Original Epcot Center Model

montyz81

Original Poster
I must warn you... Being an Epcot Center Junkie gets heartbreaking after a while.
Well I have been going to Epcot since March of 1983. I am fully aware of the disappointment. What I am really becoming a junkie on is the original hence "Epcot Center" and not "Epcot". I am really learning more about what I missed as a child inside the park and loving the commitment to quality that I had a chance to experience some 30 years ago.

The Empress Lilly

Well I have been going to Epcot since March of 1983. I am fully aware of the disappointment. What I am really becoming a junkie on is the original hence "Epcot Center" and not "Epcot".
EPCOT. All capitals. We EPCOT foamers foam about that sort of stuff. :cautious:

Welcome to the cranky old men club.

The Empress Lilly

Just to make all old skool EPCOT fans feel old, here's classic EPCOT for you.

Half-naked Black people performing jungle dances for an all-White audience. It's...'different'.

11bheol.jpg

It was a different world back then. If you long back for old EPCOT, you must realise it was a different time. A different audience, with different expectations. A bygone era. (But did the changes create a change in audience, or did the changed audience force a change in the park?)

I love the unobstructed view of the lagoon from the American Garden Theater.
What strikes me is that the Disney public was old, white, well dressed, middle class. No tattoo in sight, no sirree!

montyz81

Original Poster
OK so this is how I understood it:
EPCOT = Walt's Original Plans
Epcot Cernter = 1982 -1995
Epcot =1995 - Present

I should have know better that 1982 -1994 was EPCOT Center. I really am not a EPCOT Center greenhorn!

lazyboy97o

Epcot =1995 - Present

I should have know better that 1982 -1994 was EPCOT Center. I really am not a EPCOT Center greenhorn!

There was also EPCOT '94 and EPCOT '95.

The Empress Lilly

Epcot =1995 - Present

Yes, that's just about right. I think the change to lower case happened in 1994. In the seventies, a fluid time for EPCOT, the park went through several name changes too. At one point referred to as EPCOT Theme Center, to indicate that they were planning not the center of a brick and mortar city, but a place that adressed EPCOT's themes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom