One Sentence Competition: The Prism of SYWTBAI - Game End

Architectural Guinea Pig

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
1726375547641.png

Sigh...

Time is insanity. It doesn't feel like a month has passed without me catching up with reviews. I sometimes actually don't know what I'm doing, and I'm just so confused as to why I don't have all the reviews done yet. I did have some free time over this past month to get things done, but it feels way to late and strange right now. I've written 6 reviews and it feels like each took eons to make.

Since Tony doesn't want to be involved in this thread, I want to write a few things about my experience here with hosting. I was never ready to post, but what I did try to convey in my posts was that I would be trying my best to write the reviews. I did; HalfCartoon/HalfHuman did motivate me to begin writing them. On 9/11 I didn't post because of the day, and especially that meant I didn't finish writing them too. This was never meant to be something disrespectful to those who lost their lives on that day, and as an American, I would never want to do such a thing, not including a 9/11 joke meant and accepted to be funny at times. I am sorry if this was taken as an insult to the memory of Tonyell McDay and all the people who departed onwards that day and I am truly sorry for even writing something to imply so.

OSC wasn't meant to be a serious competition, it was a casual flick where you could stop by, write a few sentences, and go. What this means is that I don't feel like this is a disrespect to anyone in the game, as there was never a notion that putting tons of effort was required. Yes, I should have invited or requested someone to help along the way, but Prisms of Light's background systems just feel like they can't be touched by anyone else. And really, there was no need to. Time may have drifted away, and I don't know how many of the participants may have felt, but I believe that the true important competitiveness could be reserved for bigger competitions like Magic Journeys. The most important part in my opinion, of OSC, is the reviews, the part where people can grow and learn together, making even better projects and pitches. And that's my focus- I could have given it to someone else or made them short, but it takes away the point of OSC. If it means choosing from an instant result or waiting for a good and lengthy review, I know what I would choose.

But that doesn't mean I haven't learned anything from this. I truly regret the amount of long pauses I had in the game, but there's no going back now- there is only forward. My weakest strength is the will to write. Sometimes, like now, I can write everything I'm thinking immediately, but at other times, I just can't. My ability and my optimism just fade away. I want to take away from this and learn and grow as a host, and maybe in the future, I can do something that the entire forum can enjoy.

Reviews are still coming on the way. I don't want to make any promises or excuses or anymore, so I can really only say that they will be coming soon. I started this, I will end it with a good note. What I have in store later on, including reviews and a final note, is equal to this amount. I am dedicated to OSC, to you all, and I will honor my commitment.

Sorry, I'm younger and winding. Not that sorry :)

AceAstro

View attachment 815686
Sigh...

Time is insanity. It doesn't feel like a month has passed without me catching up with reviews. I sometimes actually don't know what I'm doing, and I'm just so confused as to why I don't have all the reviews done yet. I did have some free time over this past month to get things done, but it feels way to late and strange right now. I've written 6 reviews and it feels like each took eons to make.

Since Tony doesn't want to be involved in this thread, I want to write a few things about my experience here with hosting. I was never ready to post, but what I did try to convey in my posts was that I would be trying my best to write the reviews. I did; HalfCartoon/HalfHuman did motivate me to begin writing them. On 9/11 I didn't post because of the day, and especially that meant I didn't finish writing them too. This was never meant to be something disrespectful to those who lost their lives on that day, and as an American, I would never want to do such a thing, not including a 9/11 joke meant and accepted to be funny at times. I am sorry if this was taken as an insult to the memory of Tonyell McDay and all the people who departed onwards that day and I am truly sorry for even writing something to imply so.

OSC wasn't meant to be a serious competition, it was a casual flick where you could stop by, write a few sentences, and go. What this means is that I don't feel like this is a disrespect to anyone in the game, as there was never a notion that putting tons of effort was required. Yes, I should have invited or requested someone to help along the way, but Prisms of Light's background systems just feel like they can't be touched by anyone else. And really, there was no need to. Time may have drifted away, and I don't know how many of the participants may have felt, but I believe that the true important competitiveness could be reserved for bigger competitions like Magic Journeys. The most important part in my opinion, of OSC, is the reviews, the part where people can grow and learn together, making even better projects and pitches. And that's my focus- I could have given it to someone else or made them short, but it takes away the point of OSC. If it means choosing from an instant result or waiting for a good and lengthy review, I know what I would choose.

But that doesn't mean I haven't learned anything from this. I truly regret the amount of long pauses I had in the game, but there's no going back now- there is only forward. My weakest strength is the will to write. Sometimes, like now, I can write everything I'm thinking immediately, but at other times, I just can't. My ability and my optimism just fade away. I want to take away from this and learn and grow as a host, and maybe in the future, I can do something that the entire forum can enjoy.

Reviews are still coming on the way. I don't want to make any promises or excuses or anymore, so I can really only say that they will be coming soon. I started this, I will end it with a good note. What I have in store later on, including reviews and a final note, is equal to this amount. I am dedicated to OSC, to you all, and I will honor my commitment.

To me, the point of OSC has always more been a casual low-stakes fun competition that goes on at the same time as the major serious competition as a way for players to try out different ideas/ styles, or for players like @Tony the Tigger, who don't play in the major competitions due to time commitment's, interest, etc. to still have fun in a competition setting instead of just open brainstorming/ personal projects. While it isn't a serious competition, OSC allows players to come by once a week, write a sentence or three, then keep going instead of being on a team with 15 pages of brainstorming each week for 4 months. The goal is typically to have OSC and another major competition go hand in hand instead of one being seen as an after thought to put aside when players feel like it.

That being said, OSC is typically hosted by newer players because it is low stakes. It's a great way to learn the ropes of hosting and appreciate the amount of work that goes into hosting without having it be a major competition with teams, brainstorming, etc. It allows newer players to learn a lot in a short-ish time to know if they want to host a future major competition, the things that they have to take into consideration.

Nonetheless, like you said, we move forward from this learning and taking everything into consideration in future competitions! I know I am very excited to see the rest of the reviews, and what comes next for OSC and AGP hosting future comps!

Last edited:
View attachment 815686
Sigh...

Read through all of that. I’m truly sorry for what you have to go through while writing the reviews. I know they take a while and having to pump out multiple within a certain timeframe can be infuriating. Nobody likes to be rushed. Also, no need to apologize. We all make slip-ups every once in a while and we can take them as learning experiences. I can’t wait to see what comes with the reviews @Architectural Guinea Pig , I have a feeling they’ll be great! Take your time!

Architectural Guinea Pig

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Hey, is there going to be another one of these, or another low-stakes, small scale competition soon? Not sure if I’ll have the time to participate in What If?, so I’d love an outlet to keep working the Imagineering muscles.
To keep it going let me just say I'm pretty sure @Disney Dad 3000 won the competition. Usually, hosts are previous winners or random ah guinea pigs pulled off the street who are subjected to the terrors of giving up, so if Dad or @NateD1226 (who brought up an idea for a short-form competition) have time, they'll continue the legacy...

Edit 10/7: The next OSC is on the way! This game should have ended in July, but with things and everything, I'll call an indefinite pause. If I have time, I'll release a real Behind the Scenes with unreleased reviews, prompts, and more. It stems from my OSC doc, which is longer than 70 pages.

Thank you to Disney Dad for lifting up the spark in our community! Please note that OSCs aren't normally run like this, so I strongly encourage everyone to participate.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom