On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Ravenclaw78

DVC) Disney doesn’t care if DVC rooms are booked. Disney should still be able to charge DVC members their management fees with or without occupancy. As long as Disney is maintaining and operating the resort, Disney should receive its check. Reopening right now might be a no brainer. DVC members with access to contracts would know for sure.
Disney absolutely does care whether DVC rooms are booked, if for no other reason than that they desperately need to reduce the number of 2021 points being banked into 2022. I knew bookings were low past December, based on the availability calendar, but as of a couple of days ago (and no, I am not willing to go into details, though it's somewhat anecdotal and not technically "insider info"), I now have reason to believe that it's far worse than it seemed.

Lilofan

Disney absolutely does care whether DVC rooms are booked, if for no other reason than that they desperately need to reduce the number of 2021 points being banked into 2022. I knew bookings were low past December, based on the availability calendar, but as of a couple of days ago (and no, I am not willing to go into details, though it's somewhat anecdotal and not technically "insider info"), I now have reason to believe that it's far worse than it seemed.
If you ask the DVC cast members who are perhaps barely surviving on unemployment if the DVC resorts should open - Heck ya!

Brer Oswald

Likewise it is wonderful to see so many old school names dropping in.

Not wanting to read a bombardment of dumb people to get to the good ones is why I kept hesitating to post. Not because I care about them. But because it takes time to mute/block/troll whoever is in the way of the good stuff. Still, I'm here. Let's see what they got.

You can't layoff enough people in WDI. The place needs to be shut down and padlocked. Then after a period of time, you bring it back to life. With new people, with new dreams. And without this tired bunch of talentless hacks.

On Splash Mt... I don't think its ever gonna happen. Maybe in Anaheim. But the company is broke. Their financial situation is gravely serious and some heartbreaking change is ahead for Disney. Yet Bob Iger makes the call that "something has to be done" to monetize the current political climate. So we get this project. I should add that some of the stuff pitched is elaborate as hell. Ride flume rerouting. Concrete removal. New sets. New AAs. But its all concept with no clear runway to reality. They don't even plan on closing the ride until 2022. The project itself is on like a three year timetable. Basically an excuse to keep all "the right people" employed while everything else is vaporized.
I kept saying that the sets would have to be torn out and the concrete would have to be removed in Florida for this concept to work at all. But where would they be getting that money from???

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Nah detroit is legitimately rubbish. Orlando isn't half as bad and being in florida i can shoot back. To be fair it could suffer alot but i think it will be far more bounceier than detroit in coming back. People still want to live here. Ever here anyone want to move to detroit?

There’s a ton of expensive condos, apartments and townhomes downtown Detroit so someone is interested... I lived there for several years. I wouldn’t be opposed to returning but would be priced out of the trendy areas.

Parts of Detroit aren’t great but that’s true of any city. It’s changed and improved a lot in recent years. But you can just keep on depicting it as Robocop or 8 Mile Detroit if you’d like. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Brer Oswald

Y'all probably don't need me to break the news -- and @AliciaStella on Twitter gets the hattip for breaking it first:

Epic Universe is cancelled.

They're gonna build a new park, and its gonna be great. But it won't be in the next five years and it won't be Epic Universe.
Disappointing if true. As a big Mario fan, this was the only thing keeping me invested in any of the parks.

After Splash closes, I might be taking a decade long break from theme parks.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I hope it's just paused. I'd really hate for Universal, who decided to try and go bigger instead of just stagnating as they were, to see their attempts for more backfire to the point of being cancelled. Fingers crossed
I'm not sure the difference means anything (Cancelled vs. Paused). They already bought the land and had it graded. Even if its "cancelled" they can always pick up where they left off in the future. A pause can essentially be the same as cancelled in theme park terms. I think either way, Epic Universe won't be a reality in the next 8 years or so. Just my opinion.

pheneix

Original Poster
I'm not sure the difference means anything (Cancelled vs. Paused). They already bought the land and had it graded. Even if its "cancelled" they can always pick up where they left off in the future. A pause can essentially be the same as cancelled in theme park terms. I think either way, Epic Universe won't be a reality in the next 8 years or so. Just my opinion.

Bingo.

Lirael

I'm no connoisseur so in my mind, pause means "we're halting this project but we're keeping the land and such until we are again at a good financial situation to get back to it", whereas cancelled to me sounds like "we have no plans of trying again, and we're likely selling the land or using it for something other than a theme park"

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I'm no connoisseur so in my mind, pause means "we're halting this project but we're keeping the land and such until we are again at a good financial situation to get back to it", whereas cancelled to me sounds like "we have no plans of trying again, and we're likely selling the land or using it for something other than a theme park"
They would be foolish to sell the land they just bought, as its pretty strategic in their long term plans. I think it will unfortunately sit vacant for years and be used for staging for various projects.

Lirael

They would be foolish to sell the land they just bought, as its pretty strategic in their long term plans. I think it will unfortunately sit vacant for years and be used for staging for various projects.
Ah, I see. I just assumed leaving the land empty would just be a loss of money, so if they're not going to use it, there'd be less financial loss to selling it than paying for its upkeep

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom