Only one of the four WDW main parks is a "Theme Park".

HongKongFu

Original Poster
And here I always believed all 4 were. Disney set me straight. Silly me!

So what makes Animal Kingdom a theme park as compared to the other three???

Weather_Lady

None of the parks is thematically flawless, but that doesn't change their status as theme parks. What does the alien planet of Pandora have to do with animals, beyond a vague conservationist message extrapolated from its pro-environmental themes? Since when do Monsters, Inc. or Buzz Lightyear have a thing to do with our dreams and visions for "tomorrow"? Arendelle may have been inspired by Norway, but it has never been and will never be Norwegian. Hollywood Studios actually has it the easiest, because arguably any character or setting that ever appeared in a movie is fair game, but it's still a mish-mosh of disjointed IPs, from space operas to Pixar animation to puppets.

At the end of the day, they're all theme parks: imperfectly so, but theme parks just the same.

Trackmaster

Magic Kingdom - more geared towards kids and kids at heart than the other three - hence the Magic. Has a big old castle that's iconic, hence the Kingdom.

EPCOT - Based on Disney's vision of a perfect city. Front is based off of technology and innovation. Back is the world showcase. Its supposed to be the educational park of the four.

Hollywood Studios - A failed movie studio/backlot tour. After the studio didn't work out, they scrambled to make an identity for the park, and decided to make it themed to movies and stuff.

Animal Kingdom - A zoo with rides.

Yeah, it would be cool if every park had a theme that they stuck with, but I guess that's what the themed sections/lands are for.

Tom Morrow

Are you saying that you believe Animal Kingdom is the only one that qualifies as a theme park? Or pointing out that Disney brands it as "Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park"?

The reason is they added in "theme park" so people don't think its a zoo. But, having said that, Animal Kingdom is the closest to cohesive and thematic perfection of all the Orlando parks, with only Chester and Hester's being a tacky standout.

HongKongFu

Original Poster
Are you saying that you believe Animal Kingdom is the only one that qualifies as a theme park? Or pointing out that Disney brands it
"Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park"?

No, clearly all 4 are theme parks.

And yes, Disney brands AK as a theme park while not bestowing the same recognition to the other three---- laughably disingenuous.

Simple, really: if one is, then all four are.

SirWillow

I'm trying to figure out why you would think that any of them aren't theme parks.

If you want to see a park that isn't a theme park, but a true amusement park, check out Knoebel's, or most of the Cedar Fair parks (Knott's being the notable exception).

Tom Morrow

No, clearly all 4 are theme parks.

And yes, Disney brands AK as a theme park while not bestowing the same recognition to the other three---- laughably disingenuous.

Simple, really: if one is, then all four are.
Well, I'd rather have none of them have "theme park" tagged on in the branding. But I already gave the reasoning - they attach "theme park" in some of the branding to distinguish it from a zoo. The park's official name is still "Disney's Animal Kingdom" and not "Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park"

KBLovedDisney

I will say this, the Animal Kingdom is Nahtazu...
desktop-1422990294.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom