One kitten or two?

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
My cat recently and extremely suddenly died.
She was only 6yrs3mos and just ran up stairs and collapsed and was dead within 90 seconds.
Have no idea what happened but apparently when it happens out of nowhere like that it was likely an undetected heart condition that a routine vet visit wouldn't have found.
I thought I had a good 4-6 more years with her.
Right now its difficult to not have a pet but I also don't want to jump the gun because I will just compare a new edition to her. Instead I'm going to take a bit of time to grieve and fee like I can move on with an open mind.

I figure I'll wait until late April/early May when I know it will be kitten adoption season in the shelters.

This brings me to my question... one or two kittens? (siblings of course and I only want girls)

My friend who has 3 cats all introduced at different times is pushing me to consider 2.
I just don't know if its right for me.
I start thinking it may be twice as much work, twice as much stress, and will obviously twice the vet costs.
I also worry that maybe they will like each other more than me and I am someone that wants my cat to be a companion not just a pet that I occasionally get to give love and attention to when they need something that the other cannot provide like fresh food etc.
And what if one dies before the other? I feel like it would break the one's heart.

That said I did have 2 cats once.
The one adopted my family when I was like 8 and then I adopted a kitten when I was 14.
The older one hissed at the younger one daily for 7 years but they never really got into fights. The older one "tolerated" the younger.
They both got my attention in different ways and I felt like I equally loved them and they equally loved me.

I'm just trying to figure out which is the better choice.
Has anyone had experience getting two kittens at the same time and was it easy or difficult and did they both get along with each other and you?
Or anyone that thinks one kitten is a better choice and then at some point once that kitten is grown and established introduce another kitten? (Or not)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They’re expensive…but I highly recommend ragdoll cats. A pair works well.

We got one two years ago…I’m not a cat person…and he’s the cutest little stinker ever. They’re hard to believe. Nearly as much affection as a dog but without all the annoyance and dirty habits.

and I know it’s wrong to not go to a shelter…that was a big sticking point about this one…but he’s changed my mind.

Sorry about Figaro/Marie…good luck.

Yellow Shoes

From what I've read and seen, if you adopt a bonded pair it will be fine. Most shelters will ID them as such and insist they go together.
My dad lives in the country where animals are too often dumped. He has 7 cats, including 3 bonded pairs. Each pair is male/female, and I have read that that is the better combo. He has 2 sisters that fight all the time--not merely hissing, but claws out and ears back. He also had a mother/daughter that could not be left together.
He also has another stray that cannot tolerate any other cat.
My advice is that if your pair is not bonded when you get it, to get a male and a female. Apparently female cats are jealous creatures.

StarWarsGirl

First, so sorry for your loss. That must be so difficult; I can't even imagine.

Second, and I can't stress this enough, I highly recommend that you get two. I had my older one by herself for the first eight years that I had her. She's got an extreme attachment to me as a result. I finally had to get a second cat because she stopped eating one weekend when I went away. So I went and got an eight week old kitten when my older cat was nine years old. They do so much better together. They don't cuddle up to sleep or anything, but my older one no longer wails at me when I get home from vacation and she won't starve herself if I go away. The younger one will seek out the older one for comfort. A lot of times, I'll find them near each other, like sleeping on adjacent chairs.

Don't get me wrong, I love my younger cat, but I wish we'd gotten the second cat when my older one was younger. It probably would have saved us all some stress.

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
@Queen of the WDW Scene Here's an article about why you should always get two kittens. It's by Kitten Lady...she fosters kittens and is basically a kitten expert.

Thanks. The article was helpful in understanding how it actually may be less work and less stressful to have 2 kittens.
Although the really big question it did not touch on is... what happens if one dies before the other which is quite likely.
And the whole cost thing is still a factor.
I feel even more torn about what to do now lol.

StarWarsGirl

Thanks. The article was helpful in understanding how it actually may be less work and less stressful to have 2 kittens.
Although the really big question it did not touch on is... what happens if one dies before the other which is quite likely.
And the whole cost thing is still a factor.
I feel even more torn about what to do now lol.
Well, what happened with your cat is not normal (unfortunately). Most cats live 10+ years; my older one is 14. I think if that does happen you wait a while and then introduce another cat who would be a good fit.

I was very specific in choosing my younger cat. My older cat is extremely playful for as old as she is, and she's black and white. So I got another female, all black kitten that basically was like her baby. She was nine when I introduced the younger one. It all worked out. I know when my older one passes, which I'm dreading because that's my baby, I'm going to have to basically do the same thing with the younger cat.

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Well, what happened with your cat is not normal (unfortunately). Most cats live 10+ years; my older one is 14. I think if that does happen you wait a while and then introduce another cat who would be a good fit.

I was very specific in choosing my younger cat. My older cat is extremely playful for as old as she is, and she's black and white. So I got another female, all black kitten that basically was like her baby. She was nine when I introduced the younger one. It all worked out. I know when my older one passes, which I'm dreading because that's my baby, I'm going to have to basically do the same thing with the younger cat.

I had one who lived to be 18+ and the other 15.5 so yeah I know its not normal for my only 6yr old to just pass like that especially when she was an indoor cat where as the previous ones were indoor/outdoor and she was regularly taken to the vet and there was no indication that she was anything but a perfectly healthy cat.

I know someone who got a bonded pair as kittens and the boy passed away and the girl seems depressed any time I visit. In this situation the owner cannot get another because this cat is declawed and most places won't do it anymore.
I feel terrible for this cat and I'd feel guilty if it happened to me.

I actually feel like it was easier for my other cat to move on once the older one passed since they were not bonded.

I just want to make the best decision for me and the kitten(s) since it is a hopefully 10+yr commitment.

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
So after doing a ton more research I'm leaning towards 2.
It would appear that they WILL also bond with me not just each other as they will think of me as cat mom still.
Also I'm thinking back to my cat in the first say 18mos she was quite aggressive towards me so she did develop a "cattitude" and was also quite the scaredy when it came to noises even when they were just normal house noises.
As much as I loved my kitty in hindsight I'm seeing that her "mean" personality could have been due to being a single cat.

I still have two big things to get past which are the whole death thing and the cost.
I read an article that said having 2 is NOT twice as expensive... I call BS. Sure they can share litter, food, toys etc but you have to buy food and litter more often than with one obviously. They also made no mention of the fact that you're not getting a discount at the vet for having two get fixed, get shots, get exams etc.

I figure I still have some time to think about this but I have a lot more info now.
I'll report back on what ends up happening.

Last edited:

RememberWhen

So sorry for your loss!

I would suggest two. We have a pair of sisters, adopted as kittens, and they are great. They squabble sometimes, but they also snuggle with each other and with us.

They are more expensive than one cat. There’s no getting around that. They use more food and more litter and more vet attention. But I still think it’s the right choice. I can’t speak to what will happen when one of them dies. I assume the other will be very sad. But we’ll try to get through it.

7DA27F3B-B1D3-4EE4-81C9-B171EFFBD1F3.jpeg

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
OP with another update...

I'm likely going in a different direction now.
I will still look for 2 girl kittens at the local shelters because I'm not closing any door HOWEVER...
Growing up we had a cat that adopted us (she lived across the street but seemed to no longer want to. We thought they were not taking care of her but later we found out there was a new baby in the house and she wouldn't go inside anymore).
Anyways she was the most perfect cat you could ever meet. A gentle giant, very smart (we ended up leaving a jingle bell on the door because she would ring it when she needed to go outside because we did not have litter box since she technically wasn't our cat). She would go on walks around the block with you. If you were sick or upset she was right there etc etc.

I mentioned to our vet I thought she could be part Maine .
He totally blew me off and said she's just a longhair cat...
She passed away in 2007 prior to the trend of pet DNA tests so I will never really know but I feel like her looks and personality were that of a Maine , Ragdoll, or Ragamuffin.

So I happened to google catteries in my area and one that's about 2 hours away has Maine Ragdoll mixes.
The website said 6-12 month waiting list but said there's always a chance it will be sooner if someone drops off the list etc.
So I emailed. Turns out this person actually used to work at the vet's office that is 2 minutes from my house and the one I took my cat that recently passed away.
She asked a bit about me and said she felt it was fate that we connected so she is bumping me to the top of the list and says I will have a kitten by late spring. The mama is currently pregnant.
Due to the cost I will only be getting one but from what I've read those breeds do fine as single cats as long as you have the time to give them lots of attention which I do because they very much enjoy human companions.

So long story but basically I'm not ruling anything out but I am likely getting just one and it will be a breeded cat.

RememberWhen

OP with another update...

I'm likely going in a different direction now.
I will still look for 2 girl kittens at the local shelters because I'm not closing any door HOWEVER...
Growing up we had a cat that adopted us (she lived across the street but seemed to no longer want to. We thought they were not taking care of her but later we found out there was a new baby in the house and she wouldn't go inside anymore).
Anyways she was the most perfect cat you could ever meet. A gentle giant, very smart (we ended up leaving a jingle bell on the door because she would ring it when she needed to go outside because we did not have litter box since she technically wasn't our cat). She would go on walks around the block with you. If you were sick or upset she was right there etc etc.

I mentioned to our vet I thought she could be part Maine ****.
He totally blew me off and said she's just a longhair cat...
She passed away in 2007 prior to the trend of pet DNA tests so I will never really know but I feel like her looks and personality were that of a Maine ****, Ragdoll, or Ragamuffin.

So I happened to google catteries in my area and one that's about 2 hours away has Maine **** Ragdoll mixes.
The website said 6-12 month waiting list but said there's always a chance it will be sooner if someone drops off the list etc.
So I emailed. Turns out this person actually used to work at the vet's office that is 2 minutes from my house and the one I took my cat that recently passed away.
She asked a bit about me and said she felt it was fate that we connected so she is bumping me to the top of the list and says I will have a kitten by late spring. The mama is currently pregnant.
Due to the cost I will only be getting one but from what I've read those breeds do fine as single cats as long as you have the time to give them lots of attention which I do because they very much enjoy human companions.

So long story but basically I'm not ruling anything out but I am likely getting just one and it will be a breeded cat.
That sounds like a good plan! Please post pictures of your fuzzy baby when he/she arrives!

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
OP with an update and now I need your help again lol.

The person with the ragdoll/maine kittens just contacted me and told me this has been a tough litter and they are all a bit small.
She has 2 girls but one of them is the runt of the litter so she would prefer that it goes along with the other girl.
She said there would be a discount for getting 2 of them.
So...... Do I take them both???
BTW they are currently 8 weeks old and said because they are small and still weaning from canned to dry food they will need a couple more weeks.

StarWarsGirl

You definitely want to take both.

I got my four year old cat, Jasmine, when she was 8 weeks old. She's a great cat, but only because my older cat Belle was around to entertain her.

Belle passed away back in March, and I've since gotten a kitten, Ella. Now Jasmine fills the role of the entertainment committee. She's already high energy, rambunctious, and easily bored. Can't imagine how she'd be if she didn't have a playmate.

Not to mention Jasmine did not do well being a single cat. I work from home, so I'm pretty much always home, and if I'm not, someone else is. We all left for a couple of hours one morning before we got Ella and came home to Jasmine all wide-eyed at the door like "Where did you go?" Cats just do not do well alone in my experience.

Queen of the WDW Scene

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Ok I'm getting them both

I just sent the deposit.
It will likely still be a few weeks .
Here are the photos I s she sent me today.

Now I am trying to come up with some cute names. I of course won't decide on any until I meet them but what do you think of these or do you have any others ideas...
Aulani and Kalua
Bailey and Kahlua
Pixie and....?
The obvious Anna and Elsa haha
London and Paris

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220513-125250_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220513-125250_Gmail.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20220513-125304_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220513-125304_Gmail.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20220513-125317_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220513-125317_Gmail.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20220513-125324_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220513-125324_Gmail.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 15

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom