Our BLT Thoughts

puntagordabob

The Top Of World needs a decent, menu as well as Contempo Food Court in The event you dont want a big meal at The Wave, California Grill or Chef Mickeys maybe you would just like a quick burger, that was no where to be seen at The Contempo Food Court, Flatbreads and 1 sandwich is a pretty poor offering. Even the tiny place at The Beach Club has better offerings.
/QUOTE]

Thats incorrect...The Contempo Cafe not only serves up a hamburger...but IMHO the BEST CS Burger on proprty!!!

Phonedave

Maybe I don't understand DVC completly, but couldn't you just stay at the BCV and not have to ever go back to BLT?:shrug: I understand it is your home resort, and perhaps I am being dense here, but I thought you just bought into a resort so you would have the points, at least that's the impression we got when we were given the DVC tour last September, but like I said I could be completly off my rocker....:lol:

It has to do with booking windows.

You can book 11 months out at your home resorts, 7 months out at any other.

Pooh really seems to like BCV. If you try to book BCV at a 7 month window, you are going to be wait listed and picking whatever scraps they give you.

By selling his BLT points and buying BCV points, he has a much better shot of getting the dates and type of room he wants at BCV.

-dave

PoohsGang

Original Poster
If your going to sell your points and try to buy at BCV, keep in mind that if you own at BLT, your membership is good until 2060, but if you sell at BLT, and buy at BCV, your membership will expire in 2042, thats almost two decades your missing on membership.

If BLT was for life I would still sell it. Honestly, once you stay at Beach Club its pretty hard to stay elsewhere (My opinion) we have sat in lobby yesterday talking to so many other members who have stayed at BLT and the opinions thus far have been i(from us BC members) that the BLT / Contemporary is a cold sterile place lacking the proper services for a resort that size and CMs with unacceptable attitudes, when you stay there you are a number. We havn't felt that once here, again maybe if we didnt have Beach Club to compare it too we wouldn't know what we are missing.
Again many stated they had fun there, honestly we wish we did.

PoohsGang

Original Poster
The Top Of World needs a decent, menu as well as Contempo Food Court in The event you dont want a big meal at The Wave, California Grill or Chef Mickeys maybe you would just like a quick burger, that was no where to be seen at The Contempo Food Court, Flatbreads and 1 sandwich is a pretty poor offering. Even the tiny place at The Beach Club has better offerings.
/QUOTE]

Thats incorrect...The Contempo Cafe not only serves up a hamburger...but IMHO the BEST CS Burger on proprty!!!

I am sorry, you are incorrect, I am here now, there has been no hamburger on menu all week. The menu changes sometimes daily / weekly I was told by CM. There may have been a burger when you were there, which is what I was looking for and disappointed that I could not get one. So far for 2 days there have been flatbreads and 1 Sandwich, it could change today but I'm not there anymore and wont be again.

dizzney

If BLT was for life I would still sell it. Honestly, once you stay at Beach Club its pretty hard to stay elsewhere (My opinion) we have sat in lobby yesterday talking to so many other members who have stayed at BLT and the opinions thus far have been i(from us BC members) that the BLT / Contemporary is a cold sterile place lacking the proper services for a resort that size and CMs with unacceptable attitudes, when you stay there you are a number. We havn't felt that once here, again maybe if we didnt have Beach Club to compare it too we wouldn't know what we are missing.
Again many stated they had fun there, honestly we wish we did.

You know you mya not have been happy in your visit to BLT, but selling a 2060 expiration for 2042 makes no sense, think logically here,

Also sometimes things have to be given a second chance. We werent too pleased with mousekeeping at BLT when we were there (had jsut coem from BWV) BUT loved the resort and wouldnt give up after one trip.

Also you can use your BLT points at 7 month window elsewhere so its not a loss to hold on to them, you're giving up 18 years which you paid for in your price. My BWV points which expire in 2042 and I purchased in 1999, were half the price of my BLT points. Think long before you act here, you may regret in the long run.

Monorail Lime

Comtempo Cafe had cheeseburgers, close to half-a-dozen different sandwiches (with sesame green beans, yum!), and made-to-order salads on our last visit. Sounds like they are having an off week...

PoohsGang

Original Poster
You know you mya not have been happy in your visit to BLT, but selling a 2060 expiration for 2042 makes no sense, think logically here,

Also sometimes things have to be given a second chance. We werent too pleased with mousekeeping at BLT when we were there (had jsut coem from BWV) BUT loved the resort and wouldnt give up after one trip.

Also you can use your BLT points at 7 month window elsewhere so its not a loss to hold on to them, you're giving up 18 years which you paid for in your price. My BWV points which expire in 2042 and I purchased in 1999, were half the price of my BLT points. Think long before you act here, you may regret in the long run.

Its like having a car sitting in your driveway you wont drive but yet still have a loan on......I would sell it......I'll be well into my 80s by the time BCV expires...no kids to worry about leaving it to so the 2042 verse 2060 is of no concern to us, the concern is, being stuck with something you don't want....My only regret so far is purchasing BLT, i can get what I paid according the resale company I originally bought BCV from, also I can get more BCV for a lot less than what I paid years ago. So what I lose with BLT Ill save purchasing BCV. I absolutely wont stick with something I don't like, even if I lose in the long run, its more about enjoyment than the money to us. If I can get the BCV points Im interested in Ill do better than break even at this time.

Monorail Lime

It sounds like your mind is already made up. Barring any major medical advances, you probably will not do much vacationing when you are 100 so there's no reason not to sell the BLT shares (while they are still hot!) and buy more points at your favorite resort.

It's arguably a bad decision from a value perspective but sometimes you have to go with your heart instead.

PoohsGang

Original Poster
It sounds like your mind is already made up. Barring any major medical advances, you probably will not do much vacationing when you are 100 so there's no reason not to sell the BLT shares (while they are still hot!) and buy more points at your favorite resort.

Perhaps Disney can come up with something to extend DVC members lives......lol. it is so nice down here now.....weather could not be any better......

although we paid a price as our pool room at home in NH is now a POOL Room, 9 inches of rain in last 3 days...... really glad we are here now......deal with that when i get home.....

tjkraz

I agree but you know what they say about a fool and his money... :ROFLOL:

In terms of the quality of service, some adjustment period at a new resort should be expected. You don't add 300 new rooms to a resort without hiring new staff. Existing staff have to go through an adjustment period. DVC villas have higher occupancy levels and reduced housekeeping schedules. DVC guests have different needs and different expectations than the typical cash guest.

I'm quite sure that, overall, the staff at the Beach Club currently provides a higher quality service than the staff at the Contemporary/BLT. But to arbitrarily assume that this will continue to be the case for the next 2, 10 or 20 years is naive.

As I said before, it's not like Disney intentionally staffs the Contemporary with jerks and incompetents. Just so happens that the Beach Club staff has had 7 more years to adjust to DVC guests than the CR or AKV staff.

dizzney

In terms of the quality of service, some adjustment period at a new resort should be expected. You don't add 300 new rooms to a resort without hiring new staff. Existing staff have to go through an adjustment period. DVC villas have higher occupancy levels and reduced housekeeping schedules. DVC guests have different needs and different expectations than the typical cash guest.

I'm quite sure that, overall, the staff at the Beach Club currently provides a higher quality service than the staff at the Contemporary/BLT. But to arbitrarily assume that this will continue to be the case for the next 2, 10 or 20 years is naive.

As I said before, it's not like Disney intentionally staffs the Contemporary with jerks and incompetents. Just so happens that the Beach Club staff has had 7 more years to adjust to DVC guests than the CR or AKV staff.

Thats a great point, and I think at the basis of the issues at BLT, I know when we returned I took the time out to answer the survey afterwards as to what I thought of the resort, We didnt have any issues with checkin and baggage, ours were mousekeeping, but we loved everything else, and am in it for the long haul, our kids cannot wait to go back there and do water sports - when we were there it was as low as 32 at night in early janaury - not water sports time or swimming (though the kids swam and loved the pool anyway)

PoohsGang

Original Poster
I agree but you know what they say about a fool and his money... :ROFLOL:

I love how people love to manage others money......if BLT gets better, I can buy back in, Im sure at probably less than the 120 they are asking now. So being the fool with the money it would be stupid not to sell my BLT for 104 which Im told Ill get and buy more BCV at 84 as long as it makes it through ROF. Ya I an see how foolish making a profit can seem. The foolish part would be to hang on to something I can't stand, again I'm happy people enjoy BLT and wish my wife and I did, we didn't so we will sell and purchase BCV, while here (at BCV ) we just put a down payment on 160 pts for BCV at 84 a point through a reseller. The same reseller will be listing our 150 BLT for 104, we actually paid 99.00 so I think this fool is in better shape......at least I know Im done with the sterile enviorment at BLT. Its all about what you like and how YOU manage your money not what someone suggests, if it works for you do it never mind what others say.

tjkraz

I love how people love to manage others money......if BLT gets better, I can buy back in, Im sure at probably less than the 120 they are asking now. So being the fool with the money it would be stupid not to sell my BLT for 104 which Im told Ill get and buy more BCV at 84 as long as it makes it through ROF. Ya I an see how foolish making a profit can seem.

The same reseller will be listing our 150 BLT for 104, we actually paid 99.00 so I think this fool is in better shape......

How much of that (hopefully) $104 are you going to pay out in commission? ;)

The foolish part would be to hang on to something I can't stand...

The foolish part was not buying into the right resort to begin with.

If you are so willing to dismiss a resort after one visit and 2-3 Cast Member interactions, either you didn't do your homework before buying (resort design) and/or were bound and determined to dislike BLT right from the get-go. No idea what logic you used to determine it was the right resort for you in the first place but obviously that logic was flawed.

Hopefully other readers can learn from this...not in the "I should sell and buy elsewhere immediately because an idiot bellhop wouldn't bring my bags in the rain" sense, but in the "making a better decision from the start" sense.

cemeb4dk

Pooh:

Glad your doing what you and your wife are happy doing. Its your money and your opinion. I agree with what your saying. Your on vacation, and you want it to be what you expect, and if its not up to what you and your wife want or expect, its your right to sell. Loss or no loss its your points, and your money. Plus you stated all along its your opinion and your just using the forum as an expression of so. We are BCV members also since 02, and its by far our favorite resort, and stay here everytime basically besides one trip to OKW, because we brought down family and the lesser point value worked into our favor. We too have talked about buying at a new resort or just adding on with same use month to BCV. We decided to add on to BCV when we do, but making sure we get the same use month so all our points will be available to us when we need them, plus the ease of managing. Also maybe someday DVC will offer an extension to us.

So I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip and good luck with your sale and purchase.

PoohsGang

Original Poster
We will do what makes us happy in the end, have already started the process and will actually be better off, I dont feel I have to explain to anyone, i posted our thoughts on BLT and stated that if people had fun there that is great, we wish we did.

PoohsGang

Original Poster
How much of that (hopefully) $104 are you going to pay out in commission? ;)

The foolish part was not buying into the right resort to begin with.

If you are so willing to dismiss a resort after one visit and 2-3 Cast Member interactions, either you didn't do your homework before buying (resort design) and/or were bound and determined to dislike BLT right from the get-go. No idea what logic you used to determine it was the right resort for you in the first place but obviously that logic was flawed.

Hopefully other readers can learn from this...not in the "I should sell and buy elsewhere immediately because an idiot bellhop wouldn't bring my bags in the rain" sense, but in the "making a better decision from the start" sense.

Theres one of you (The person who rams there opinion down my throat and knows better about me than I do on every forum)

Im glad you have my life / thoughts all sorted out for me. I have considered everything you suggest and everything that have figured out for me and my wife thank you for it. We will now do what we want to please us not you, as you can see Im being kind as normally my reply would consist of 3 words and those 3 words are not "Have a magical Day" We shall and will do what is best for us not what you feel is best for us, but Thanks again!

Thanks for your input. Im sure you will post back some other bit of knowledge that is better for me. (You cant help it)

pcarathers

If the staff were that bad, did you make a formal complaint? That't the only way it can be fixed. If guests do not complain to the proper people/management, how can you expect them to be better the next time? I guess maybe you were trying to be nice, but had it been me, I would have looked at the guy and said directly to him, can I speak to YOUR supervisor and when they got there explain to them how rude he was. For what we pay to go there, they should not treat "GUESTS" this way. Between my sister and I, one of us would have surely popped off to him and asked him who peed in his cherrios this morning???????.LOL We bought into BLT and are scheduled for Dec. 2010 and hopefully will have a much better trip than you had.

Tinkermommy

Piping in from the West Coast. Not all new DVC villas have problems from the start. The GCV is our home resort and our trip in Dec. 2009 was great! Service, check in, food everything. Pooh, you and your wife should try something new and come to Disneyland for a stay at GVC and dinner at the Napa Rose. This is where it all started.

We are heading to Kidani Village in May so I hope things improve by then. Check in delays are a bummer after a six hour flight with two toddlers.

PoohsGang

Original Poster
Piping in from the West Coast. Not all new DVC villas have problems from the start. The GCV is our home resort and our trip in Dec. 2009 was great! Service, check in, food everything. Pooh, you and your wife should try something new and come to Disneyland for a stay at GVC and dinner at the Napa Rose. This is where it all started.

We are heading to Kidani Village in May so I hope things improve by then. Check in delays are a bummer after a six hour flight with two toddlers.

We got BLT up for sale for 105 a point, Disney raised them to 120 now, we put a bid in for 160 Beach Club at 84, if it makes it through ROR we will actually clear a bit of money not much but we wont lose, so all in all its working out for us.

As for the complaint we did, we also were told by a Guide that notes are kept and a history of your complaints are kept....hoping they don't red tag us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom