Old Rides vs. New Rides

MKCustodial

Original Poster
You know, with all this chat we see here about people missing 20k and hating the Grotto, and people that hated Toad and love Pooh, and our fears about CoP, Timekeeper and Country Bears, I've been thinking. Do you guys think we have a tendency of liking or not a new ride based on whatever they replaced? That maybe we'd like something a lot more if it was brand new, not taking anything's place, like RnRC?

For example, I never really cared about 20k, and I think Ariel's Grotto was a great addition to Fantasyland; I loved Toad, and I really miss it, and I think it's a pity Disney got rid of him just to gain some big bucks over Pooh.

We can have the same kind of thought over Mission to the Moon/Mission to Mars and Alien Encounter, and Delta's Flight (is this right? :confused: ) and Buzz. And also, the rumors about the "new" Haunted Mansion, with the Nightmare Before Christmas theme. I wonder if we'll hate Mission: Space because we loved Horizons, or if we'll never be able to apreciate JYI because we all miss Dreamfinder (even though this last one doesn't really apply...:p ) Also, Legend of the Lion King vs. Mickey's Phillarmagic.

Well, I digress, you guys already got the hang of what I'm trying to say... :animwink:
So, opinions?? :D

DisJosh

I think there are alot of 'band wagon jumpers' with all this bring back the classic rides stuff.

Personally I could care less about 20K I thought it was terrible and I think the same about the grotto.

I enjoyed Mr.Toad the ride as a kid but didn't love it (loved the movie though :D ). and I enjoy the Pooh ride as a teenager...it's fun but just another Fantasyland ride. :p

Last August was my 5th trip to WDW but it was my first time on CoP and I fell in love with it...can't explain why I just liked it.

Time Keeper was ok for me...nothing extrordinary.

I liked World of Motion and only like Test Track.

What I'm getting at is that those are my own opinions. I feel alot of people see others missing the old attractions and tag along. I guess I think theres just too much nestalgia. And I admit I feel some of that nestalgia but my true personal opinions over come that nestalgia. :)

Wow....did any of that make sense? I have a headache so give me a break. ;)

MKCustodial

Original Poster
Originally posted by DisJosh
What I'm getting at is that those are my own opinions. I feel alot of people see others missing the old attractions and tag along. I guess I think theres just too much nestalgia. And I admit I feel some of that nestalgia but my true personal opinions over come that nestalgia. :)

Wow....did any of that make sense? I have a headache so give me a break. ;)

:lol: Actually, it did make sense. It's exactly what I'm talking about, the nostalgia. I remember I only liked Toad, but after I read it was gone, I kinda missed it really hard (I also love the movie!!). WoM, it's a pity they changed just to please thrill-seekers, it was such a cute ride. And CoP, it kinda happened the same to me, only I had been on it before, but I could only really enjoy it on my last trip, that's when I had enough English to do so. :cool:

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
Well after riding rides for years, even decades we get attached to them. The memories we create AROUND the rides can be more potent than the ride itself. And when a ride is gone you cant relive your past memories. People then look on the new ride with disdain. Their memories are gone in a sense. For some this is a tragic loss. For others it has no signifigence. It all depends on the person. I for one are always up for a change. Yes Horizons was fun but, I'm really gunning for Mission:space. I cant wait. Others are mad taht its gone. They go out of their way to petition to save or for the return of an attraction. Even if it totaly impossible. Its the emotional attachment that makes us feel this way.

DisJosh

Originally posted by MKCustodial

:lol: Actually, it did make sense. It's exactly what I'm talking about, the nostalgia. I remember I only liked Toad, but after I read it was gone, I kinda missed it really hard (I also love the movie!!). WoM, it's a pity they changed just to please thrill-seekers, it was such a cute ride. And CoP, it kinda happened the same to me, only I had been on it before, but I could only really enjoy it on my last trip, that's when I had enough English to do so. :cool:

I think that whole post is just your nice way of telling me I spelled nostalgia wrong! ;)

DisJosh

Originally posted by Sansaarai
Well after riding rides for years, even decades we get attached to them. The memories we create AROUND the rides can be more potent than the ride itself. And when a ride is gone you cant relive your past memories. People then look on the new ride with disdain. Their memories are gone in a sense. For some this is a tragic loss. For others it has no signifigence. It all depends on the person. I for one are always up for a change. Yes Horizons was fun but, I'm really gunning for Mission:space. I cant wait. Others are mad taht its gone. They go out of their way to petition to save or for the return of an attraction. Even if it totaly impossible. Its the emotional attachment that makes us feel this way.

Yeah I'm all for change...

I mean you've always got your memories right? So let the attraction go keep the great memories and get a brand spankin' new ride! :D

I guess I should just accept how they stuck a hat 10 sizes to large right in front of a great view in the Studios. :D

Ahhhhh the Great Movie Ride...what a view!

MKCustodial

Original Poster
Originally posted by DisJosh

I think that whole post is just your nice way of telling me I spelled nostalgia wrong! ;)

Really? :lookaroun I thought it was right... At least, in Portuguese it's like that! :D

DisJosh

Originally posted by MKCustodial

Really? :lookaroun I thought it was right... At least, in Portuguese it's like that! :D

Yeah your spellings right...not mine. I think. :lookaroun lol

ToTBellHop

it's spelled nostalgia:) Anywho, it is absurd for people to already be saying they hate Mission: SPACE because Horizons had to die for it to open in its place. People need to just take attractions for what they are and realize nothing disney builds is permanent and Walt never intended anything to be. Personally, the only replacement I don't like is Journey Into Your Imagination...simply b/c it was pointless, which certainly made me angered that the original had to close for it to appear. However, I absolutely hated Toad, thought it smelled DISGUSTING on 20K on hot days, I was not the biggest fan of either Horizons or World of Motion and prefer the more serious, but fun, mood of both Test Track and, I gather, Mission: SPACE. I grew up really disliking Epcot cuz I thought it was boring and these two attractions probably alleviate that for some people in the younger crowd...and I just find Test Track fun!

General Grizz

Yes and no... Examples...

JIYI, TEST TRACK, AND FOOD ROCKS: I just don't CARE about those without THINKING about the old rides...

BUYT...when it comes to the OLD RIDES...It makes me MORE mad.

When a classic attraction is taken away, a MUCH BETTER attraction (and I mean MUCH) better replace it. Because not only is it closing the ride, but it is also takes away a part of us...those magical/nostalgic feelings we always have had on them, etc...those are priceless.

Attractions like JIYI, TT, and Food Rocks are fine to some people INDVIDUALLY...but the people who hate them realize that they just don't meet up to their predeccessors QUALITY wise and they have to be even BETTER to pay up for the loss of a piece of their past.

Buzz is an example of an "OK" change. I miss Dreamflight, but I accept Buzz. Still, Dreamflight was better ;) heh...

Mickey5150

has disney ever brought an old ride back?
As far as I know Disney has never completely brought back a new ride but they have brought them back with changes. The ride in the living seas disappeared for a long time before coming back as Nemo and friends. Ironically enough the submarine ride in Disneyland reopened years later as a Nemo ride as well. So basically Disney only brings back old rides if they are going to become a Nemo ride.

rob0519

I've never seen Disney give in and bring a ride back with the same theme. It was a valid question, but bumping a 14 year old thread is bound to get some reaction from this crowd. Kudos to the OP for actually finding it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom