One Directions Harry Style publicly denounces SeaWorld while at concert in San Diego

ULPO46

Original Poster
More trouble for seaworld. On Thursday, while at a concert at San Diego, Harry Styles of One Direction Fame, your teenage daughters probably adore them, made comments warning the young attendees not to visit SeaWorld San Diego or any SeaWorld park in general. As they " dont treat their dolphins well." There are a whole bunch of videos on this issue and i know its not Disney news but now there's more trouble for SeaWorld. A few weeks ago another kid from the band visited both universal and the WDWR but skipped SeaWorld entirely. Its understandable that these guys are highly influential but as i started a thread on the issue of what seaworld could do for its future, we agreed that just realising animals bred and raised in captivity could never happen. Please feel free to move this out of the news rumor mill. But i didn't know where else to put this on as i checked and no one had talked about this.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
More trouble for seaworld. On Thursday, while at a concert at San Diego, Harry Styles of One Direction Fame, your teenage daughters probably adore them, made comments warning the young attendees not to visit SeaWorld San Diego or any SeaWorld park in general. As they " dont treat their dolphins well." There are a whole bunch of videos on this issue and i know its not Disney news but now there's more trouble for SeaWorld. A few weeks ago another kid from the band visited both universal and the WDWR but skipped SeaWorld entirely. Its understandable that these guys are highly influential but as i started a thread on the issue of what seaworld could do for its future, we agreed that just realising animals bred and raised in captivity could never happen. Please feel free to move this out of the news rumor mill. But i didn't know where else to put this on as i checked and no one had talked about this.
Why isn't this in the Seaworld forum?

ULPO46

Original Poster
Why isn't this in the Seaworld forum?
I thought it was news worthy feel free to have it moved. What gets to me is why people arent backlashing at Animal Kingdom because their animals arents AA's. They go inside cages at night yet everyone fresks out about SeaWorld. Im just waiting for the whats next scenario.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I would appreciate it if Mr. Styles would produce his esteemed documentation and certifications which proves that he has the education and experience to make an informed statement about this particular topic.

Did he get a degree in Marine Biology in between tour dates? Or, did he just watch a certain documentary and take it as fact (I suspect the latter)?

(quick search shows that he only has his GCSE, which is the moral equivalent of a high school education)

Did he tour Sea World and see the backstage conditions for himself?

I'm curious what has led him to his, I'm sure well thought out and researched, opinion.

Last edited:

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
What led him to this was someone in his management crew probably said say this at a concert = more fans, so he went d'okay more fans = more money i'm in

ULPO46

Original Poster
Newsworthy? Yes.

Disney newsworthy? No.

Belongs in they Sea World forums.....
Thus i said feel free to move the post to the seas fourum. I thought it made it because im just curious as to why Animal Kingdom diesnt get much heat over its animals.

Bolt

I thought it was news worthy feel free to have it moved. What gets to me is why people arent backlashing at Animal Kingdom because their animals arents AA's. They go inside cages at night yet everyone fresks out about SeaWorld. Im just waiting for the whats next scenario.
Wait, they ARE real animals? Holy crap! This changes EVERYTHING!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Just like everyone on here, he does not have to have a degree in marine biology to express an opinion. He's just got a bigger audience with his millions and millions of impressionable young fans to whom he can express that opinion.

But don't worry. Sea World still has Kool and the Gang and Larry the Cable Guy in their corner. So it's all good.
Ever the optimist you are! :hilarious:

UpAllNight

Seaworlds response was great I thought, but just a quick search on twitter shows the hoards of abuse being sent their way; I'd hate to work in their online media team but the little girls will have something else to follow next week I guess.

Still, I feel this will signal the slow decline of the Blackfish Effect, I think this is now maximum exposure unless the likes of Katy Perry comes out and says something similar.

Just searched PETA twitter feed and it's actually hilarious the amount of attention they pay to Seaworld. My local themepark has a polar bear in a room no bigger than a standard dining area, as do a lot of zoos across the planet. Get a grip PETA, and sort the agenda out it's far too obvious.

JPatton

I would appreciate it if Mr. Styles would produce his esteemed documentation and certifications which proves that he has the education and experience to make an informed statement about this particular topic.

Did he get a degree in Marine Biology in between tour dates? Or, did he just watch a certain documentary and take it as fact (I suspect the latter)?

(quick search shows that he only has his GCSE, which is the moral equivalent of a high school education)

Did he tour Sea World and see the backstage conditions for himself?

I'm curious what has led him to his, I'm sure well thought out and researched, opinion.
Even if Mr. Styles did have a "degree in Marine Biology" he still would have been criticized by the "cult" of SeaWorld for saying something negative about the place. Having the credentials or not makes no difference at all.

I say SeaWorld is not above taking some criticism. They are selling fantasy and escapism---not curing cancer.

You don't have to be an "expert" to understand that people and animals have been hurt at SeaWorld---all for our entertainment.

I applaud Harry Styles for his on-stage comment against SeaWorld.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Even if Mr. Styles did have a "degree in Marine Biology" he still would have been criticized by the "cult" of SeaWorld for saying something negative about the place. Having the credentials or not makes no difference at all.

I say SeaWorld is not above taking some criticism. They are selling fantasy and escapism---not curing cancer.

You don't have to be an "expert" to understand that people and animals have been hurt at SeaWorld---all for our entertainment.

I applaud Harry Styles for his on-stage comment against SeaWorld.
Of course you do. Just as of course you're getting paid to do so....

WhatJaneSays

I had the fascinating experience of watching “Blackfish” with someone who actually worked with an aquarium (not Sea World) that dealt with large marine life. Caveat: she was not a biologist but an engineer. She had a lot of insight into the issues of that documentary – but also the they things they rushed over.

There are absolutely some shady things Sea World has done in regards to their animals (and people that work with the animals). However most documentaries tend toward sensationalism rather than realism. Sea World has gotten some deserved criticism and some that makes little sense.

Every zoo, aquarium, or animal park face a lot of the same issues; particularly with large animals be they land or water. Some can only be solved by trial and error because every single animal is going to be a bit different regardless of their spices norms. The learning curve for dealing with living exhibits is steep. It’s why you rarely see new zoos, aquariums, or animal parks that are not government or institution run.

For me I only have one issue with Sea World (one that most other places, including DAK, seem to overcome on a regular basis): the management tend to think of their animals as commodities or even machines in some cases. They often expect the same result across many animals and are very slow on changing. Perform trick >>> receive reward. We’re training this one exactly the same – why a are they not getting it? There must be something wrong with this one they’re not responding the same way every time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom