Trip Report Our August 2013 Trip - Like No Trip We Have Done Before!

Boy, there are so many great new trip reports out right now, I am reluctant to start my own! I just want to read them all. I did want to start though, so I don't forget things that actually happened on our trip.

This trip was like no other we have done before because for the first time, we were traveling with a kid! We went with my sister and brother-in-law (we have gone with them once before) and my niece who just turned 4. We had to go at a totally different pace than we are used to which at times was refreshing. We couldn't do the parks commando style this time. We wanted to try and utilize the morning EMH more (which we have NEVER done) and stop in the afternoons for naps. Normally, we sleep in a little and go hard from late morning till late night.

One other big change for this trip was that I decided to travel light and left my DSLR camera home. That was hard! I upgraded my super old model Canon Elph and bought a Canon Powershot SX260 HS. It was nice not having to lug my huge heavy camera bag, but I did kind of miss it.

When we first talked about this trip, my sis wanted to do a short trip. I think the thought of being at Disney World with a 4-yo, with no good schedules or routine scared her a bit. This worked out well because by the end, sis was exhausted lol! Dan and I were ok with this as we had just been to the World in January for Marathon Weekend. 4 nights was about all we could afford this time around! We booked a woods view room at the Wilderness Lodge. We had originally booked the standard view but when the discounts came out, there were no standard views available. The woods view with the discount still saved us enough money to get the dining plan at about the same price as the standard with no dining plan.

And...Away we go!!

We woke up really early on Aug 8th. We had a 6 am flight out of Philly! I love and hate those early morning flights. We were up around 2 am. We had to take care of our horses and cats before we left. My friend was coming over that night to house sit for our critters. We had taken our pups to their grandparents' house the night before. I was trying to be out the by 3 am but we had a little late start and left about 3:10. We were supposed to meet my sis and family at the off-site parking but they got there really early. We decided to meet at the airport instead.

We had a quick bite at McD's in the airport and were soon on our way. We left on time with no delays. Yeehaw!

It was a bit of a rainy morning as we left.

Disney Aug 2013 019
by SupersonicNJ, on Flickr

Soon we were up above the clouds and the sun was shining! Someone does need to clean the windows on this Southwest plane though!

Disney Aug 2013 024

My niece was very excited to go!! Frankly, I was surprised she was still awake (that wouldn't last long)!

Disney Aug 2013 021

disneygirl1

Great report! Thanks for sharing! Love WL! question when you fly out of PHL who do you fly with? We usually fly air tran, but had a not so great experience with them in June and am hesitant to fly with them again. Thinkinh SW but can't find fares less then $174 each way! That seem pretty high to me. Thinking of actually flying out of AC with Spirit.

Kristia

Original Poster
@disneygirl1 - Thanks for reading! The past few times that we have flown out of Philly we have gone SW. The prices have gone up a bit but I like their no hassle way of flying. We do pay the extra fee for the earlybird seating although the last time we went I think everyone else did because we were almost in "B". We had a pretty high A boarding number.

I love flying out of AC but HATE Spirit. Used to love them. We are only about 15-20 min from AC airport. I had a long telephone fight with them the last time we flew out of there. Their customer service is horrible, their web site is horrible. Basically, they gave us our first bag free because they were having a promotion. I tried to add a carry on (online) and the site took away my free bag. They told me it was my fault and there was nothing they could do about it. I looked to see if there was even a way to remove a bag online and there wasn't. Long story short, although SW looks pricier initially they have free bags where as Spirit doesn't. Spirit has now lowered their overweight bags to 40 lbs where as most airlines are 50 lb. My bag is usually right around that weight so I would be paying extra for an overweight bag. They also charge for all carry ons except for a small pocketbook or backpack. They are really nickle and diming their customers and it stinks. I really wish AirTran would come back or someone else would come to AC. I have seen Frontier planes there but there service is very limited. Sorry for my Spirit rant! :)

disneygirl1

@disneygirl1 - Thanks for reading! The past few times that we have flown out of Philly we have gone SW. The prices have gone up a bit but I like their no hassle way of flying. We do pay the extra fee for the earlybird seating although the last time we went I think everyone else did because we were almost in "B". We had a pretty high A boarding number.

I love flying out of AC but HATE Spirit. Used to love them. We are only about 15-20 min from AC airport. I had a long telephone fight with them the last time we flew out of there. Their customer service is horrible, their web site is horrible. Basically, they gave us our first bag free because they were having a promotion. I tried to add a carry on (online) and the site took away my free bag. They told me it was my fault and there was nothing they could do about it. I looked to see if there was even a way to remove a bag online and there wasn't. Long story short, although SW looks pricier initially they have free bags where as Spirit doesn't. Spirit has now lowered their overweight bags to 40 lbs where as most airlines are 50 lb. My bag is usually right around that weight so I would be paying extra for an overweight bag. They also charge for all carry ons except for a small pocketbook or backpack. They are really nickle and diming their customers and it stinks. I really wish AirTran would come back or someone else would come to AC. I have seen Frontier planes there but there service is very limited. Sorry for my Spirit rant! :)

OMG! See I flew with Spirit 1x coming home from Orlando and swore I would never fly them again, the bag fees alone are CRAZY to me! I understand that is how they keep cost down but really, my bag was 43 lbs and they charged me an extra $25 for having an over weight bag! I looked at them like WHAT?!?!?! 40 lb limit is insane to me. Christ, luggage empty probably weighs close to 10 lbs. Prices when up on spirit away, so I think that is out of the question now. Add in all the bag fees and I could fly out of Philly for the same price and I'm only 10 mins from that airport. I think we will end up going with SW. I now may look into flying out of BWI with SW though, its a good $60 cheaper each way! I'll drive an hour and 1/2 to save close to $500! LOL

JanieMc

Just wanted to say I'm loving your trip report and great pics! We're going late August-early Sept. 2014 and it's supposed to be a mite slower then, but it's great to know you were able to get everything in with a (precious) young child. My twins will be 5 next year. I have two older kids who've been to WDW several times, but this will be my twins' first!

prfctlyximprct

Stumbled upon your trip report and I loved it!! Staying at the wilderness lodge in August and your pictures have increased my excitement! The slide into the pool looks like so much fun! We have a woods view, but your courtyard view was gorgeous! What a beauty to wake up to! Also trying the whispering canyon, and will probably eat at roaring fork a few times. Your reviews are really helpful! And your niece is adorable! I'm sure she will have find memories of your trip do the try of her life.

Kristia

Original Poster
Stumbled upon your trip report and I loved it!! Staying at the wilderness lodge in August and your pictures have increased my excitement! The slide into the pool looks like so much fun! We have a woods view, but your courtyard view was gorgeous! What a beauty to wake up to! Also trying the whispering canyon, and will probably eat at roaring fork a few times. Your reviews are really helpful! And your niece is adorable! I'm sure she will have find memories of your trip do the try of her life.
I am glad you liked the report! Have fun at WL! You will love it. The scenery there is spectacular and I love the boat ride to the MK. It is one of my favorite places to stay! Thanks for reading!

PartOfYourWorld

Sorry very late to the party! But was happy to read! Stayed at the WL in September for the first time and loved it! And like you was obsessed with the light fixtures LOL. Wish I could fit one of those teepees in my house too!

I'm so happy your niece had a great time!!! :) She is adorable. I bet she can't wait to go back!

I would have to agree with you on Roaring forks...I'm surprised its not bigger being a Deluxe resort. I mean it was never really packed though when we went there.

Thank you for keeping me occupied before I leave for Princess Weekend in 8 hours!

Kristia

Original Poster
Sorry very late to the party! But was happy to read! Stayed at the WL in September for the first time and loved it! And like you was obsessed with the light fixtures LOL. Wish I could fit one of those teepees in my house too!

I'm so happy your niece had a great time!!! :) She is adorable. I bet she can't wait to go back!

I would have to agree with you on Roaring forks...I'm surprised its not bigger being a Deluxe resort. I mean it was never really packed though when we went there.

Thank you for keeping me occupied before I leave for Princess Weekend in 8 hours!
Glad you liked it! I am always late to the game these days. I have so many good trip reports to catch up on! Good luck in the Princess!!! I have to wait till the Wine and Dine for my next Disney race. Have a great time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom