On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

brb1006

Here's the thing about Disney's parks in China: They're in trouble. It is political trouble and it is financial trouble every time the CCP gets involved.

I'm not shocked nothing was said about the parks today (Shanghai is open notwithstanding), but there will not be silence on this issue for much longer. Disney is in a *very* weak state and the people they ****ed off across the ocean are taking advantage of it. To say nothing of the drama the Trump government can make.

There are billions of Disney's dollars at risk in these assets. Real dollars. Not asset credits or write-downs for the earnings statement.
Me waiting for the new thread
2d5.gif

You're just teasing us with the new thread aren't you? ;)

brb1006

Multiple things happening at once.

Disney didn't brag to Wall St that its gonna eliminate 10% of its workforce in a giant reduction. They also are also laying off seemingly anyone involved with new projects at the parks as they are not happening. Indeed, Disney's grip on spending is so tight they aren't even paying contractors by and large.

Universal Creative is basically a skeleton crew operation until the world improves. Some of the gossip alleges that 70% of UC got laid off.

Next year, you're gonna see thousands less Orlando resident CMs in Orlando. They will lose their jobs. They will be gone. Tourism is not coming back -- not like people are wishing it will. Disney did everything they could not to extend guidance to how the parks could perform in the future. For good reason.
If that's true, then Happy 50th Birthday Walt Disney World
NearYellowishCanine-size_restricted.gif

mikejs78

Premium Member
We’re not going to get it because people keep “calling him out” because Disney didn’t reveal much in the way of bad news.
If massive layoffs had happened, there's no way we wouldn't have heard about it. Despite the doom and gloom, Disney beat expectations, has a huge amount of cash on hand, and managed a small profit. Shanghai is doing better than WDW. It makes sense to question @pheneix at this point - nothing he's said has panned out.

Brer Oswald

If massive layoffs had happened, there's no way we wouldn't have heard about it. Despite the doom and gloom, Disney beat expectations, has a huge amount of cash on hand, and managed a small profit. Shanghai is doing better than WDW. It makes sense to question @pheneix at this point - nothing he's said has panned out.
To be fair, he did say that they didn’t happen yet before the conference. If I were running TWDC, I probably would wait on the lay offs until after the earnings call.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Well... Iger *could* be sitting the dark stewing in shame!

Mrtko

That's what Net Positive means as per the definition they are using. If they can cover at least the variable costs then they are better off staying open than being closed. EG. If fixed costs are $100, and I can sell a ticket for $120, with variable costs of $110, I am covering my variable costs and contributing $10 towards fixed cost. Not a way to run a business long term obviously, but in the short term, given the current world situation, it's the best of the possible worst-case scenarios.

PS - sorry if I'm insulting your intelligence with the simple example. Not my intention at all, but I don't know your level of financial literacy
Simple is good and your reply was appreciated.

Animaniac93-98

Disney is fine.

This is what they say every earnings call. They did before the pandemic, and they will continue to do so.

Earning Calls exist to tell investors what they want to hear and drum up media attention. It's mostly PR/marketing fluff.

What was trending on twitter after the call? Mulan's Disney+ release.

They don't want you thinking about hard numbers. Or the long term impact of this recession. Just what's new at DIS.

ToTBellHop

As usual, the truth will be somewhere between the OP’s doom and gloom and a pixie duster’s alternate reality.

For the parks, as I’ve said before, they announced there were reopening, bookings were fine, then COVID cases spiked and travel restrictions appeared, causing many cancellations. They briefly considered reclosing until COVID numbers started improving. Now, with the state and local government’s blessing, they are no longer entertaining reclosure, so we are in a phase of mitigating losses. They will continue pushing off resorts reopening until they are needed, will perhaps (probably) cut hours in September, and use this to show improvement in the next quarter. Pushing off current projects a quarter or two, trimming excessive details in Epcot projects, and employing a number of CMs appropriate to guest levels is prudent. Bookings are healthy in 2021.

In the end, the BRAND is strong. People want to go. And they will. The company will survive.

Universal has a slightly more perilous situation but will also be fine. They opened earlier and suffered more as COVID spiked. Now, more locals are going to WDW because they’ve “been there, done that” with masks at Universal. WDW is more novel. And if there was ever any doubt, Central Florida vacationers come, first and foremost, to Walt Disney World. There’s more nostalgia. So for those who want to get a vacation away from COVID, most are choosing WDW.

Sometimes, you have to say, “does this pass the smell test?” Someone makes it out like the parks are closing up shop the same week as Disney recommences construction on multiple major projects that are underway. If you are ready to close up shop, do you send workers back to Ratatouille, Guardians, Play, other Epcot projects, Tron, Grand pathway, Toy Story restaurant, etc.? Do you still open your largest moderate resort? Do you work to bring new entertainment to DHS? Do you unveil new product lines? C’mon.

With that said, I do think they need to wake up and start offering discounts to help promote more bookings. No brainer. A $5000 vacation that has been discounted is better for the company than a $6000 vacation that people don’t book.

pheneix

Original Poster
One thing Disney absolutely needs is knockout D+ and Hulu subscriber growth. Disney announced back in May that D+ had around 51 million subs. Say they absolutely killed it and are close to 80 million subscribers. Hulu likewise experiences the same growth, but sorry, I don't recall their sub numbers off hand. With this momentum they can definitely abate some of the pain from the parks. Because of the value that Wall St places on subscriber businesses that lose lots of money, this could even save the stock. Even while DTC is losing tons of money, the revenue still good cash in the till.

Disney's cash position could also be better than expected. They raised $11 billion in debt since the last earnings report. Not inconceivable they have a better cash/cash equivalents position than we speculate. Perhaps north of $12 billion. The caveat here is that they are burning thru this cash at an astonishing rate. This is not in question. "When does the cash burn end?" That's the first question. "Is it worth continuing to loan money to this company if they can't answer the cash burn question?" is the second one.

Worth nothing that these two positive items I highlighted in a post last night were indeed the headlines of the day that saved their report.

But please, keep telling me how I got it all wrong. :cool:

lazyboy97o

Layoffs at Walt Disney Imagineering and Universal Creative are not necessarily something that would be reported because they could get rid of people who are not “employees” or not extend contracts. Recall the post-Shanghai Disneyland layoffs at Walt Disney Imagineering where the workforce was reduced more than those laid off because of these contractors and project hires.

But please, keep telling me how I got it all wrong. :cool:
If you say so - same post:

I've been giving consideration to what could go right for Disney on earnings day tomorrow vs the obvious catastrophes. And I do see a few ways they can avoid a total stock collapse.
You just hedged across the board with a bunch of what ifs that didn't also come true.

TOTAL STOCK COLLAPSE :hilarious: Reality: up 4.5% after hours, will probably close down from that tomorrow.

In truth, Disney is probably getting their face ripped off tomorrow.
😂

Mrtko

I thought Disney did very well managing the Q3. Here is what I heard and saw in the numbers and what it means:

ESPN didn't pay anyone yet. NBA and MLB have to play to get the pay. Disney kept the revenue and didn't pay it out. MLB and NBA are in the area of $3B I believe. This means ESPN will pay next quarter and maybe have ad revenue to help. A decent business strategy here but spreads the pain into the future.

Television studios were shut down and no one was paid. (I'm sure someone was but in general...) Disney charged more for ABC from the stations but didn't create any new content. Going forward they will be more judicious about the content they create. A sound strategy but again pushes cost into the future. Ad revenue was not off a dramatic amount.

The parks are wounded but look at the strength of the consumer products! That was surprising to me. Overall it is what it is and a partial opening of the parks begins to help turn the corner. Nothing wrong in this strategy. They are taking their lumps.

Disney will now explore Disney+ as a new movie release vehicle. Trolls World Tour must have been a real eye opener. Kudos here. You only need half the revenue if you don't need to share half the admission receipts with movie theaters.

Accounts receivable got squeezed for $2.5B. Good job Luca Brasi.

What was the $5B impairment in international channels operations? Something big was written off overseas. Something happened. Best to write it off now.

Overall Disney did a good job stopping the bleeding. They did add $16B in new debt but have $23B in cash. There is definitely room to breath. Am I seeing things correctly?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom