Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

Lilofan

I suspect losing some of the best talent has already been factored into the equation. Disney doesn't really care about talent anymore, certainly not on the creative side. The more important trait is obediency, willing to follow the company line/absorb the groupthink.

It's all a value proposition. They are not aiming for excellence. Disney is willing to pay less to get less, so it makes sense to move to a location that fosters that kind of employee.
A top to bottom organization requires policies to be followed and yes obedience , and follow the direction of your boss, etc . If not, look for employment elsewhere or be held accountable for not following and one's time there could be a short one.

James Norrie

Doesn't cost $150 million to build out a typical 100k sq ft white collar office. Office furnishings, etc would be millions.. not HUNDRED plus million.
But is it going to be "just" office space? R&D leans on the industrial side, and requires some hefty upfront investment, especially with the latest and greatest machines. I know WDI outsources their production to vendors, for the most part, but the R&D is mostly done in house.

lazyboy97o

But is it going to be "just" office space? R&D leans on the industrial side, and requires some hefty upfront investment, especially with the latest and greatest machines. I know WDI outsources their production to vendors, for the most part, but the R&D is mostly done in house.
Code assumed minimum is 150 SF per person for a Business occupancy.

2000 people x 150 SF/person = 300,000 SF
2000 people x 200 SF/person = 400,000 SF

It’s not unusual for high end offices to be at 200 SF/person. Even at 150 SF/person in the actual office space, it’s be easy to get up to 200 SF/person when you add in any sort of amenities.

The report is that they’re building near the minimum for 2,000 people to have office space but it would cost nearly quadruple the average for a new Class A mid rise.

MagicHappens1971

Excuse me if I’m wrong, but the majority of these comments sound like they’re coming from people who don’t live in Florida and have never been more than 5 minutes outside of the Disney bubble…. Just my opinion. The debate about colleges, when Florida has several highly rated colleges, FSU & UF being in the top 20 public university’s in the country, and so many other aspects of Orlando, and just southern Florida in general is out of touch and off base..

JoeCamel

When my obligations in North Carolina are done in about 2 years, I'm torn between moving back to Orlando or to somewhere new in Florida. I love Orlando dearly but it's kind of "been there done that" for me, ya know? The hubs and I are eyeing the Sarasota area. We will see.
Sarasota is great if you like the arts, concerts, beach and the sprawl taking over all of coastal Florida. I lived there for a year and worked there for three.
It can be very nice if that's what you want. Expensive but nice.

JT3000

Excuse me if I’m wrong, but the majority of these comments sound like they’re coming from people who don’t live in Florida and have never been more than 5 minutes outside of the Disney bubble…. Just my opinion. The debate about colleges, when Florida has several highly rated colleges, FSU & UF being in the top 20 public university’s in the country, and so many other aspects of Orlando, and just southern Florida in general is out of touch and off base..
You should see the chatter on the more Disneyland-focused boards. A bunch of snobby Californians who've never even BEEN to Florida giving their 80 cents on it. :facepalm: My favorites are the ones who make Orlando out to be 19th century Deep South all because of state-level politics.

Well, headhunters in Central Florida have begun to reach out to people I know (including my wife) to start replacing the California CM's that are rejecting the move to Florida.
It's nice to know they're already back on their feet after being fired from Jungle Cruise. 😏

Last edited:

MorphinePrince

Sarasota is great if you like the arts, concerts, beach and the sprawl taking over all of coastal Florida. I lived there for a year and worked there for three.
It can be very nice if that's what you want. Expensive but nice.
All of the above is right up my alley. I've visited for two extended weekend getaways, which is certainly not a good indicator of how nice an area is to live. Hoping to spend some more time there next summer before we make the big decision.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Some extra details from OBJ -

"The Burbank, California-based company (NYSE: DIS) was approved for the state's capital investment tax credit, a program which requires capital investment of at least $25 million and at least 100 net new jobs, according to new details that have come out in the tax incentive documents.

Disney applied for the tax credit in December 2019 and was approved by the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity in February 2020, according to letters from the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity. Disney can get as much as $570 million through the program paid out over 20 years."

"A site was not identified on application documents, but the company expects to own, construct and operate a roughly 300,000- to 400,000-square-foot campus. Disney said it expects the campus to require an estimated $240 million in capital investment to construct over a three-year period.

Disney expects the total capital investment for the campus to be $864 million, including $624 million for other equipment such as computers and office furniture at the campus. In the tax incentive documents, Disney said the cost of the campus could exceed current projections."

"Other markets that Disney considered for the campus include Burbank/Glendale, California; New York City; and Bristol, Connecticut; where The Walt Disney Co.'s majority-owned ESPN is based. Disney said the incentives were an "integral part" of their site selection."

"The company said Lake Nona's advantages include nearby infrastructure such as available homes, schools not at capacity and proper commuter roads, as well as the state's lack of an income tax. The disadvantages it cited included the potential for disruption by moving the jobs away from its headquarters, loss of talent and the potential "poaching" of key executives by other firms."

JoeCamel

All of the above is right up my alley. I've visited for two extended weekend getaways, which is certainly not a good indicator of how nice an area is to live. Hoping to spend some more time there next summer before we make the big decision.
All the big acts seem to make a stop in Sarasota or Tampa. It gets pretty dead in the summer, lots of snowbirds, winter traffic is a pain but so is Orlando

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom