Trip Report Oops I forgot to trip report!! (October 2016)

Hey everyone! It’s been a couple months since @ValVal and I got back from our Disney trip and I have yet to post anything about it. I was very excited to write a TR but things got a little crazy at the end of the year and I live for procrastination. Val keeps reminding me so finally I’m here… better late than never.

Two years ago, Val and I had gathered up three of our other best friends from college for an awesome reunion trip (See that trip report here). Getting all 5 of us together again wasn't really an option but I’ve been bugging Val to come back to WDW ever since (and visiting her in California for trips to Disneyland in between). We're a couple of former college roommates who fuel each other’s Disney obsession. Here we are in DCA in June (a hint to our MNSSHP costumes):

wdw2016162484741943_385681186589_dsnyRes-base_dsnyLoc-reg.jpeg

And here’s an overview of the fun times we had-- Our trip covered October 18-26 (part of the weekend we spent away from Orlando). Part 1 was at All-Star Sports and we stayed at Art of Animation for Part 2. We drank around the world, cast spells at Universal, trick-or-treated at MNSSHP, experienced strange bug attacks, and had a great little reunion. Hope you’ll join me on this adventure of writing a belated trip report! Enjoy!

Day 1 (Oct 18) started off with me not leaving work early enough and trying to race to Orlando to pick up Val, who had just flown across the country.

IMG_6170.jpg

It took a while for her baggage to come out so that bought me some time. Soon enough we were reunited and heading to Universal. Val had gotten a ticket that gave her a free extra day and I have an annual pass, so we planned on visiting for just a couple of hours before the parks closed. Here we go!

IMG_5897.jpg

IMG_6171[1].jpg

We went straight to Islands of Adventure, which was the park that stayed open later (although it was only open until 7 so we had just 1.5 hours of park time). Our first stop was Suess-land. We barely spent any time there during our Universal day 2 years ago and Val was really excited to check it out more.

IMG_5902.jpg

Our first ride was the super-creepy Cat in the Hat dark ride.

IMG_5906.jpg
IMG_5907.jpg

Like really-- look how creepy the "Things" are. Strange.
IMG_6179.jpg

Next we went to the Peoplemover-esque high in the sky trolley train. There were nice sunset views to be had.

IMG_5909.jpg
IMG_5916.jpg

Last edited:

abzoo

Original Poster
Aaaand on we went with our tour.
IMG_6283.JPG

We saw one of the birds responsible for the little footprints in the sand...
IMG_6471.JPG

And found sand with man-made markings...
IMG_6467.JPG

So cute!

IMG_6474.JPG

Nine Pound Lemon Tree!

20161020_111832[1].jpg
IMG_6481.JPG

Check out the perfect placement of this shrimp in the hidden Mickey--
IMG_6486.JPG

IMG_6488.JPG

And another hidden Mickey--
IMG_6490.JPG
IMG_6494.JPG

abzoo

Original Poster
Val fed the tilapia. It got splashy.
IMG_6497.JPG

IMG_6501.JPG

IMG_6515.JPG

Then our tour was just about over. We stopped over by the pepper Mickey and Kelli passed around things for us to smell.

IMG_6518.JPG

IMG_6513.JPG

IMG_6510.JPG

I wanted to steal one of these avocados so badly.

Asked a fellow tourmate to take our photo before we left--
IMG_6519.JPG

Then we walked back through the greenhouses and were no longer Behind the Seeds. It was a great tour and I definitely recommend checking it out. It's reasonably priced and they offer discounts as well. Also, it's a tour that changes a lot every time you go. All the guides are super knowledgeable but have one area that is a specialty-- when I went in May with my sister our tour guide was more involved with the fisheries. Some of the produce in the greenhouses rotates seasonally and also depending on the DCP interns they have working in the Land at that point. We were told that one of the interns this semester had grown up on a peanut farm so his parents sent out some of their crops and they found a place for them in the greenhouse. We learned a lot but didn't have headsets like I had when I went last May. For Val and me, who were interested in hanging back and taking photos, it probably would have been helpful to have the headsets.

So what's the appropriate next step to take after going Behind the Seeds?
You're right-- going In Front of the Seeds! Time for our Living with the Land fastpass!

IMG_6299.JPG
IMG_6536.JPG

abzoo

Original Poster
Almost done with plant photos!
IMG_6552.JPG

IMG_6551.JPG
IMG_6560.JPG

Next stop: Spaceship Earth FP+
IMG_6566.JPG
IMG_6568.JPG

Photos on the ride weren't working. Meh.
Then we stopped for this little show. Muppet Mobile Labs was super cute! There were parents that just weren't doing any parenting-- the children had been asked to clear space for the vehicle but they kept getting too close, trying to collect confetti that got spit out. Come on, watch those kids!
IMG_6305.JPG

Stopped for some photopass pics as we finally left Future World.
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7835868326.jpeg
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7835868328.jpeg

Finally we started our Food and Wine adventure with a visit to New Zealand. The lamb meatball with spicy tomato chutney is a must for me every year. Soo good!
IMG_6583.JPG
IMG_6584.JPG

abzoo

Original Poster
Sorry for disappearing again. Okaaaaaay now where were we? Still on our first Disney day? Time for some more Food & Wine? Yep. Our next stop was Mexico. Val got the barbacoa enchilada.

IMG_6587-COLLAGE.jpg

Then we decided to go for a tour, of the Gran Fiesta variety...
IMG_6307.JPG
IMG_6596.JPG

I'm not really sure why I've decided to include the next few blurry photos in this trip report except for the fact that when I was going through our pictures these reminded me more of the creepy boat ride in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Trippy af.
IMG_6601.JPG
IMG_6602.JPG

And I finally got to see the 3 caballero animatronics functioning properly!
IMG_6605.JPG

Obviously it was a beautiful day...
IMG_6608.JPG

Our next stop for F&W Fest was Africa. I got the beef tenderloin tips with onions, jalapeños, tomato and pap because I remembered liking it a few years ago. It looks kinda gross in the photos but it was good (maybe not as good as I had recalled). Val got the buttered chicken and we were very unimpressed with this one. It was pretty dry and bland and we couldn't finish it.

IMG_6611.JPG
IMG_6612.JPG

As we continued around the World Showcase, we had to stop and say hello to the tiny German townspeople also celebrating F&W.
IMG_6616.JPG

amjt660

Premium Member

I'm not really sure why I've decided to include the next few blurry photos in this trip report except for the fact that when I was going through our pictures these reminded me more of the creepy boat ride in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Trippy af.
View attachment 191819 View attachment 191820

And I finally got to see the 3 caballero animatronics functioning properly!
View attachment 191821

Obviously it was a beautiful day...
View attachment 191822
Love the Willy Wonka reference - Gene Wilder will be missed

Max

abzoo

Original Poster
Our next (very important) stop was Italy, so we could get limoncello margaritas-- we're obsessed. Val also got the baked ziti/ chicken parmigiana, which was also amaaaaazing. The chicken was cooked so well and while it seems like a sort of boring choice to get during Food & Wine, it was soo good that we didn't even care.
IMG_6622.JPG
IMG_6620.JPG
IMG_6309-COLLAGE.jpg

so good!

IMG_6618.JPG

We walked on to American Adventure and stopped to see the Voices of Liberty do their thing and then stay for the show, which Val had never seen. I think we both napped a little bit though.
IMG_6630.JPG

We made a stop at the Chase Lounge for a little bit. This sign was funny.
IMG_6311.JPG

Then we walked on towards France, passing up pavilions and F&W booths.
IMG_6642.JPG
IMG_6647.JPG
IMG_6651.JPG
IMG_6653.JPG

Last edited:

MegRuss626

Our next (very important) stop was Italy, so we could get limoncello margaritas-- we're obsessed. Val also got the baked ziti/ chicken parmigiana, which was also amaaaaazing. The chicken was cooked so well and while it seems like a sort of boring choice to get during Food & Wine, it was soo good that we didn't even care.
View attachment 192013 View attachment 192012 View attachment 192009
so good!

View attachment 192011

We walked on to American Adventure and stopped to see the Voices of Liberty do their thing and then stay for the show, which Val had never seen. I think we both napped a little bit though.
View attachment 192014
We made a stop at the Chase Lounge for a little bit. This sign was funny.
View attachment 192010
Then we walked on towards France, passing up pavilions and F&W booths.
View attachment 192015 View attachment 192016 View attachment 192017 View attachment 192018

I am equally OBSESSED with those margaritas!!!!

abzoo

Original Poster
France time!
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7836160530.jpeg

Now to talk about a true highlight of our day... Wine Walk. We're definitely fans of this experience and will surely go on another Epcot Wine Walk in the future. For $20 (tax included!) you get small wine glasses in France, Italy, and Germany. So we started in France and got our first wines, a Vouvray and a Pinot Noir. We sat and people-watched and drink our wine.

IMG_6313.JPG

IMG_6656-COLLAGE.jpg

When we finished the wine, we backtracked through the World Showcase, first to get some food from Brazil. We had eaten these same options on our last trip and needed to come back because the crispy pork belly is always great. Also featured, pao de queijo.
IMG_6670.JPG

Next, we stopped in Japan. Val got sake and we walked around the shops.
IMG_6673.JPG

IMG_6677.JPG
IMG_6679.JPG
IMG_6681.JPG

And onward we went in search of our next Wine Walk stop.
IMG_6685.JPG

Attachments

• PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7836160532.jpeg
    PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7836160532.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

abzoo

Original Poster
It was a windy day.
IMG_6694.JPG

We went to the enoteca in Italy to get our next wines. We had to wait in line for a bit-- there was a group ahead of us buying 11 shots of Limoncello.
IMG_6699-COLLAGE.jpg

Anyway, we were really pleased with the selections in Italy, especially the sparkling red (Rosa Regale). yum.
IMG_6389.PNG
20161020_172135[1].jpg

After we were done people-watching and taking photos, we went to our last stop of wine walk :(.

IMG_6718.JPG

Found a PhotoPass photographer!
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7836233611.jpeg

Ewww pickle tree.
IMG_6727.JPG

And then we went to the Weinkeller.
IMG_6729.JPG
IMG_6731.JPG

And finished our Wine Walk passports.
IMG_6734.JPG

abzoo

Original Poster
Hi. So I know I'm a failure. We've now passed a year since @ValVal and I finished this trip and I can't even finish reporting about this Epcot day :facepalm:. LET'S DO THIS THING. Our PhotoPass pictures are about to expire so now is the time for action.
IMG_6742.JPG
IMG_6741.JPG

We were really into Wine Walk, okay??!​

IMG_6364.JPG

Polka-ing​

As we continued on our journey, we searched for mini Hide-and-Squeak Remis. Our Remy Magic Shot hadn't shown up in the account yet so we decided to make our own:

IMG_6748-COLLAGE.jpg

Africa Remy​

We stopped to see acrobats in China while eating lettuce wraps from South Korea.
IMG_6752.JPG

IMG_6751.JPG

Onward to Norway!
IMG_6764.JPG
IMG_6767.JPG

IMG_6782.JPG

And then finally we completed one trip around the world... so we went for another loop.

IMG_6804.JPG

Last edited:

abzoo

Original Poster
I forgot there was a cronut.
IMG_6787.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7836348227.jpeg

We had a somewhat awkward experience in Germany when we asked the PhotoPass CM to take a photo of us and he was the same CM who took our picture in the same location earlier in the day. UM. It's dark now and you have props (German Mickey head). Totally different photo. okaaaay??

IMG_6385.JPG

Then we continued on our way to our fast pass in Norway. This was the first time I had ridden Fake Maelstrom.
IMG_6823.JPG
IMG_6373.JPG
IMG_8061.jpg

Pretty ride things. Awkward ride photo.
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_392171621338.jpeg

Glad my troll friend stuck around.
IMG_6836.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7836397147.jpeg

abzoo

Original Poster
20161020_202519[1].jpg

We started heading out of the park and stopped for more PhotoPass. This particular shoot was pretty crappy-- plus we look a bit worse for the wear.
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7836408380.jpeg

We stopped by Test Track and got in the single rider line (which ended up being much longer than anticipated). This dude in front of us inadvertently entertained us with whatever videos he was playing on his phone.

IMG_6383.JPG

Test Track ride photo-- Val's didn't end up making it to the account.
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7836433025.jpeg

Then we headed out and got on a bus back to All Star Sports. And huzzah! Our Remy Magic Shot showed up.
PhotoPass_Visiting_EPCOT_7836160532.jpeg

Up next: Val gets attacked by bugs.​

Last edited:

abzoo

Original Poster
The next day consisted of us waking up super early to pack up all our stuff and load it in the car so we could leave All Star Sports. Then we were heading to Magic Kingdom for extra magic hours. So early that it was still dark outside. We made sure to get there for the now-discontinued Welcome Show. In the dark.

IMG_8062.jpg
OGDCE2078.jpg
IMG_6390.PNG

IMG_8075.jpg

IMG_6871.JPG

After the welcome show, we made our way up Main Street slowly, stopping for a few photopass shots. While we were waiting for this one, some bug flew at Val. We couldn't figure out where it had gone so we forgot about it until a few minutes later when Val went to grab her phone from her backpack. The bee had decided to latch on to Val's phone and not let go. Bug attack #1.

IMG_8068.jpg

Out Bee-F-F

IMG_6386.JPG
IMG_6387.JPG
IMG_6388.JPG

Then we walked through the castle and Val found a squirrel friend.
IMG_6881.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom