original Disney World attractions

rccola18

Original Poster
hi. i'm a new poster but a regular reader of WDWMAGIC forum. with the new EE attraction opening up soon it made me think of the original attractions that were built in Disney World. i know Disneyland was first but since i live on the East coast i'm prejudiced. i know that the train was built and that was a hit. was Pirates one of the first? i tried looking it up on Yahoo! but it was difficult. Thanks alot!

You are right about Pirates of the Caribbean being one of the original attractions at the Magic Kingdom. Also, the Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain, Peter Pan's Flight, Small World, Mad Tea Party, Cinderella's Golden Carousel, Space Mountain, The Enchanted Tiki Room (Under New Management), and I believe that the Wedway People Mover (now called the Tomorrowland Transit Authority) was an original. Hope this helps!!

"Let's not lose sight of the fact that it was all started by a mouse."-Walt Disney

RonAnnArbor

Actually, almost none of the attractons listed above were at WDW on opening day in 1971. These were the original Magic Kingdom attractions: The castle, Peter Pan's flight; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea; Jungle Cruise; Swiss Family Treehouse; Sunshine Pavilion (Tropical Serenade); Cinderella’s Golden Carrousel; Dumbo, the Flying Elephant; Mad Tea Party; Mickey Mouse Revue; Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride; It’s a Small World; Snow White’s Adventures; Diamond Horseshoe Revue; Frontier Shooting Gallery; Country Bear Jamboree; Steamboat; Mike Fink Keel Boats; Hall of Presidents; Haunted Mansion; Main Street horseless carriage, Jitney, fire truck, horse-drawn streetcar and omnibus; Main Street Cinema; Walt Disney World Railroad; Skyway and Tomorrowland Indy Speedway

For the record, the following attractions were added:
1972: If You Had Wings
1973: Pirates of the Caribbean; Walt Disney Story; Swan Boats; Tom Sawyer Island
1974: StarJets; “Magic Carpet ‘Round the World” film
1975: Space Mountain; Carousel of Progress; WEDway PeopleMover; Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes
1980: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
1992: Splash Mountain

hayzer11

Energy, you make the world go round!
RonAnnArbor said:
Actually, almost none of the attractons listed above were at WDW on opening day in 1971. These were the original Magic Kingdom attractions: The castle, Peter Pan's flight; 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea; Jungle Cruise; Swiss Family Treehouse; Sunshine Pavilion (Tropical Serenade); Cinderella’s Golden Carrousel; Dumbo, the Flying Elephant; Mad Tea Party; Mickey Mouse Revue; Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride; It’s a Small World; Snow White’s Adventures; Diamond Horseshoe Revue; Frontier Shooting Gallery; Country Bear Jamboree; Steamboat; Mike Fink Keel Boats; Hall of Presidents; Haunted Mansion; Main Street horseless carriage, Jitney, fire truck, horse-drawn streetcar and omnibus; Main Street Cinema; Walt Disney World Railroad; Skyway and Tomorrowland Indy Speedway

For the record, the following attractions were added:
1972: If You Had Wings
1973: Pirates of the Caribbean; Walt Disney Story; Swan Boats; Tom Sawyer Island
1974: StarJets; “Magic Carpet ‘Round the World” film
1975: Space Mountain; Carousel of Progress; WEDway PeopleMover; Davy Crockett’s Explorer Canoes
1980: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
1992: Splash Mountain

where did big thunder open first, im drawing a blank?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep. It had the distinction of being under construction in both DLC & WDW at the same time. WDW opened 14 months after DLC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom