Opening The Magic Kingdom

disneyrocks27

Original Poster
Hi

How can your family be picked to open The Magic Kingdom?

Do they just pick a random family or can you reserve a day at guest relations? just curious as my family would love to open the park

RMichael21

Hi

Do they just pick a random family or can you reserve a day at guest relations? just curious as my family would love to open the park
You can't reserve a time and it's very rare that you would get picked. Think about it, out of the thousands of families that are there that day, the odds are that a different family will get picked. And honestly, I'm not even sure they do this anymore. Could someone confirm this?

tigger1968

We were picked to be Grand Marshals in the 3:00 Parade several years ago, and I assure you the process for that was totally random, and I was told by our "handler" while we waited for the parade to start that the park opening is random too. No, details of how it happened are not forthcoming... We were also told that yes, tons of people try to pay their way into both, among other attempts to game the system as it were. This was about eight years ago, so things may have changed. I know enough now from going through it that I could possibly make it happen again, but I don't want to ruin the magic. That was seriously one of the coolest days of my life, and certainly my best WDW trip ever. :D

muffinhands

We got picked 3 years ago. I actually guaranteed it to my family and it happened. Here's how we did it. Got everyone up at 6 am on a non EMH day. We were at the park by 730 when it opened at 9. We all had our disney shirts on and we each had our own unique ears. Now we don't need to fake our excitement for being at the most magical place on earth but it doesn't hurt to "plus it" to put on a good show and talk to every cm you see. I was holding my daughter and we were talking about the castle suite near a cm and we told her how excited we were to be "home" she the started talking to my wife and the next thing I knew we were being led behind the rope to the fire truck waiting to take us on a private tour of an almost empty MK. We still give Edgar (driver) a hug every time we see him and we always seek out Gene to take our pictures. Sorry rambling. :) just be early, dress the part, be super excited and super big smiles. Good luck

yellowb

I think it is almost impossible to get there early enough to be chosen unless you drive and park, or you are at one of the monorail resorts. I don't believe that the buses get you there early enough to ever be selected.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I think it is almost impossible to get there early enough to be chosen unless you drive and park, or you are at one of the monorail resorts. I don't believe that the buses get you there early enough to ever be selected.

In June we had a 7 am reservation for Chef Mickey's, and we to the bus from the Pop to the Magic Kingdom. We got to the Magic Kingdom at 6:30am. We walked over to the Magic Kingdom entrance because we had time and wanted to see the area without anyone. It was cool, there were cast members there but they were still power washing the pavement. So it is a possibility to get to the MK before any other guests and not have your own car or be a guest of a monorail resort.

LucyK

Last year we were the first family to arrive at MK. There was no one but us on the bus from POFQ to MK and we got there around 7AM and we had on Disney t-shirts, talked to every CM on site. Sadly they don't see to favor kid-less families and they picked another family with a kid wearing a tutu.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Last year we were the first family to arrive at MK. There was no one but us on the bus from POFQ to MK and we got there around 7AM and we had on Disney t-shirts, talked to every CM on site. Sadly they don't see to favor kid-less families and they picked another family with a kid wearing a tutu.

They never pick people without kids for these things. It is kind of irritating.

wogwog

Hi

Absolutely random. Kids required to be in party to open MK, and ages 6 to 12 kids even better. Grand Marshall for FoF and Veteran of the Day also completely random. Current information from high level MK acquaintances.

We have been picked to open magic kingdom and Epcot before and both times we were picked were both randomly. However both times we were outside the park about an hour before the park opened. Also I don't know if this has anything to do with it but both me and brother where talking to a casts member at the turnstiles the whole time. Hope this helps.

DisneyDaver

We (1) don't have kids yet, (2) love Disney, and (3) would love to be the first be chosen to open MK, but I absolutely think families with kids should get preference over us for stuff like this. It's like players at baseball games handing game balls to kids over adults. It would be a very cool experience for an adult, but would mean even more to kids.

psukardi

Of course they didn't. If you go to Disney without children you're not their priority. It's why kids can scream & act a fool in restaurants with zero blow-back. It's also why the Magic Kingdom has turned into the daycare that it has become. What's the bigger money maker - some mediocre Cosplay or a brand new exciting ride. Well, when little kids don't care about the new shiny coaster you can easily find a middle-aged woman to dress as Anna or Elsa

tigger1968

I can't speak to being picked for the opening ceremony, but families without kids do get picked for the Grand Marshals for the afternoon parade, or did. When we were picked it was just my wife and I, and they also picked a family with kids as well. We rode in a chauffeur driven model A Ford and they were behind us in a horse drawn stage coach. I do need to point out that this was several years ago so things may have changed, but that was our experience.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
My wife and I have both done the Veteran of the Day (we are both retired Air Force) once with her carrying the flag, and once when I got to carry the flag down Main St. This was on two different trips over two years. We simply went to City Hall first thing in the morning at rope drop, and volunteered. This was just a few years ago, so I do not know if the selection process has changed. It was an awesome experience for both of us!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I can't speak to being picked for the opening ceremony, but families without kids do get picked for the Grand Marshals for the afternoon parade, or did. When we were picked it was just my wife and I, and they also picked a family with kids as well. We rode in a chauffeur driven model A Ford and they were behind us in a horse drawn stage coach. I do need to point out that this was several years ago so things may have changed, but that was our experience.

Maybe they do pick people without kids for some things. I just have never seen it happen for the MK Welcome Show.

wogwog

My wife and I have both done the Veteran of the Day (we are both retired Air Force) once with her carrying the flag, and once when I got to carry the flag down Main St. This was on two different trips over two years. We simply went to City Hall first thing in the morning at rope drop, and volunteered. This was just a few years ago, so I do not know if the selection process has changed. It was an awesome experience for both of us!
It has changed. Random. A cast member is sent out to walk around Main St and strike up conversations with folks and work in a conversation about the military.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom