On the backs of our 10 and 11 year olds...

JeffH

Original Poster
tid-bits from last weekend...

I found out how they planned to finance the expansion of the Disney Dining Experience outside Floridians to include all Annual Passport holders, on the backs of our 10 and 11 year olds. Up until this weekend, a child up to 11 years old was considered a child (even though the cut off for other things is 9), now it's 9, now our 10 and 11 year olds are adults, paying significantly more, or more correctly costing more to feed. Even though she was still considered a child and I was quoted child pricing when I made the reservations, she was still "upgraded" to adult pricing at the door.
Thanks, I'm glad my 11 year old is really 9...:goodnevil

Other tid-bits from this weekend...

We saw Sleeping Beauty at Cindy's lunch on Saturday, recognized her from when I last saw her at the Norway Princess lunch...as Cinderella, then saw her again during the 3:30 parade on Sunday...as the Blue Fairy, cool!

They've introduced new gaming cards that you buy and recharge for the game machines (currently at the Contemporary Resort game room), that will become the gaming way at WDW in the future.

I discoverted that Playhouse Disney at MGM recently (kinda) replaced the "page" with Rollie Pollie Ollie with JoJo's Circus.

At Downtown Disney (Eastside) They're giving away $10 Disney dollars just for signing up for the Disney Visa, whether you're accepted or not...I signed up twice over the weekend:goodnevil

Most of the waterworks were operational at Ariel's Grotto on Saturday:cool:

JeffH

Original Poster
Also, noticed that our off-site motel, started running the new Disney top 7 show with the new girl. She seemed fine.

psuchad

Have you seen how most 10-11 year olds eat? I can just imagine how much money they would loose if my cousins (around that age) would eat at a buffet.

ScrappyTam

I am disappointed myself that a 10 year old is considered an adult when charging for a buffet. I do realize that there may be a few kids in that age range that can eat like an adult, but not many.

I'd much rather see a mid-range price for those tween & early teen years. Many of the locals buffets have that mid-range price. Should be quite simple for Disney to do.

As a consumer, it would keep me away from that type of restaurant.

Hmmm...as I was sitting here typing, it got me to thinking.....I wonder if by upping those prices, its Disney's way of trying to get you to go with their new dining plan.

Neptune

I've seen this at spoodles I think. It's really unfair.

A 10 year old an adult? I think not! I mean, come on. They are not even teens!

speck76

JeffH said:
At Downtown Disney (Eastside) They're giving away $10 Disney dollars just for signing up for the Disney Visa, whether you're accepted or not...I signed up twice over the weekend:goodnevil

More than 1 or 2 credit card applications filed in 1 year will take down your credit score......I doubt $20 is worth it.

willythelab

not fair to charge kids adult prices

this is kind of an offshoot of another thread. someone got mad that disney charges teenagers adult prices. i replied back on that one and the magic member did not like my response at all. it is awful that disney has lowered the adult age like that. if they are not careful, they will price a lot of families out of wdw. in regards to teenagers, they are capable and often outeat many adults and should rightly be charged as such. in this other thread the member said that disney should have seperate pricing just for teenagers which i found silly. pack that lunch for the kids, it is the only way to fight back

Number_6

Since I never participated in the Disney Dining plan, I can't really complain about changes being made to it. I will say this, though, the changes may have been made because of complaints and confusion. I don't know if they did receive any complaints about this, but it is possible that some people started complaining that if "my 10 or 11 year old is considered a child for DDE, then why should I have to pay for adult admission to the parks?" If Disney got enough complaints and is making more money from adult admissions to parks, not DDE, then which change would you think they are going to make? Adult park admission starting at 12, or child DDE ending at 9? This may also be a move to make it so that when people from outside of Florida start to participate, there is no confusion and they don't get any complaints like that listed above.

shoppingnut

I don't find tiered pricing silly at all, it does make sense and is possible, cruise lines do it. They could easily charge $5 more at buffet's for ages 10-15 or in the case of the MYW dining $15 per day. This new rule will just cause people to lie about their kids ages to get one more year out of them being considered a child. I don't know what kids you are thinking about that could eat an adult meal at Disney by themselves, because I usually can't finish an adult meal at disney myself. Those kids the can are the exception, not the rule.

My nephew even though he is 11 still eats from the child's menu since the adult one doesn't have food on it he likes. This is a general problem I see in going from the child to adult menu, kids at that age generally don't eat or like what is on the adult menu, they are still content with having pizza, pasta, chicken fingers, etc. and generally don't even finish a child's portion either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom