after lunch was to ride Jurassic Park River Adventure right before going back to the room for an afternoon break in case we got really wet. We decided to do the Raptor Encounter first. We got to meet Blue!
20180613_121233 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8292 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

Here, the handler is telling us not to make eye contact with her so as not to upset her:
20180613_121308 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

Here, he is reprimanding Owen because he turned around and made eye contact with her!
20180613_121312 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

Not sure what he said here to get a reaction out of Owen.
20180613_121317(0) by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
20180613_121326 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

He told Owen that since he had already made eye contact, he might as well turn around and do it again!
20180613_121330_010 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
20180613_121330_013 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
20180613_121332 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
61404_061318_000044130 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Then we headed to River Adventure.
IMG_8293 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

We really did not get very wet, which was perfect for me because I really hate walking around wet!!
This is where we had another issue with our Photo Pass and the lady discovered something wrong with my account and had to spend forever fixing it. And I just realized that after all the time she spent, we didn't end up with our ride photo!!

We had one more stop to make before returning to the room. Lily wanted to buy a Pygmy Puff, but it was so big we didn't want to carry it around any longer than we had to, so we needed to go back to Diagon Alley for her to get it. The quickest way was to catch the Hogwart's Express. A few pics on the way:
IMG_8294 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8296 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8297 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
61605_061518_000055412 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
61605_061518_000055430 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8299 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8303 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8305 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8306 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8307 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

When we got there, they had her go through a naming ceremony. She named hers Petunia.
IMG_8308 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8314 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

I took Lily and Owen to the pool for about an hour while Brian and Logan relaxed in the room.
20180613_141135 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

MySmallWorldof4

That is exactly what it is! And there isn't a big variety of ride types either! It's either a coaster/thrill ride or a 3D simulator where they figure out how to squirt you with water at least once! Brian and I were talking the other night about how we would never choose to go there without the kids because of that. It's definitely worth visiting at least once, just not something I would do year after year!
I love all your pictures. We have kids close in age and yes, it does go fast. One of mine is practicing for her written drivers test.:confused: My problem with Universal is what you describe. I have one who cannot do simulator rides, and then another who loves coasters, but is too small for many at Universal. The only reason I would want to go would be just to see the Harry Potter areas, and I am not sure that that is enough reason to go. By the way, the Pygmy Puff looks nothing like I imagined. I thought they would be much smaller. Love the picture of the cotton candy, and ice cream for breakfast sounds great on vacation.:)

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I love all your pictures. We have kids close in age and yes, it does go fast. One of mine is practicing for her written drivers test.:confused: My problem with Universal is what you describe. I have one who cannot do simulator rides, and then another who loves coasters, but is too small for many at Universal. The only reason I would want to go would be just to see the Harry Potter areas, and I am not sure that that is enough reason to go. By the way, the Pygmy Puff looks nothing like I imagined. I thought they would be much smaller. Love the picture of the cotton candy, and ice cream for breakfast sounds great on vacation.:)
Logan just got his temporary license yesterday!! I don't even know how that is possible!

There are multiple sizes of pygmy puffs. She just felt like she had to have the biggest one! We have a mini one on a keychain from last year's visit.

We all know calories don't count on vacation, right!?!

I'm glad we got to experience all that Universal has to offer, but I think it will be a long while before we return as a family.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
After our afternoon rest period, we decided to walk to Portofino Bay to see what it was like.
IMG_8316 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8317 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8318 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8319 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8320 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8322 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8323 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8324 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8325 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

It was beautiful, and I would have loved to go inside, but the water taxi was at the dock and the kids were wanting to get back to the parks, so off we went!
IMG_8327 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8328 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8329 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8330 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
First order of business was dinner. We decided to go to Cafe 4 for some meatball subs.
IMG_8331 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8334 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

Worst dining experience ever!! As we were waiting in line to order, the skies opened up and there was a major thunderstorm. Well, everyone decided to come inside and just sit at the tables, so once we ordered and had our food, there was nowhere to sit! The managers refused to help us and everyone just sat there watching us hunt for a table while they were playing on their phones or just relaxing. A family finally got up when they were finished eating so we could sit. Another family was forced to place their trays of food on top of a trash can and eat while standing there, and one of the workers had the nerve to tell them they couldn't eat there. The lady was like where do you want me to eat? They told her she could find a table outside (in the thunderstorm!!) The food was good, but would have been better hot! Owen got spaghetti and meatballs and the rest of us had meatball subs.
IMG_8335 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8336 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8337 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
The kids wanted to ride Forbidden Journey again, so we headed back to Hogsmeade.
IMG_8339 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8341 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8342 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8343 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8344 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8345 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8346 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8347 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8348 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8349 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8350 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8352 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8355 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

Brian decided to try riding this again even though it made him incredibly sick last year. He did ok this time. He said it was better because he knew what to expect and was prepared. He still chose to make this his only time riding this trip!! No ride pic because the line was horrendously long.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Owen is really into dinosaurs, so we stopped at the Jurassic Park Discovery Center for him to look around for awhile.
IMG_8357 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8358 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8359 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8360 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8361 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

There is a back patio area that has spectacular views.
IMG_8362 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8363 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8364 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

We stopped for one of the automated Photo Pass pics.
61472_061418_000224228 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

Then the kids wanted to ride Kong again.
IMG_8365 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8366 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8368 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8369 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr
IMG_8370 by Amy Clingner, on Flickr

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom