Old Key West

BeachClubVillas

My family and I were talking about where to stay on our 2005 trip. We figure that by then we'll have stayed at our home resort of the BCV twice. We were thinking of trying out OKW. Has anyone stayed there? What do you guys think about it? I don't know anything about it, and the DVC website doesn't really give that info. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

I know, I know, we haven't even gone in 2004 yet, and we're already planning 2005...you can laugh, it's ok! :lol:

bfilly

OKW is my home resort and I love it! But it really all depends on what you're looking for. OKW is really laid back and relaxing. If you're not looking for a quiet resort than I don't think OKW is for you. I don't really know anything about BCV so i can't tell you how they compare but I have heard that BCV's pool is much nicer than OKW which is understandable because IMO OKW's pools leave something to be desired. I highly suggest OKW but,a gain, it all depnds on what kind of resort you like.

Upvote 0

MadameCheshire

OKW is AMAZING! It is by far my favorite resort. We stay there everytime we go down. Even though we are trying the WL for a few days this summer. The rooms in OKW are amazing. They are really designed like a home, and they are like little apartments. The pool isn't terrible, but it isn't the best pool. However as a DVC member you can hop to other pools because OKW doesn't have the best pool. (Except for the AKL and Y/BC) But the Sauna and hot tub are awesome at OKW!

The lounge area is also really nice. There are some shops, and a few nice resteraunts. They have the bikes you can rent. It is our home away from home, and is our favorite resort. It is very laid back, but it isn't boring or anything. It is peaceful, and there are multiple pools around the property that are all nice pools. (Nothing like the Y/Bc pool, but they serve their purpose)

Enjoy your trip next year! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

BeachClubVillas

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I hear ya about the pool. But in the new issue of teh DVC newsletter, they talked about a whole new pool for OKW and it looked awesome! It was a giant sandcastle pool with a huge slide. If I remember right, the slide was supposed to make two 360 degree turns. It's set to be open at the end of 2004.

I'm looking forward to staying there already!!!

Upvote 0

Connears

OKW is our home resort and have been too many times to count since we joined in 1994. We love it ! Villa size makes all the difference and the car in front of your building is what makes it for my DH. We love the atmosphere and friendliness. We have our car because we drive from Boston and do drive to the parks alot, but have used the transportation and have not had problems with buses. Love the boat to DTD, hate to try to find a place to park there! We are returning for 12/26-12/31/04 and can't wait.
Connears

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

I stayed there once, and thought it was wonderful. I remember a golf course view out a window, spacious two bedroom suite - very nice.

I didn't use the food service or pool, so I can't comment on any of that. I just recall the room was very inviting and comfortable.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Ok, here goes my 2 cents. We stayed at OKW Aug 2003 for our second DVC vacation (10 days) We chose there because of the reduced points (that was a good thing, we could get 6 nights at BCV or 10 at OKW). It is a beatiful resort and the theming is nice. Since there are enough people singing OKW praise, and I do agree with them, I am going to take the other view.

Coming from BCV we were disapointed. (not that we didn't like it, but so far it it the bottom our our favorite list, BCV being at the top.) OWK is more like the DVC verson of a mod resort, the rooms are great, the 1 and 2 bedrooms and GV are even better then the other DVC rooms. (we stayed in a studio). If you are going for bigger rooms or a GV then it is a good choice. It is like a mod that the whole resort is very big, spread out and individual buildings. Most building don't have elevators, making it difficult to get children asleep in stollers to the room. The stairwells aren't even covered from the rain. The walk outside from all the bus stops can be a pain in the rain (it rained everyday, if it doesn't when you go, it might not be so bad.) OKW is good for people to take their own cars, parking is close by and the resort is very spred out. We were not impressed with the busses, becuase they loop around in and out and it takes 10 to 15 from the time the bus enters the resort to when it actually leaves. We had a few bad expernces with the busses, but that could of happened at any resort.

They are planning on putting a new water slide in the main pool at OKW starting spring 2004, I think they hope to be done by 2005. There are a number of pools and playground around the resort. They also are redoing some of the rooms (that need it, it is an older resort) and putting in DVD players instead of VCRS.

You get a ton of "welcome homes" and the CM are very friendly. It does feel like a real DVC resort since it is not a Deluxe and Villas resort like BC, WL and BW. The theming is nice.

So keep in mind it isn't that comprable to BCV, but a different kind of DVC resort. I wonder if SSR will be more like OKW, or more like the newer DVC resorts.

I wish we knew better when we went, then it might have not been as dispointing. If we were better prepared for it, we might of liked it better. But truth being told BCV and VWL have spoiled us. OKW is a different kind of nice.

Upvote 0

Connears

I totally disagree with the comparison of OKW to a moderate resort! If you just look at the accomodations and the pricing alone there is NO comparison. OKW was DVC(for quite awhile) and it continues to be a Home Away from Home with great atmosphere and character. I don't think that a pool makes a resort. That said, we did like BCV and would stay there again for the great location. I would not return to BWV again, bad attitude and service. OKW is not a moderate resort.

Connears

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by Connears
I totally disagree with the comparison of OKW to a moderate resort! If you just look at the accomodations and the pricing alone there is NO comparison. OKW was DVC(for quite awhile) and it continues to be a Home Away from Home with great atmosphere and character. I don't think that a pool makes a resort. That said, we did like BCV and would stay there again for the great location. I would not return to BWV again, bad attitude and service. OKW is not a moderate resort.

Connears

I realize my thread was long, but I didn't say it was a mod resort.

I said that is was like the DVC verson of a mod resort. The rooms are expectional. The overall layout and feel of the resort is more like POR, then say Contempory or GF. I said the rooms were far better then any WDW room, and better then most DVC rooms.

OKW is the origanal DVC resort, some feel it the "only true" DVC resort.

If you expect it to compare with BCV it is dispapointing. If you take it as it, it is a great option for DVC (and less points, that is great!)

BeachClubVillas asked to compare it with BVCs, so I gave my impressions. Some people act like Mod resorts are bad things, I love POR and would hardly be offened at a comparsion to that.

Upvote 0

SafariGuy

I'm not a DVC member, however I've stayed at OKW twice. Overall, I liked it, however it does have its pros & cons.

I agree with the earlier posters that the resort is very quiet and relaxing. That, along with the stunning rooms, I think are the resort's biggest advantages. On the down side, the busses not only stop two or three times within the resort, but they also don't seem to run as frequently as at the value or moderate resorts. It's definately a plus to have a rental car here.

Also, DisneyPHD pointed out a good point about the lack of elevators. This is kind of a catch-22, because you want to be on one of the upper floors to enjoy the balcony & view, but prepare yourself for repeated stairclimbing. I think some of the newer building have them now however.

If you decide to stay at OKW, I would definately go with one-bedroom unit & not a studio. I've stayed in both & the studio is little more than a regular hotel room with a small refrigerator & microwave (think college dorm appliances). I'm not sure how it works out with DVC points and all, but I thought the studios were significantly overpriced. The balcony's are also very small in the studios.

Regardless, you'll enjoy your stay. The theming is wonderful and it's very relaxing.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom