On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

TrainsOfDisney

His legacy will take a decent hit when Disney’s PR machine isn’t managing it anymore and their goal shifts to building up Chapek, just like Eisner’s did when he was replaced. Then a decade later there will be a reassessment where people will start saying it would be nice to have Iger back, just like what happened with Eisner.
Why would they want Iger back? So they can have another remake? Or watch Disney pay billions for another Studios content while taking money away from Disney’s own creatives?

Brer Oswald

His legacy will take a decent hit when Disney’s PR machine isn’t managing it anymore and their goal shifts to building up Chapek, just like Eisner’s did when he was replaced. Then a decade later there will be a reassessment where people will start saying it would be nice to have Iger back, just like what happened with Eisner.
Agree with the first point. I’m not so sure about the last. Unless the films start to tank again, I don’t see people wanting him back. Iger was great for the acquisitions. He’s given Disney all of the tools they’ll need for awhile.

His strategy on how to use these tools will wear thin if Disney keeps using it. I don’t think people will want that back.

brianstl

Why would they want Iger back? So they can have another remake? Or watch Disney pay billions for another Studios content while taking money away from Disney’s own creatives?
I won’t want him back but many at that point will start forget what they didn’t like about Iger as nostalgia starts to set in.

Brer Panther

Did we have the bad attendance? I'm guessing yes, mainly because nobody wants to travel during a pandemic, but I'm not one hundred percent sure...

the.dreamfinder

1611103946970.jpeg
Unless he screws up big time, this lady will ensure Teflon Bob stays that way.

doctornick

Agree with the first point. I’m not so sure about the last. Unless the films start to tank again, I don’t see people wanting him back. Iger was great for the acquisitions. He’s given Disney all of the tools they’ll need for awhile.

His strategy on how to use these tools will wear thin if Disney keeps using it. I don’t think people will want that back.

I know this is a parks centric board, but I would suggest that "people" in general love the tentpole movies the company is putting out. And Disney+ has been a smashing success. It's tough to argue that his "strategy" when it comes to media is anything but well received.

Again, granted, the parks are a different matter.

doctornick

Iger’s legacy was supposed to translate into immediate political success. Covid obviously put a speed bump on that plan, but despite knocking on a lot of doors lately he’s still not seeing any open right up.

Maybe, but I don't see what that has to do with him retiring "in disgrace".

I harbor no love for the man, so I don't care what happens to him. I'm actually legitimately curious to see the hinted stuff from the OP come to pass. But I see no evidence of them happening and it's been many months now; it sounds like something was imminent at the time of the original post.

Also:
The situation is dire. Unsustainable. WDW parks will be dropping to five day weeks soon. They will likely not be alone in this practice.

Brer Oswald

I know this is a parks centric board, but I would suggest that "people" in general love the tentpole movies the company is putting out. And Disney+ has been a smashing success. It's tough to argue that his "strategy" when it comes to media is anything but well received.

Again, granted, the parks are a different matter.
People don’t love the remakes (yet they make a ton of money), and they don’t love the modern Star Wars films (also makes a lot of money).

Marvel is carrying the brunt.

UNCgolf

Difference is there was way more "good" to point to with Eisner, especially for parks fans. He did far more for the parks than Iger ever even considered doing, and that's despite how bad things got at the end.

I don't think most people will be nostalgic for Iger's tenure (I'm sure there will be a few out there) unless Chapek is around for a long time or they replace him with someone worse -- which is certainly possible.

Also, that 5 days a week operating schedule from the OP never made any sense. It could maybe be doable for Disneyland, but it would never work in a million years at WDW. It would be a logistical nightmare.

doctornick

People don’t love the remakes (yet they make a ton of money), and they don’t love the modern Star Wars films (also makes a lot of money).

Marvel is carrying the brunt.

It's easy to say, but I don't think the reality bares it out. Critics and snobs can complain about all the live action remakes but the reality is that "ordinary people" - y'know, the people who buy tickets to go see movies - actually eat them up. Even if critical scores are mediocre, they generally have done well on on Cinemascore and RT Audience scores (look at the scores for the live action The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, etc). And obviously the box office are largely good.

In fact, the biggest misses from Disney have generally been when they've tried to branch into original (or at least non franchise) live action movies. The very thing that people here often suggest they need to be doing more of. 🤷‍♂️

Disney has basically dominated the box office the past decade and it has done so by giving the audience exactly what it wants. And they are doing it with far fewer releases than other major studios. If someone wants to argue that the Iger lead Disney movie strategy is poor, then basically no studio is doing anything right. The reality is that Disney is consistently putting out films that inspire people to spend time and money to see them (and talk about them, etc.) - it's hard to argue that isn't at least a major goal of filmmaking.

lazyboy97o

It's easy to say, but I don't think the reality bares it out. Critics and snobs can complain about all the live action remakes but the reality is that "ordinary people" - y'know, the people who buy tickets to go see movies - actually eat them up. Even if critical scores are mediocre, they generally have done well on on Cinemascore and RT Audience scores (look at the scores for the live action The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, etc). And obviously the box office are largely good.

In fact, the biggest misses from Disney have generally been when they've tried to branch into original (or at least non franchise) live action movies. The very thing that people here often suggest they need to be doing more of. 🤷‍♂️

Disney has basically dominated the box office the past decade and it has done so by giving the audience exactly what it wants. And they are doing it with far fewer releases than other major studios. If someone wants to argue that the Iger lead Disney movie strategy is poor, then basically no studio is doing anything right. The reality is that Disney is consistently putting out films that inspire people to spend time and money to see them (and talk about them, etc.) - it's hard to argue that isn't at least a major goal of filmmaking.
Wasn’t this sort of the case with the direct to video sequels? They were being pumped out because people were buying them up but they were also hurting the image of the brand.

doctornick

Exactly. At least Eisner and company new they weren’t good enough to push them into theaters.

But when films are getting Cinemascores of "A", who is saying they "aren't good enough" or "hurt the brand".

A lot of folks say they think Disney is lazy with the re-makes and then in the next breath are like "OMG! I can't wait to watch live action The Little Mermaid". Movies don't make a billion dollars worldwide when people don't like them.

What hurts Disney is when the put out a stinker like Nutcracker and the Four Realms or Artemis Fowl.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not saying that I like this strategy but labelling it as a failure seems specious compared to the reception and results of such films.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom