Orlando man charged with hitting a Disney security guard during fight over COVID-19 mask rule

TrainsOfDisney

I hear you, I do, but read the room. Like you, I always try to understand the other person's perspective, but in this case, is does come across as if you're trying to justify or defend his behavior by saying "well, we don't know the full story." Which, sure, we don't, but there's not much more to it. Even if the man was turned away twice or three times, that doesn't justify his actions. Thousands of others are able to get into the parks just fine.

I get this. I also thought it would be somewhat clear I was playing devils advocate for the sake of discussion.

Tori

For those who didn’t read the article... this wasn’t just “put your mask on please” and then he punched him.

The family arrived at Epcot with “improper masks” they went back to the car and returned but then a security guard said one of the kids masks was still “improper” - walking to and from the Epcot parking lot 3 times would probably try anyone’s patience.

If the guy can't handle his temper walking back and fourth from parking lot he's in for a treat in the park.
Found the time - 4:40 pm.. Looong hot walk to the car they should have them for sale outside the gate. I have to totally blame TDO for this.

Well not really but it is an easy problem to avoid.

It's not Disney's fault that the guest chose to wear an improper mask. Maybe people should take personal responsibility for their actions. Read the rules before you visit private property.

eliza61nyc

Why not just offer guests the proper masks for free? My local grocery store can manage that but a billion dollar entertainment company can’t?
Because they shouldn't have to. Why can't grown A adults take responsibility?? He didn't just wake up in the morning to the mask requirement.

Please stop making excuses for this prince charming. He assaulted someone. Now Disney has to be responsible for morons that can't follow rules and have anger management issues?

Jeez I guess when real life problems come to him and he really hurts some one that will be ok too

LoL so how far can we run with that excuse?? It's hot outside can I rob 7-11 because you know they have all the slurpees.... They should know it's hot and people will need them, maybe have free cups right there at the door

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Because they shouldn't have to. Why can't grown A adults take responsibility?? He didn't just wake up in the morning to the mask requirement.

Please stop making excuses for this prince charming. He assaulted someone. Now Disney has to be responsible for morons that can't follow rules and have anger management issues?

Jeez I guess when real life problems come to him and he really hurts some one that will be ok too

Suggesting Disney can do better is not equal to making excuses. I would expect Disney to provide the same level of customer service and courtesy that my local grocery store does, and they don’t nit-pick about what is an acceptable form of a mask. Nobody does except Disney and universal that I’m aware of.

TrainsOfDisney

Ahhh I re-read the article and now it’s coming together....

The security guard reached for his phone to notify a security supervisor of the escalating situation when Toro struck the guard’s head with an “open hand,” the report said.

So he was probably knocking the phone away from the guard... which is a stupid move for anyone to make but would explain why the cm wasn’t hurt.

Archie123

Suggesting Disney can do better is not equal to making excuses. I would expect Disney to provide the same level of customer service and courtesy that my local grocery store does, and they don’t nit-pick about what is an acceptable form of a mask. Nobody does except Disney and universal that I’m aware of.

I guess this is more of that devils advocate that you mentioned earlier??? ;)

eliza61nyc

I guess I'm different see I expect grown adults to act better than a 5 year old. I expect grown adults to be able to exhibit self control and not have a meltdown just because they don't get their way.

My children learned in kindergarten that you do not hit, they learned that hitting is not a correct response to frustration.

Lol so your saying I can haul off and slap someone at the grocery store because I'm made at the long lines?? And use that lame customer service excuse??

You're name wouldn't be "Karen" would it? 😂

Archie123

What did I say that isn’t a fact?

Do you have a personal issue with me? You’ve responded to everything I’ve posted with something snarky.

Nope no personal beef but I find it ludicrous that you have constantly make excuses for a guest to assault a cast member for trying to do his job. It was the guests responsibility to not only have the correct face coverings for himself and his family but to wear it properly the entire time inside the park. I could care less how many times he had to walk back to his car or how hot it was or rainy. Boo hoo. And whether or not Disney should or should not give out free (and they shouldn‘t) masks is irrelevant because they don’t. But hey keep playing “devils advocate” and make excuses for someone like this loser.

SoFloMagic

Found the time - 4:40 pm.. Looong hot walk to the car they should have them for sale outside the gate. I have to totally blame TDO for this.

Well not really but it is an easy problem to avoid.
Since day one they've sold masks in a vending machine that takes card and cash for $2 outside any gate.
For those who didn’t read the article... this wasn’t just “put your mask on please” and then he punched him.

The family arrived at Epcot with “improper masks” they went back to the car and returned but then a security guard said one of the kids masks was still “improper” - walking to and from the Epcot parking lot 3 times would probably try anyone’s patience.
Their website, which you have to visit to make reservations, lists mask requirements across the whole top of the site. When you confirm your reservation, it has a list of what you need to comply with and you need to sign off to get your rezzie.
If you choose to be uninformed, that's on you.

And if you punch someone over masks, there's a special place in theme park hell for you

InnKpr

There's a difference between having the wisdom to question certain things that need questioning, and playing "devil's advocate" for the sake of making waves when none need to be made.
Like I said earlier, it's reasons like this why 2020 is in the looney bin, the internet always seems like one giant slug-fest, and shows like Finding Bigfoot generate high ratings.

"There's a virus killing people."
"But what if it's a hoax and not real??"

"We may get a vaccine for it."
"Don't take it. What if it's deadly???"

"The earth is round."
"But what if it's flat?"

"There's a hurricane comin..."
"Don't trust the meteorologists!!!!"

"A Disney security officer got hit."
"But what if he hit first???"

82620b.gif

The Empress Lilly

I get this. I also thought it would be somewhat clear I was playing devils advocate for the sake of discussion.
Personally I actually appreciate your trying to view this case from all angles. Never take a story at face value. Construct a counter narrative. Question the source like a historian.
Unfamiliarity with critical reasoning too is a 2020 sin, as much as entitlement issues and a penchant for conspiracy theories.

I do expect my final verdict to be the same as my initial one: keep the trash out. And no, WDW does not need to provide free masks (although that could prevent many undesirable scenarios). Shirts and shoes must be worn too, and nobody argues their inalienable rights over these.

TrainsOfDisney

Personally I actually appreciate your trying to view this case from all angles. Never take a story at face value. Construct a counter narrative. Question the source like a historian.
Unfamiliarity with critical reasoning too is a 2020 sin, as much as entitlement issues and a penchant for conspiracy theories.

I do expect my final verdict to be the same as my initial one: keep the trash out. And no, WDW does not need to provide free masks (although that could prevent many undesirable scenarios). Shirts and shoes must be worn too, and nobody argues their inalienable rights over these.

Thanks.

I’m going to expect that if I had witnessed it I would agree with your final verdict as well.

TrainsOfDisney

A Disney security officer got hit."
"But what if he hit first???"

Sorry I wasn’t clear, I never said nor did I intend to imply that I thought the cm hit the guest. I was suggesting that the guest was slapping away the cm if he had put his hand on him. After re-reading the article more carefully I’m guessing he was slapping the phone away from him.

It wasn’t. At all.

In fact, the phrase “clear as mud” comes to mind.

My apologies. I try to see everything in life from both sides. I’ll try to be more clear in future posts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom