On this day Disney History

careship

Original Poster
1936: Disney's Mickey Mouse cartoons "Moving Day" and "Mickey's Rival" are released.

1941: The Disney animated and live-action feature film "The Reluctant Dragon" debuts. The premiere, held at
the Pantages Theater in Hollywood, is disrupted by a mob of Walt's striking Disney cartoonists. The police actually
cordon off Hollywood Blvd. around the theater for fear of what the rampaging cartoonists might do. (This is the first Disney animated feature to incorporate extenisve live-action footage.)

1947: Disney's Donald Duck cartoon "Clown of the Jungle" is released.

1953: Disney releases the animated Goofy short "Father's Weekend."

1976: Disney World's River Country (a water park adjacent to Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground) opens. It is Disney's first attempt at a themed water park.

1995: The Walt Disney Company announces plans for a fourth theme park in Florida, called Disney's Wild Animal Kingdom. The park is expected to cost $760 million to create.

The Disney World attraction 'Alien Encounter' begins operation in Tomorrowland.

General Grizz

Originally posted by careship
1936: Disney's Mickey Mouse cartoons "Moving Day" and "Mickey's Rival" are released.

Two of my favorite cartoons! I was able to use 'Rival' in a literary terms discussion day, and Moving Day is plain nostalgic! :)

1941: The Disney animated and live-action feature film "The Reluctant Dragon" debuts.

One of my favorite films!

1953: Disney releases the animated Goofy short "Father's Weekend."

I actually have a poster of this hung behind me right now on a calendar! :)

careship

Original Poster
June 21 - On this day

June 21 -

1930: Disney's Silly Symphony cartoon "Frolicking Fish" is released.

1961: Disney's "The Parent Trap," starring Hayley Mills, Maureen O'Hara, and Brian Keith, is released. Also the combination live-action and animated "The Litterbug," featuring Donald Duck, is released.

1988: The Touchstone/Disney film "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" premieres at Radio City Music Hall in New York. It will be generally released in U.S. theaters the following day.

1991: The Disneyland parade Celebration U.S.A. debuts.

"The Rocketeer" starring Bill Campbell, Jennifer Connelly, Alan Arkin, and Timothy Dalton, premieres at the El Capitan Theatre.

1996: Disney's 34th feature film "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" is generally released.

2002: Disney's animated Lilo & Stitch opens in U.S. theaters the same day ABC-TV airs Disney's Lilo & Stitch Aloha From Hollywood.

EpcoTim

Will someone tell me what this 'fight' between walts guys and the cartoonists was about? Things get ugly at the Frontier Saloon or what?

careship

Original Poster
On this day - June 22

June 22nd -

1917: Walt Disney's younger brother Roy enlists in the U.S. Navy.

1920: Paul Frees, one of the most successful voice actors of all time, is born in Chicago, Illinois.

1955: Disney's "Lady and the Tramp" is generally released. (The idea for the film came from a short story by Ward Greene entitled "Happy Dan, the Whistling Dog.")

1970: The Walt Disney Archives is established (with a little help from David R. Smith) and charged with recording and preserving the history of Disney.

1977: Disney's 23rd animated feature film "The Rescuers" is released in U.S. theaters. The movie features the voices of Bob Newhart, Eva Gabor, and Joe Flynn.

1988: "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" is generally released.

1997: Disney's "Hercules" has its California premiere at Cal Arts in Los Angeles.

2001: Disney's animated feature Atlantis: The Lost Empire is released.

careship

Original Poster
Originally posted by MonorailBlack
I am getting a great Disney education here, thanks for the continuous info!!!!

You are so very welcome. I'll keep it up until we leave. Oh yeah, that reminds me......

19 Days!!!!!

Moustronaut

Originally posted by EpcoTim
Will someone tell me what this 'fight' between walts guys and the cartoonists was about? Things get ugly at the Frontier Saloon or what?

"The business of making fantasy real is a very real business" -Walt Disney

Nothing so fanciful as a bar shoot out, it was what most strikes are about... money.

If memory serves me correctly about the history or disney studios it was a union action against disney. The animators union had a disagreement with Disney. I remember that it was lead by the union boss at the time and Walt took it rather personally.

careship

Original Poster
June 23rd - On this day

1944: Disney's short "Springtime for Pluto" is released.

1956: Disneyland's 'Skyway to Fantasyland' begins transporting guests across the park.

1963: At Disneyland, the Enchanted Tiki Room (the first attraction to feature Audio-Animatronics figures first developed by WED Enterprises) opens.

1967: Disney's "The Happiest Millionaire" starring Fred MacMurray opens in Hollywood.

1989: Disney's Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (starring Rick Moranis, Matt Frewer and Marcia Strassman) is released.

1995: Disney's 33rd full-length animated feature Pocahontas is generally released in the U.S. the same day "The Spirit of Pocahontas" opens at Disneyland's Fantasyland Theatre.

1999: In Disneyland, "Tarzan's Treehouse" opens in Adventureland replacing the "Swiss Family Treehouse."

2000: The Walt Disney World Summer Jam Concert, featuring a lineup that includes Christina Aguilera and Enrique Iglesias, airs on ABC-TV.

careship

Original Poster
June 24

On this day - June 24

1893: Roy Oliver Disney (older brother of Walt Disney) is born in Chicago, Illinois. He will be the middle of 5 children. (Roy will go on to serve as president of Walt Disney Productions from 1945 to 1968 and chairman of the board from 1964 until 1971.)

1949: Disney's Pluto cartoon "Bubble Bee" is released.

1959: Disney's Darby O'Gill and the Little People premieres in Dublin, Ireland.

1977: Disney's "Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo," starring Dean Jones and Don Knotts, is released.

1994: Disney's "The Lion King" is generally released in U.S. theaters.

1998: Jacqueline D'Ambrosi, a 9-year-old from Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey, becomes the 600-millionth person to walk through the turnstiles of the Magic Kingdom in Disney World. With a click of the turnstile at 7:37 a.m., Jacqueline is immediately mobbed by Mickey Mouse and a cast of other Disney characters. She is awarded lifetime passes to the vast Florida amusement park, and to Disney's three other theme parks, for her and her family.

careship

Original Poster
On This Day - June 25th

On this day in History June 25th -

1948: Disney's animated feature Dumbo is released in Denmark.

1966: Disney's live-action comedy feature film "Lt. Robinson Crusoe, U.S.N." (starring D**k Van ) is generally released in the U.S.

1967: A new version of the CircleVision 360 film "America the Beautiful" debuts in Disneyland. The film has been re-shot using the 9-camera CircleVision format (as opposed to the old 11-camera Circarama format).

1980: Disney's live-action films "Herbie Goes Bananas" (starring Cloris Leachman) and "The Last Flight of Noah's Ark" (starring Elliott Gould) are released in the U.S.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom