Opinions on Sea World?

jilliansmom

Original Poster
We are getting ready to go to Disney. We have tix for Sea World. Which I wasn't too happy with SO choosing, well because I simply am not interested in dolphins, whales or any kind of fish.
Unfortunately I am not looking forward to the day there.

Can anyone give me some interesting facts about this place?

I have read alot online... but its all dolphins, etc...

Ausdaddy

We are getting ready to go to Disney. We have tix for Sea World. Which I wasn't too happy with SO choosing, well because I simply am not interested in dolphins, whales or any kind of fish.
Unfortunately I am not looking forward to the day there.

Can anyone give me some interesting facts about this place?

I have read alot online... but its all dolphins, etc...

There's a SeaWorld forum on this board that you could search for information. They have some rides and attractions that you might find interesting.

marsrunner

Dolphins and whales aren't fish, they are mammals.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

There is a roller coaster called Kraken and a boat ride called Journey to Atlantis. I think Manta is opening May 22, which is a flying coaster and looks nice.

If you aren't interested in a couple of thrill rides or sea life shows, then yeah you might be bored. I've not been in years and years for that very reason. I'm not crazy about watching trained animals perform tricks; I'd much rather see them in the wild...from the safety of a boat of course!

klineski96

My wife and I go to Sea World on average once or twice a year. We have always enjoyed the place and found it takes most of a day. We especially like the penguins, the shark exhibit, and the seal/sea lion area (Pacific Point Preserve or something like that).

The Krakken is alot of fun as is the Atlantis ride.

The Shamu show is decent, the dolphin show is actually very good, and the sea lion show is cheesy but entertaining.

If you love cats and dogs, please go see Pets Ahoy! We saw it for the first time a few months ago and absolutely loved it! Sure it's silly and probably directed towards kids, but it was fun to see what the animals can do. Of course it didn't hurt that we both have had dogs and we love our cat.

It is also very well maintained, lots of beautiful grounds and flowers.

Go to Sea World with an open mind and you'll enjoy your day.

KristieLC

Will you have kids with you, or is it just you and your SO? Last time I was there was nearly 9 years ago. It was an OK day, but I was never in a rush to get back. It was just my husband and I then. To be honest, my most vivid memory of Sea Word was the beer school! That was fun. It was incredibly crowded the day we went too, so it is possible that we didn't see all there is to see. Now that I have a child, I might find it to be more fun. Before we went to Disney this past winter, my son would always see the Sea World commercials on TV and ask if we could go. Well, we went to Niagara Falls last Spring and took him to Marine Land instead and he had a great time - we all did. It also pacified my son to the point where we didn't have to plan a day at Sea World and could spend all of our time at Disney. I am not sure what we would have done if we didn't go there in the Spring, but it is hard to imagine having the time to fit it in.

Helena123

I really depends on what you like, of course.
Me and my family always really enjoy seaworld (we went there 5 times in one trip :lol:) but that could be because i absolutely love whales and dolphins.
I always find it a very relaxing place, i never feel rushed and the whole atmosphere great.
I think it all depends on when you go, if you manage to go when its not too busy then you'll probably have a good day, even if you dont like whales or dolphins, but you might find if your not keen on the shows you'll find it hard to make a full day of it. But i would deffinately recomend the shows. The Shamu Show is good, im not too keen on the dolphin show but many people like it and the sealion show is good lighthearted fun.
Hope you have a good time :)

jilliansmom

Original Poster
Thanks everyone

First.. yes I know that dolphins are NOT fish... Thanks!

Ok, I just wanted some general opinions. Here in Chicago, at our zoo we have a dolphin show. It's nice and all... anyway... I am bringing my children. they probably will get a kick out of it.

Thanks

DisneyPrincess5

:wave:
I personally haven't been there in about 15 years, but I am close with a family with two young children and they ADORED SeaWorld. The kids also adore animals...guess it depends, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

I'll admit, we went to Universal last time and it made me feel like I betrayed Disney! I don't know if I can handle it again with SeaWorld!

SWatsi

SeaWorld is fun. I don't see the problem so long as you have enough days in your trip, and you have the capability to get from one property to another

goodtimes5286

The new coaster looks SICK (it has a front flip!), and the kraken is ok, journey to atlantic is fun too, and I remember this ride like artic adventure or something that I really liked (like body wars/star tours). Besides that, since i hate animals i didnt like it, didnt see any of the shows, ect. Same reason I haven't been since I was in middle school....

T-1MILLION

Sea World is a lot more fun than it used to be in my opinion. Some of the shows can come off artsy but sure seem better than your typical dolphin or other marine life shows at most Zoos or Aquariums.

Kraken is a great thrill coaster.

Journey to Atlantis has a great theme to it and when everything is working is a lot of fun. A great water coaster ending as well.

Blue Horizons is artsy but an impressive mix of talent from both animals and human performers.

Believe is a show not to be missed in my honest opinion. The first Shamu show I have actually felt was more enjoyable than a lot of the other previous ones.

Hope this helped and I hope no matter what you have a great time!
Penguin Encounter is always fun to see what they are up to.

Shark Encounter as well. Even though I preferred Terrors of the Deep. Nothing terribly different.

Clyde and Seymour take pirate Island has its laugh out loud moments. But you MUST MUST get there early for the best experience there. The Mime is actually a real riot with people coming in few min prior to show.

Wild Artic. Cheesy motion Simulator with the same set up as Star Tours with the flight Sim cabins but the 'Post Show' experience is what really makes it shine. It is cold and some very cool theming and detail there of being in the artic.

Pet's Ahoy is my favorite Domestic Animal Talent Show. Great set and great acts. You can tell the trainers really care.

They just changed Oddysea there but it should the same concept overall. An indoor Cirque acrobatic type show with trippy sets and costumes.

Those are the highlights I can think of. Also a lot of smaller kid based attractions in Shamu's Happy Harbor. Such as a kiddie coaster being the highlight for most children.

Sea World is not my favorite park but has certainly come a long way for me. The park is very nice as others have noted.

And when Manta opens..I can't wait to see that exhibit/queue, area and the Ray wing splash effect.

They're doing tests on manta now getting everything ready for May, if you go to the park there's a good chance that you'll get to see it being tested....it's REALLY quiet and runs VERY smoothly.....

dsnyfreak

sea world is one of those parks that only takes about half a day to see everything plus the shows. then the other half to get around it is very large considering there not much there to see if u are a big thrillseeker.but its fun for the kids esp, when they can feed the rays and dolphins. last year we went and the dolphins in the underwater park of the exhibit were mating!!!!!! :hurl::eek:interesting!!!

Susan Savia

In all the years we've come to Florida for Disney World we have never been to Sea World, but from reading comments, it sounds like it might be fun for a day......:)

mcjaco

First.. yes I know that dolphins are NOT fish... Thanks!

Ok, I just wanted some general opinions. Here in Chicago, at our zoo we have a dolphin show. It's nice and all... anyway... I am bringing my children. they probably will get a kick out of it.

Thanks

You can't compare the dolphin show at Brookfield to Sea World. Sea World is a class act theme park that really knows how to put on shows. Kraken, and Journey to Atlantis are top notch attractions, and if your going after May 22, Manta looks to be a great addition.

All the Sea World parks, and their Busch Gardens counterparts, are some of the most best kept and beautiful parks in the country.

Try it. You might find you really like it.

gettingsmaller

We went to Sea World in San Antonio (Texas) a few years ago. It has a water park AND the "regular" park (rides, shows). When you put both together, it was easy to spend two days there. We tried to see all the shows, which are scheduled to make that very difficult to do in one day--and there were a number of rides that we skipped completely.

Our family found it very enjoyable. I DO like animals and the tricks they have them perform... I don't know... I am NOT a big fan of circus animals (feel sorry for them living in that environ), but I guess I feel like the SW animals are well-cared for...

The grounds were well-kept and nicely themed. For us, it was like a Disney-away-from-Disney (of course, if you could see Six Flags over Texas, you'd understand that better).

CAPTAIN HOOK

SeaWorld is NOT a zoo - it is a great place to spend a day, to interact with the mammals, fish, birds and other wildlife. It has an educational background as well as the theme park frontage.
Primarily, SeaWorld is a money raiser for the educational and welfare work which the staff do behind the scenes - ie the rescue, nursing and returning of injured Manatees (as well as others) back to the wild.

Go with an open mind and you will enjoy it

sillykid

OP-If you are still checking your thread, I must say that yes Brookfield Zoo has a dolphin show, as well as the Shedd Aquarium. But, let me say the 15 min show you are used to is nothing compared to this. First off the grounds are great. There is space, and there is relaxation. Something I sometimes forget to do at Disney, yes I know Disney has that. Second, there are interactions...dolphins, sea lions, stingrays, and more that just seem unreal. I dare you to purchase the stinky fish and feed a dolphin or sea lion and tell me your heart just doesn't melt. Lastly, you already got the ticket, your on vacation so suck it up and enjoy.
p.s. when you feed the dolphins and they smile, with thier mouths open, yeah that's the best part. Love Kracken, like Atlantis, Love the Seymor show, Shamu is great, and the dolphin show is better then average, but that smile. And that sea lion 's yelp.
Have a great day!:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom