Ouch...Universal article

PencilTest

Original Poster
From today's Orlando Sentinel:

What's scariest at Universal? The slow decay.

Mike Thomas

Jaws has lunged out of the water yet again here at Universal Studios. Alas, I am not terrified.
Poor old guy.
Maybe it's just because I'm old, too. But his skin looks worn. Teeth that had been white daggers of death now appear decayed with gingivitis.
Jaws is a Walter Brennan shark these days, impotently yelling at the tourists to stay out of his front yard.
Meanwhile, over at Back to the Future, more tourists bounce around in aging DeLoreans, chasing Biff around on a screen that has what looks like holes in it.
This is sad indeed. The once mighty Universal Studios, the park that put Disney-MGM Studios to shame, is being neglected to death.
It not only has fallen far behind Disney's movie park, it has slipped to second-tier status among all the major parks. I fear it is only a matter of time before neighboring Islands of Adventure is dragged down with it.
My purpose here is not to denigrate Universal. I have long trumpeted these parks. This column is intended as a wake-up call to save them from becoming Six Flags over Orlando.
Universal has had too many owners, none of them committed to the theme-park business. And so it seems there has been no long-term strategic planning, no continuing investment in upgrades.
Consider these movies on which rides are based: Earthquake came out in 1974 and Jaws in 1975.
Back to the Future, which featured Michael J. Fox as a teenager, came out 20 years ago. Terminator 2 came out 15 years ago.
This is your dad's theme park.
Once, its rides were top-of-the-line. But now when you go in Twister, the cables that swing a cow through the air are painfully visible. It looks like an Ed Wood production.
The only major ride Universal has opened in five years is the Revenge of the Mummy roller coaster.
The big new show, Fear Factor Live, is based on a television series slipping into the abyss of ratings.
It is no surprise that attendance has been steadily declining since 2004, despite numerous ticket discounts.
Meanwhile, down I-4, Disney is decked out in all its Christmas splendor with new attractions galore.
The Osborne Family's Spectacle of Lights at MGM-Studios is stunning. The Fantasmic show is the best I've ever seen. The Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show is a blast.
A new production at Animal Kingdom, Finding Nemo -- The Musical, is ingenious. It is Broadway quality. This follows the addition of a top-notch new coaster, Expedition Everest.
After adding the popular Soarin' ride at Epcot, Disney followed with a Nemo ride for the kiddies.
Combined with all this new stuff are multiday passes that basically give tourists free admission after four days so they can see it all.
Why leave Disney property?
Disney is out to bury Universal, and Universal is not fighting back.
Universal can surrender, put in a Publix at CityWalk and convert its parks to a new urbanism, condo/roller coaster mixed-use development.
Or it can overhaul the Studios park and upgrade Islands of Adventure, bringing both up to 2006 standards.
Cutting back and extracting more profits is not a viable long-term strategy, not when there is a Mouse nearby that is much scarier than any shark.

Mike Thomas can be reached at 407-420-5525 or mthomas@orlandosentinel.com.

IOACentralRadio

This guy has a great track record for making "positive" articles. And ex Universal employees who now work at disney also have great track records for being "positive".

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
This guy has a great track record for making "positive" articles. And ex Universal employees who now work at disney also have great track records for being "positive".
Now now... Zed is still of employ at Universal.. as am I. In fact, I think he's working today.

DigitalDisney

He forgot to mention IOA's newest addition in years, the Trolley ride in Seuss Landing! And no mention of the disaster that is Cinesphere 360 either...

I have no problem with the old shows and attractions still hanging around. There are some things that parks are famous for that should never just disappear, although they will need updating and refreshing once in a while. T23D, Earthquake, and ET should never be removed from the park.

To keep the park fresh, things need to change periodically. You need to give people a reason to come back. Earthquake is a legacy attraction that shouldn't ever go away, but it is in dire need of a complete overhaul. The same applies to ET (how about some real AAs please?). Something also needs to go into the old Nick studios (Spongebob darkride or water ride, anyone?).

You made a profit, Universal Orlando. Now use it...

JROK

Even though I'm a current Uni employee (come see me in Macy's Parade!) I still agree with this article... Instead of handing out "Help Save The Clocktower" fliers, we should hand out, "Help save the Studio!"

Michael72688

I also am a current UO employee and agree 100% with this article. Universal is in some very serious trouble and they are getting so far into a hole they soon wont be able to dig themselves out. Its ashame two amazing parks with a lot of potential they just refuse to run with it.

Lynx04

Read this artical and couldn't find one thing that I would disagree with. The only reason I still have a premium pass at this point is because I love the Hard Rock Hotel and enjoy the nice discount during visits. But if Universal keeps going down the road it is going (lack of any real major investment), then even perks may not be enough. Although I love Universal, I don't like the lackluster project investment that the parks get.

pheneix

I don't like the article. I don't think he was hard enough on the place. That place is a ****hole. Actually, I take it back. I'd say that calling that place a ****hole would be an insult to a legitimate hole that someone actually disposes bodily waste in. I think they've pretty much lost their way for good. Maybe they can make a go of it as a second tier park operator, but they won't turn nearly as much of a profit as they did in the past, nor will they have any kind of cult following or fan base like they did before.

RIP Universal.

phamton

Meanwhile, over at Back to the Future, more tourists bounce around in aging DeLoreans, chasing Biff around on a screen that has what looks like holes in it.

The screen is made of mesh metal. It doesn't have holes. Maybe he saw a spot on the projector like the ones I see on Soarin'. Currently, BTTF is under construction. One side is down as they are planning on adding a new ride. If that doesn't pan out, there will be a complete refurbishment.

Consider these movies on which rides are based: Earthquake came out in 1974 and Jaws in 1975.
Back to the Future, which featured Michael J. Fox as a teenager, came out 20 years ago. Terminator 2 came out 15 years ago.

Twilight Zone 1959
Star Wars 1977
Muppets 1976

Not to mention all the rides in Fantasyland that are based on movies that are much older.

pheneix

The screen is made of mesh metal. It doesn't have holes.

The screen itself is very, very filthy though. The film itself and the projector lens itself are in horrible shape as well. It really is all kind of a moot point since the ride is closing soon, but that does not excuse Universal for letting the ride rot for so long. It is in horrible shape even compared to other attractions on property, and that is saying a lot. I felt embarrassed to work at that ride.

Twilight Zone 1959
Star Wars 1977
Muppets 1976

I think that of all the licensed properties that have been brought up in this thread the only attraction that will see active duty 10 years from now is the Tower of Terror. And that is just because Disney created such an immersive experience that it really overshadows its property and became something of its own. Both of these companies need to put that kind of attention in their attractions these days. They'll see a lot more longetivity down the road.

That's it, let out all the bitterness.

Most of that company's most bitter critics are its own employees.

kcnole

I'm not going to justify most of your comments with a response as there's no need to because of how ridiculous they are. However I will touch this one.

The screen itself is very, very filthy though. The film itself and the projector lens itself are in horrible shape as well. It really is all kind of a moot point since the ride is closing soon, but that does not excuse Universal for letting the ride rot for so long. It is in horrible shape even compared to other attractions on property, and that is saying a lot. I felt embarrassed to work at that ride.

Kind of reminds me of several properties at WDW that should never have been allowed to fall into decay. Have you stepped foot on the Haunted Mansion or Space Mountain any time lately? I agree that BTTF is in bad shape, but lets not close our eyes and pretend that those kind of problems only happen at Universal and never happen at WDW.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

You can say that again!

Thanks!

Universal is not better than Disney, no matter how much they say it during orientation. They will not win! If "generate superior financial returns" is part of your mission statement, and you aren't an investment firm, then something is wrong. Don't even get me started on the "good business decision v. bad business decision" nonsense from orientation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom