Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

ULPO46

It’s been a really rough week for everyone so many great and close friends I’ve made over the last decade have up and resigned. It’s tough.
00694BA9-2725-4689-8A0D-17137A5F4990.png

celluloid

All I heard was bla, bla, patronizing, bla, bla. Step down from the throne my friend.
All of that crepe you mentioned is a given. I also have the opinion to disagree. We all get it.

We know that is all you heard, now you are just being rude about it. There was no throne intended. As I mentioned, don't take it personally. What you take out of it is your choice. If you like Be Our Guest Restaurant's design, so be it. You brought it into the conversation and people critiqued it compared to other work by the same company and standards and you did not like their responses. So much so that days later you want to quote my post to make sure to call me patronizing by posting a patronizing post? Cool.

Tonto

We know that is all you heard, now you are just being rude about it. There was no throne intended. As I mentioned, don't take it personally. What you take out of it is your choice. If you like Be Our Guest Restaurant's design, so be it. You brought it into the conversation and people critiqued it compared to other work by the same company and standards and you did not like their responses. So much so that days later you want to quote my post to make sure to call me patronizing by posting a patronizing post? Cool.
All good. I said what I had to say. Moving on. No hard feelings.

the.dreamfinder

EPCOT now and NFL are examples of how the entire process is broken. It's how corporate meddling and bean counting can take a good idea and ruin it. How can you expect to retain high caliber people and turnout high quality product if it gets gutted upon execution? Eventually it becomes exhausting and you're just left with the boot lickers and loud incompetents who churn out mediocre products.

I mean even something as huge as SWGE wasn't safe from this cancer, and was still cut back from it's original concept.
Is it though? WDI is nothing more than a very expensive toy maker. They don’t make art anymore, though artistry is required to create a successful piece. They are no different than the people who make the action figures, plush, picture books or apparel.

Eisner and Strategic Planning threw WDI under the bus for their failures on EuroDisney.
Iger set it in motion with his Franchise/IP mandate and his, and others, low view of themed entertainment generally limited what was possible. Iger/Rasulo/Staggs largely oversaw the outsourcing of WDI under the guise of cost savings (remember MAPO?). Now Chapek came in as P&R head and decidedly moved the direction closer to what he knew, merchandising. This was an obvious endpoint, parks are no more than an ancillary revenue stream.

You have multiple generations of leadership who don’t understand or respect theme parks layering their worldviews, the resulting consequences, onto how this business is run.

Despite their considerable contribution to the company’s profits, Theme Parks are not on the same level as Film and TV. Many, many things need to be changed, but management needs to bring theme parks to the same level as the other two media units.

*I’d also argue Video Games needs to be moved out of DCP for the same reasons, Studios could be a good home, but that’s a topic for another day.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Is it though? WDI is nothing more than a very expensive toy maker. They don’t make art anymore, though artistry is required to create a successful piece. They are no different than the people who make the action figures, plush, picture books or apparel.

Eisner and Strategic Planning threw WDI under the bus for their failures on EuroDisney.
Iger set it in motion with his Franchise/IP mandate and his, and others, low view of themed entertainment generally limited what was possible. Iger/Rasulo/Staggs largely oversaw the outsourcing of WDI under the guise of cost savings (remember MAPO?). Now Chapek came in as P&R head and decidedly moved the direction closer to what he knew, merchandising. This was an obvious endpoint, parks are no more than an ancillary revenue stream.

You have multiple generations of leadership who don’t understand or respect theme parks layering their worldviews, the resulting consequences, onto how this business is run.

Despite their considerable contribution to the company’s profits, Theme Parks are not on the same level as Film and TV. Many, many things need to be changed, but management needs to bring theme parks to the same level as the other two media units.

*I’d also argue Video Games needs to be moved out of DCP for the same reasons, Studios could be a good home, but that’s a topic for another day.
Universal/Comcast was/is faced with the exact same challenges that Disney has. But the difference in approach has been amazing. Whereas Disney got NFL USO got Harry Potter, no comparison. Whereas Disney got a scaled back EPCOT with delays to everything else, USO is full speed ahead on its new gate. This is by no means entirely indicative of the failure of WDI, but it just proves how entirely useless it is and why it’s being relegated to the swamp and outsourcing, because it has no worth to the organization other than its “legendary name”. And the self aggrandizing fools like Instagramineer The Zach just make it worse.

celluloid

Like a typical company package of one week pay for every year worked for the company? It is better than nothing.

Sometimes, sometimes more. That is fairly generous in the business world as it is, because the option to stay and move with the company is a difficult decision, but not the most unheard of thing in many industries.

Notes from Neverland

It goes without saying that this is going to be interesting to follow for Disney's short-term and long-term future.

Not as important, but I'm curious ... what happens to the old tours Adventures by Disney held that included stops to Imagineering?

ULPO46

Thanks for all of your insight. Greatly appreciated.

Are you going to be moving to Orlando?

That's such a bummer they took the Star Wars fans off of Galaxy's Edge.
Always a pleasure no matter where on social media or Dis Boards! Yes as I've stated I'm young, married but have no desire for children anytime soon. My wife works for Palmas Restaurant Group aka Mexico Pav and Coronado Springs, so I will finally be able to make Orlando more permanent for myself and our future. Long distance has been rough but that's a part of the job when we have parks on 3 continents. If anyone watched the Imagination Story on Dis+ you pretty much heard Joe Rohde imply he was not happy about Pandora. But I mean everyone will find work elsewhere for Joe, he went over to Virgin Galactic.

Most high profile Imagineers will find work, whether here in SoCal or Florida or anywhere else in the world. Those who are more script/screenplay and sound engineering will have a much more difficult transition, why Florida is not the entertainment capital of the world. It all just depends on who is an expert in what field.

ULPO46

It goes without saying that this is going to be interesting to follow for Disney's short-term and long-term future.

Not as important, but I'm curious ... what happens to the old tours Adventures by Disney held that included stops to Imagineering?
I can't quote on it for sure but the Grand Central Creative Campus will remain Disney property. But with a very reduced Imagineering Presence. Grand Central does way more than just parks, every Disney Consumer product gets tested there before it goes to Mattel, Hasboro and other manufacturers. It will remain, just not in the same function. It's just a very difficult time frame for a majority of imagineers to sell homes ect for an uncertain future. For all most know we can get laid off the moment we arrive in Florida people have to put that in balance. But you can't be held victim if you truly love your job even if moral is low, waking up every morning knowing you love your job is worth while.

Sir_Cliff

Universal/Comcast was/is faced with the exact same challenges that Disney has. But the difference in approach has been amazing. Whereas Disney got NFL USO got Harry Potter, no comparison. Whereas Disney got a scaled back EPCOT with delays to everything else, USO is full speed ahead on its new gate. This is by no means entirely indicative of the failure of WDI, but it just proves how entirely useless it is and why it’s being relegated to the swamp and outsourcing, because it has no worth to the organization other than its “legendary name”. And the self aggrandizing fools like Instagramineer The Zach just make it worse.
I don't know I agree with all that. Sure, Harry Potter shows what Universal can do, but I don't think that level of detail and attention to theming is representative of their approach to theme parks more generally. Epic Universe might be impressive, but I feel as disinterested in it as I would if Disney were to announce a park made up of a random assortment of IP lands... which is probably exactly what Disney would announce these days.

That's all to say that I don't think WDI's issue is they're not matching or should be trying to learn from Universal Creative. They need to go back and learn from their own history.

EPCOTCenterLover

I don't know I agree with all that. Sure, Harry Potter shows what Universal can do, but I don't think that level of detail and attention to theming is representative of their approach to theme parks more generally. Epic Universe might be impressive, but I feel as disinterested in it as I would if Disney were to announce a park made up of a random assortment of IP lands... which is probably exactly what Disney would announce these days.

That's all to say that I don't think WDI's issue is they're not matching or should be trying to learn from Universal Creative. They need to go back and learn from their own history.
After just being in Universal Orlando, I have a feeling that Epic Universe will be the best designed complete Uni park stateside to date.

The first Florida park, the Studios, is mediocre aside from Harry Potter. But Islands of Adventure is a good park with great Potter design and content and only getting better. Then came Diagon Alley back at the Studios. It is the best single IP land I've ever seen!

In order to truly compete with Disney, they need to steal one more day from them in a weeklong vacation. And I have a feeling they can do it. They'll design on par with Disney, and then they will continue to increase their market share of tourist's days. I'm saying this as an old school classic Imagineering fan who didn't want to believe Uni / Uni Creative could compete. But they can.

UNCgolf

After just being in Universal Orlando, I have a feeling that Epic Universe will be the best designed complete Uni park stateside to date.

The first Florida park, the Studios, is mediocre aside from Harry Potter. But Islands of Adventure is a good park with great Potter design and content and only getting better. Then came Diagon Alley back at the Studios. It is the best single IP land I've ever seen!

In order to truly compete with Disney, they need to steal one more day from them in a weeklong vacation. And I have a feeling they can do it. They'll design on par with Disney, and then they will continue to increase their market share of tourist's days. I'm saying this as an old school classic Imagineering fan who didn't want to believe Uni / Uni Creative could compete. But they can.

Maybe.

Diagon Alley is absolutely phenomenal and definitely the best IP land I've seen as well -- Hogsmeade is pretty good, but nowhere near as impressive overall (and ended up wasting Hogwarts in a pretty short-sighted way). Those areas are straight out of a huge franchise with a limited number of settings that are ingrained in pop culture, though. I'm certainly not suggesting it was easy to do, but it was more of a direct recreation than most theme park areas.

It'll be interesting to see what they do for lands that aren't so ingrained in pop culture/don't already exist in a live action medium.

bcoachable

Maybe.

Diagon Alley is absolutely phenomenal and definitely the best IP land I've seen as well -- Hogsmeade is pretty good, but nowhere near as impressive overall (and ended up wasting Hogwarts in a pretty short-sighted way). Those areas are straight out of a huge franchise with a limited number of settings that are ingrained in pop culture, though. I'm certainly not suggesting it was easy to do, but it was more of a direct recreation than most theme park areas.

It'll be interesting to see what they do for lands that aren't so ingrained in pop culture/don't already exist in a live action medium.
I see Uni understanding the Orlando theme park game better than ever, and because of that, making sure Epic Universe is a grand slam.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom