Open Brainstorming: Dark ride to replace MK Snow White

FigmentJedi

Original Poster
With Snow White making way for a Princess Expansion, I'm sure we're all thinking of what a better dark-ride solution for the space would be. I've got a Hunchback of Notre Dame concept myself that I'll probably be elaborating on, but let's hear some other ideas for it.

jmick71

if disney wanted to make another dark ride they would make it on something more modern or well known. i am thinking too modern but the settings of princess and the frog would be real cool to see in a dark ride. same with tangled, it fits theme of FL
and they would want a modern spin on the dark ride as well

cheezbat

There are only three properties I would want to see placed in that area. Aladdin, The Princess and the Frog, or Alice In Wonderland.

Aladdin is just way too cool not to be built into a dark ride at some point and time.

Ooh...or maybe HERCULES!

Gosh...so many movies that would make into awesome dark rides. Aladdin, The Princess and the Frog, the Black Cauldron, Hercules, Mulan, Tangled, Beauty and the Beast, Jungle Book...man oh man!

FigmentJedi

Original Poster
I went with Hunchback of Notre Dame as it fits the "ecological niche" Snow White had as the "Child Frightener". Would begin with Clopin telling the story and Quasimodo sneaking into the Festival of Fools. Frollo's humiliation at the Festival and Esmerelda's escape leads into Hellfire, while Quasimodo and Phoebus search for the Court of Miracles to warn them of Frollo's attack. Climax of the ride would be a bit of the city on fire and the battle inside Notre Dame with Frollo's "And he shall smite the wicked and plunge them into the fiery pit" being the Witch boulder scene, with his death leading into a happy ending room like the current Snow White ride.

ScorpionX

I went with Hunchback of Notre Dame as it fits the "ecological niche" Snow White had as the "Child Frightener". Would begin with Clopin telling the story and Quasimodo sneaking into the Festival of Fools. Frollo's humiliation at the Festival and Esmerelda's escape leads into Hellfire, while Quasimodo and Phoebus search for the Court of Miracles to warn them of Frollo's attack. Climax of the ride would be a bit of the city on fire and the battle inside Notre Dame with Frollo's "And he shall smite the wicked and plunge them into the fiery pit" being the Witch boulder scene, with his death leading into a happy ending room like the current Snow White ride.
What would be the name of the ride?

comics101

That works really, really well. Especially with the current Snow White layout. I really like this idea!

FigmentJedi

Original Poster
That works really, really well. Especially with the current Snow White layout. I really like this idea!

Plus the Festival of Fools as a starting point allows the queue and entrance to work with the established tent facades of Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland.

MansionGoer13z

Interesting. I like it. But... does the Hunchback of Notre Dame have any relavance in this modern Disney Era. I may be wrong but I don't think its that popular of a movie to have its own ride. Maybe Aladdin, the Lion King, or even a revamped Alice and Wonderland Ride. Who knows...But I could go for a Mr. Toad comeback.

I like the hunchback idea, or bringing Pinnocio from DL into it. Aladdin or hercules would make a great ride too. Or something kinda retro with mickey, donald, goofy, and those characters.

imagineer boy

The only problem with Aladdin is that the Arabian theme would clash with the European theme of the rest of the land.

I'm thinking a Pinoccio dark ride like at DL or maybe somthing original themed to Sleeping Beauty.

FigmentJedi

Original Poster
Interesting. I like it. But... does the Hunchback of Notre Dame have any relavance in this modern Disney Era. I may be wrong but I don't think its that popular of a movie to have its own ride. Maybe Aladdin, the Lion King, or even a revamped Alice and Wonderland Ride. Who knows...But I could go for a Mr. Toad comeback.

Aladdin doesn't fit the European Fantasy theme of the area, Lion King deserves a huge E-Ticket in Adventureland and Alice is a better fit for the Fantasyland Forest.

As for Hunchback and it's "relevance", it's definitely become a cult classic and the "Is it relevant?" way of thinking would never have gotten us Splash Mountain or Mr. Toad in the first place.

Crazy Harry

My pick is sleeping beauty for a number of reasons:

• simularities in theme to snow white
  • was originally planned for magic kingdom
  • adds to the princess theme yet has that element of action and adventure like snow white. It adds the sense of danger as snow white did which is a nice contrast to the whimsicalness of pan and pooh
  • would be really cool to have a scene of malificient as the dragon
  • well known story and timeless classic
  • rich environment and characters

My other pic would be 101 dalmations. It still has that European setting, again with rich characters and environments, and does not yet have an attraction. I desperatley want to see something NEW and neither a clone or a theme already used for a ride.

I like the other ideas presented, but this is my take on those choices:

• again, it would be nice to see something not done at another disney park, which would disqualify pinnochio and alice
  • black cauldron is not popular enough to warrant an attraction. Toad is more popular and I beleive he was removed partly due to not being a widely popular property.
  • Lion King, Alladin, Princess and the Frog, Jungle Book, Mulan, and Hercules, although they would make great attractions, do not thematically fit with the area.
  • I have never seen Hunchback, so the fact that it is not my first choice is irrelevant because it is based on preconcieved notions. I could not previously have imagined this being a good choice, but Tahu's description has me wondering if I was wrong...
  • I like the idea of Tangled, but for some reason I think it would be better in a different location, say over where the old skyway station is. I can just imagine the tower on the hill, but I know this is unlikely because they need bathrooms somewhere...

Crazy Harry

Aladdin doesn't fit the European Fantasy theme of the area, Lion King deserves a huge E-Ticket in Adventureland and Alice is a better fit for the Fantasyland Forest.

As for Hunchback and it's "relevance", it's definitely become a cult classic and the "Is it relevant?" way of thinking would never have gotten us Splash Mountain or Mr. Toad in the first place.

But unfortunetly this is how the powers that be currently think. That is why rides these days are mostly contingent on the popularity of a property and not whether it would make a good ride or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom