Our BLT Thoughts

PoohsGang

Original Poster
Checked in yesterday,first stay here purchased 150 points, room not ready, thats ok it was early.
Went to Bell Services asked to store our carry ons so we could go to MK.
Seemed as though we were bothering the gentleman in charge, heavy sigh as I asked for them to store our items, my wife said it appeared we were annoying him.

Went to MK got soaked, big rain (not Disneys control)

Came back at 3, checked to see if room was ready, it was not gentlemen told me check in time is 3, looked at my watch it was 3:05, went to Wave had some cocktails. Called at 3:45 asked if room was ready was told it would not be ready until 6 PM Called members services (which were great) all of a sudden room is ready! 3:50PM.

Staff terrible, asked for our luggage, bell services says sorry its raining we can't deliver it now. (Keep in mind my wife and I are soaked and would like to change) Finally I demanded it to be delivered. It made it. Gave the extremely grouchy Gentleman 10.00 then wondered why I GAVE HIM 10.00 as his mood was terrible, same as the other 2 people we dealt with at Bell Services.(Are you kidding me Disney can virtually do anything but no one was smart enough to put a storage room at BLT for luggage so the luggage guys don't have to lug it from Contemporary)

Went to Top of World Lounge very nice, saw wishes from inside as it was raining again very nice. Menu was very disappointing terrible appetizer selection.

Left went to Contempo Food Court, again terrible selection Food courts at Pop Century, Port Orleans 1000% better.

So in closing we have summized that BLT is handled mostly by Contemporary staff and thus far when you need customer service such as Bell Services etc you are met with terrible attitude's. Seems to me that BLT needs its own check in and Bell Services, remember its Florida, it rains a lot, no luggage while its raining I think Disney could come up with a better plan.

The Top Of World needs a decent, menu as well as Contempo Food Court in The event you dont want a big meal at The Wave, California Grill or Chef Mickeys maybe you would just like a quick burger, that was no where to be seen at The Contempo Food Court, Flatbreads and 1 sandwich is a pretty poor offering. Even the tiny place at The Beach Club has better offerings.

Nice resort terrible Quick food choices, angry ed of grouchy staff!

Not feeling The Magic!!!!!!

Now please before all the posts start, remember this is my wife and I experience, you may have had a wonderful experience here, in which case we are happy for you and wish we had a great experience, but we haven't, we check out tomorrow and go to our favorite resort BCV for 8 days, only wish we didn't have to stay at BLT today and could got to BCV NOW!

Forgot, there will be 150 BLT Points for Sale real Soon!!!!!!

DVC Mike

Went to MK got soaked, big rain (not Disneys control)

Sorry to hear you didn't have an enjoyable stay at BLT. By the way, I'm here at WDW too and got soaked at Disney's Hollywood Studios yesterday while you were at the MK.

Went to Top of World Lounge very nice, saw wishes from inside as it was raining again very nice. Menu was very disappointing terrible appetizer selection.

Really, I like the flatbreads they have at TOTW lounge (and I really like the lounge as well).

Left went to Contempo Food Court, again terrible selection Food courts at Pop Century, Port Orleans 1000% better.

I agree with you on the CS at CR. It's not one of the best.

So in closing we have summized that BLT is handled mostly by Contemporary staff and thus far when you need customer service such as Bell Services etc you are met with terrible attitude's. Seems to me that BLT needs its own check in and Bell Services, remember its Florida, it rains a lot, no luggage while its raining I think Disney could come up with a better plan.

BLT is just like BCV (and VWL) in that they share the main resort's staff (including main desk, bell services, in-room dining, etc.).

Nice resort terrible Quick food choices, angry ed of grouchy staff!

Hmm, I'm sorry. We had magical stays during our two stays at BLT thus far.

Hopefully you will feel the magic soon on this trip!

dizzney

So sorry you havent had a great time at BLT, we were there in early January (own BLT), we had gone there from BWV our other DVC home and were disapppointed in the difference of mousekeeping between the two resorts,\. Bell services was fine, it was mousekeeping. We attribute it to it being the newest resort, and perhaps new employees are yet fully trained in the Disney ways.

Loved the rest of BLT, the one bedroom, view from the Lounge (had a drink didnt eat there),

I would try another trip before I sold, everyone has a bad day at times, even Disney

PoohsGang

Original Poster
I guess we just wont get the best out of this place, its just my wife and I no kids, you can only do so much at MK. When we purchased I had thought family would come down with us etc, that never happens.

We also feel with a building this big it should have its own staff, especially when it comes to luggage, we are still laughing about the "no luggage it's raining" they can build the best rides in the world, build all The Presidents for Hall of Presidents, but can't deliver luggage in the rain, I'm sorry thats unreal.

This place is great for 2 days for us but I would rather sell my 150 points here and waitlist until I can add on to BCV. Then I'll chance booking the couple of nights we want here at the seven month point. I guess I really should have thought a bit more before purchasing BLT, kind of got swept up in the sales pitch while visiting the models....oh well live and learn, worst case scenario I'm stuck with BLT Points I can think of alot of things that are worse than that......either way its not a bad place just not too our liking we are spoiled with what The BCV and the area over there has to offer

kapeman

Don't bother with wait listing to buy direct, buy resale and save a ton of cash, especially since DVC just raised the price on BCV.

tjkraz

Sorry to hear your trip was disappointing. But personally I would reconsider selling just to buy elsewhere.

Like Mike said, shared amenities and resources are common at every DVC resort. Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, BoardWalk, Wilderness Lodge...they all share front desk staff, bell staff, valet, restaurants, etc.

As for the staff, sadly you never know what you will get at any given time. BLT may be experiencing a few more blips in service since it is so new, but it's not like Disney makes a habit of shipping all of the surly Cast Members over to the Contemporary. In a couple of years you may encounter a grumpy bell services employee at the Beach Club or get into your room late at the BoardWalk. It happens. Not often, but it does happen.

The comment about not being able to bring the luggage due to rain was garbage. But there's really no need for a dedicated luggage room at the Bay Lake Tower. The luggage has to travel the same distance regardless of where it is stored.

Bottom line: Cast members change. Restaurant menus change.

If you truly like the Beach Club resort and area better, so be it. But if you think this one experience proves that all BLT CMs are bad while CMs at all other resorts are good, you are kidding yourself.

materbuddy

We had a very similar experience with check in. It took almost all day for the room to be ready and we had a 3 year old with us. It was very difficult because he was tired and didn't have anywhere to take a nap.

Bell services was rude as well, as was the head of valet services.

we didn't have any problems with the food. I thought the choices were decent.

Overall we had a good experience. My impression is that the CM are annoyed that they have to deal with DVC members. I think they should have a separate check in and bell services for BLT.

PoohsGang

Original Poster
We had a very similar experience with check in. It took almost all day for the room to be ready and we had a 3 year old with us. It was very difficult because he was tired and didn't have anywhere to take a nap.

Bell services was rude as well, as was the head of valet services.

we didn't have any problems with the food. I thought the choices were decent.

Overall we had a good experience. My impression is that the CM are annoyed that they have to deal with DVC members. I think they should have a separate check in and bell services for BLT.

I agree, with the exception of food, although I didn't mention there were conventions so most places were full. But you would think if they added a place as large as BLT they should add additional Food services etc...... Seems to me they put up BLT and didn't add the appropriate services for the extra guests, yes it seemed we were red balled cause we were DVC. Ill be posting my checkin at BCV in a minute there is a 1000 percent difference. If it was a perfect (Magical World,) I would have the room I stayed in at BLT over at BCV, with the much better amenities and far better and much more pleasent staff.

PoohsGang

Original Poster
UPDATE

Transfered to BCV today, as it was pre planned and so happy we did.

Took a cab to BCV, we were greeted as we pulled up, got a great big welcome home (not to be heard at BLT) the gentlemen took us to check in which we were immediately helped by a pleasant person with no attitude, asked if we were staying at Beach Club or BCV, again no attitude when we said BCV. He told us that they noted our room request and we would be getting it, although it wasn't ready. Not a problem, took our carry stuff to Bell Services didn't make it there because they met us half way being extremely eager to help us. We checked our stuff went to Epcot got a Text at 12:10 our room was ready, this was an hour and a half after we checked in. Came back, Bell Services got our stuff to the room within 5 minutes, there is no comparison between BLT and BCV.
Staff is better, facilities are more equipped, its like someone added on to The Contemporary and forgot to increase the staff, Dining services etc. The attitudes of the staff at The Contemporary / BLT are totally unacceptable. We meet our guide on Monday to sell our 150 points at BLT and will be purchasing more BCV. To all who enjoy and have had good service at BLT we wish that we were as lucky, but I'll take my money and spend it elsewhere. We and I say WE My Wife and I will never stay in that place again, too bad because when we use to stayed at Contemporary before BLT was built when The Steak House was there & The Outer Rim Bar was larger we had so much fun, we purchased BLT thinking we would have the same experience, not a chance. It's like BLT is the ugly step child to the workers at The Contemporary. It took less than a minute when we arrived at BCV for my Disney smile to come back, the only way my smile can be removed is when I will have to leave. I smiled for about an hour at BLT. BLT is just not for us! Maybe it will get better over time, but I'm not wasting my money waiting......

yoyoflamingo

Isn't check in time at DVC resorts 4?

Sorry you had a bad time there...we bought into BLT and have yet to stay there...1 month until we go (have stayed at Grand Californian already). Hoping we have a better time that this...

PoohsGang

Original Poster
Thats is what we thought, we were quite alright with 4 until the CM said our room wont be ready until 6.......that is why I called member services. Again member services were great, she said thats what we are here for call us anytime you are having a problem. As my wife said it's like the guy was ed that we asked him to check the room at 3:05 (it was also the gentleman who said check in was at 3 as I had read DVC checkin was 4) so he told us the room wont be ready until 6. It was very obvious that we were bothering him by asking. As we said before, same attitude with the Luggage people. A real let down.

My wife said something yesterday, if we had never bought at BCV perhaps we would not feel the way we do as we would not have had such wonderful service as we get at BCV to compare BLT too.

I did remind her why we bought there, we stayed there 2 years ago before BLT and before they removed The Steak House, before they downsized the Outer Rim Bar and the service, attitudes everything was 1000 percent better, therefore when BLT was announced we jumped right on board, its amazing how much things can change in 2 years, thats why we decided our money will be spent at a resort that appreciates us and has better amenities, again had we not had BCV to compare BLT too maybe we wouldn't even be discussing this. Anyways we meet with our guide tomorrow to discuss selling BLT, I have been told Disney has a recommended resale seller, we will see as the people we (resaler) we bought or BCV points from has stated that they will have no problem selling our BLT points for what we purchased them for, I'm just trying to see who gets the lesser commission between the two.

Bluemoon

We ran into the same CM attitude at Kidani. Apathy and rudeness from the checkin attendent.

We switched to OKW in the middle of our stay. Always seems to be better service there for some reason and it is not our home.

PoohsGang

Original Poster
We ran into the same CM attitude at Kidani. Apathy and rudeness from the checkin attendent.

We switched to OKW in the middle of our stay. Always seems to be better service there for some reason and it is not our home.

Kidani, another of The newer Resorts.....just my wife and my thoughts Could the staff be overworked? Just a thought we can't for the life of us figure out why everyone at BCV can be so much more pleasant than BLT staff. OKW and BCV being much older DVC resorts. Could the staffs at the new be over worked possibly? That would explain some of the attitudes, still not acceptable though. We felt like we needed shirts printed up that says 'Please dont Hate Us Cause We are DVC Members" at The BLT resort.

Bluemoon

Kidani, another of The newer Resorts.....just my wife and my thoughts Could the staff be overworked? Just a thought we can't for the life of us figure out why everyone at BCV can be so much more pleasant than BLT staff. OKW and BCV being much older DVC resorts. Could the staffs at the new be over worked possibly? That would explain some of the attitudes, still not acceptable though. We felt like we needed shirts printed up that says 'Please dont Hate Us Cause We are DVC Members" at The BLT resort.

You may very well be onto something.

Our home is Saratoga and Kidani. We perfer OKW but thought we would stay at Kidani just once. That was enough.
It may be that the staff is overworked at the newer resorts but I wonder if it isn't something deeper than that.
All the resorts were built to be a profit center but I think the newer resorts may have lost their magic because the emphasis is on profit, not "magic".

We really felt like a number at Kidani-not a member.

Off the subject alittle, we have never stayed at BCV but really want to someday. When we call to make reservations, it is always booked. That might be because the service there is better. Just a thought.

PoohsGang

Original Poster
You may very well be onto something.

Our home is Saratoga and Kidani. We perfer OKW but thought we would stay at Kidani just once. That was enough.
It may be that the staff is overworked at the newer resorts but I wonder if it isn't something deeper than that.
All the resorts were built to be a profit center but I think the newer resorts may have lost their magic because the emphasis is on profit, not "magic".

We really felt like a number at Kidani-not a member.

Off the subject alittle, we have never stayed at BCV but really want to someday. When we call to make reservations, it is always booked. That might be because the service there is better. Just a thought.

Its always booked at the 7 month window, (I thinks its location, location, location so much you can do without ever stepping on a bus, also great service) we had problems at 11 month (depending upon the season Xmas mostly) at times but a small wait 2 days maybe a week and we always get what we want, the staff over here do really seem to go out of there way to serve you. We always request a certain room (give them 3 or 4 rooms we would like) and they have always come through. We have also never waited longer than 2 hours for our room to be ready after checkin, this even applies to when we have checked in at 9 am, seems they rush the rooms for people who have checked in. As you can see why we said if we had never had the service we have at BCV we would not know what we are missing. I guess we are spoiled.

cdunbar

I guess we just wont get the best out of this place, its just my wife and I no kids, you can only do so much at MK. When we purchased I had thought family would come down with us etc, that never happens.

We also feel with a building this big it should have its own staff, especially when it comes to luggage, we are still laughing about the "no luggage it's raining" they can build the best rides in the world, build all The Presidents for Hall of Presidents, but can't deliver luggage in the rain, I'm sorry thats unreal.

This place is great for 2 days for us but I would rather sell my 150 points here and waitlist until I can add on to BCV. Then I'll chance booking the couple of nights we want here at the seven month point. I guess I really should have thought a bit more before purchasing BLT, kind of got swept up in the sales pitch while visiting the models....oh well live and learn, worst case scenario I'm stuck with BLT Points I can think of alot of things that are worse than that......either way its not a bad place just not too our liking we are spoiled with what The BCV and the area over there has to offer
Maybe I don't understand DVC completly, but couldn't you just stay at the BCV and not have to ever go back to BLT?:shrug: I understand it is your home resort, and perhaps I am being dense here, but I thought you just bought into a resort so you would have the points, at least that's the impression we got when we were given the DVC tour last September, but like I said I could be completly off my rocker....:lol:

SMRT-1Michael

We had the best experiences at Bay Lake Tower over Thanksgiving week, the experience was especially wonderful because it was holiday time. We were in room 7726, which was superb.

Sorry to hear your experience wasn't great, but i do have to agree with on one thing, BCV is truly amazing!

SMRT-1Michael

If your going to sell your points and try to buy at BCV, keep in mind that if you own at BLT, your membership is good until 2060, but if you sell at BLT, and buy at BCV, your membership will expire in 2042, thats almost two decades your missing on membership.

BalooChicago

We stayed at BLT in January. My whole family goes to WDW every other year. We missed last year as my wife and sister-in-law were both expecting, so we were really looking forward to the trip, and especially the proximity to MK with the two toddlers. The building is OK, it's not the most themed, but the rooms are spectacular. The service however, both at BLT/Contemporary and the parks in general, were a HUGE disappointment. My siblings and I are now at the point that our friends, who are also starting families, are asking us about WDW. Sadly, based on this last trip, I don't think I can recommend it to my friends until things improve. Had this been our first trip, I have no doubt it would have been our last.

disneycouple07

We have a week booked at Contemporary, so after ready these post, I'm concerned. Previous vacations have been at Grand Floridian and Beach Club. We've booked the Contemporary because of the location of Magic Kingdom. Should I change resorts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom