Old Key West vs. Wilderness Villas

VillianFan

We are getting ready to plan our next trip and would like some feedback on these two properties. We love the Wilderness Lodge but have not seen the Villas and we have never been to OKW. We would love to hear what everyone thinks.

Our family includes myself, husband and two children, 5 and 8 years.

Thanks for the input!

dreamer

I can tell you about OKW. I have 5 kids. We stayed in a 2 BR. It was huge and had great atmosphere. My summary of OKW would be: "Laid back and relaxing." The landscaping is beautiful and the atmosphere is quiet. I like the convencience to Downtown Disney. You can take a boat from here to there, but you may have to wait a while for it.

I didn't like having to take a bus to everywhere, but I guess that wouldn't be too different from Wilderness.

Next time we go we probably won't stay at OKW because of the lack of a theme pool. But I know we will stay at OKW off and on. My kids have good memories of it and would be delighted to stay there again.

Upvote 0

GHOST1000

WE HAVE JUST BOUGHT INTO THE VILLAS AT W.L. MARCH 2000 STAYED THERE LAST FALL , CAN'T SAY ENOUGH GREAT THINGS ABOUT IT . THE POOL IS AWESOME (ACTUALLY HAS TWO) IF THE BIG ONE IS CROWDED WE WENT TO THE VILLAS POOL WHICH ALMOST NEVER HAD ANY CROWD. TRANSPORTATION IS GREAT, THE BUSES ARE THERE OF COURSE, BUT THE BOATS ARE VERY CONVENIENT AND VERY RARELY CROWDED EXCEPT AT OPENING OF THE PARKS),, PLUS YOUR ALOT CLOSER TO M.K. AND THE MONORAILS THAT LINK YOU TO EPCOT AND T.T.C.
THE THEMEING IS THE BEST. VERY GOOD FOOD. THREE PLACES TO EAT. TONS OF STUFF TO DO. COULDN'T RECOMMEND IT MORE.:)

Upvote 0

Invero

I can't say that I've ever stayed at either resort...

However, I drive through Old Key West all the time. (It happens to be my favorite resort to drive through) It's a beautiful resort, very relaxing atmosphere... absolutly gorgeous... and never very crowded.

OKW is just a 10 min bus ride away from Epcot, Magic Kingdom, Disney/MGM Studios, and Downtown Disney. Old Key West busses run pretty consistant, because they are never crowded. Even at a park exit, I rarely, if ever, have anyone standing on my bus.

And of course... Best of all... My favorite part of Old Key West... you'll have Cat to welcome you home. :)

Upvote 0

compell

I have stayed at both and enjoyed both equally. Each has their advantages and disadvantages.

I find the OKW rooms to be larger and with a better layout of the rooms, while I think the WDLV tend to be a little smaller.

The WDL does have the nicely themed pool area that is shared between the main resort in addition to a smaller (also less crowded pool) for the villas. The only theming in the villas pool is the simulation of hot water springs coming up from the bottom. The main pool at OKW is less themed and not as not as the WDL pool (IMO). OKW also has speperate private pools (4 I think) throughout the rest of the resort.

OKW has the rooms motel style where your front door opens directly to the outside, where WDLV have the hotel style room with the doors opening up to a hallway with the lodge.

Two thing I didn't like about the WDLV is that all the restaurants and shops in the resort are over in the WDL and if you get one of the rooms at the end of the WDLV it is even a long walk to the main elevator.

Both resorts are nice and you would enjoy either one of them.

Hope some of this helps.
both resorts are nice

Upvote 0

VillianFan

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the input! Great things to be said about both places. Does anyone know if OKW has its own bus or does it share the bus with POFQ and POR? Since they are all right there together, we were wondering if the bus is shared.

Again thanks for the input!

Upvote 0

Invero

Originally posted by VillianFan
Thanks so much for the input! Great things to be said about both places. Does anyone know if OKW has its own bus or does it share the bus with POFQ and POR? Since they are all right there together, we were wondering if the bus is shared.

Again thanks for the input!

Old Key West has its own bus. :)

Upvote 0

roysta123

Go to the Wilderness Lodge Villas. OKW is not that close to MK. WL is only a boat ride from the MK and then you can take the monorail to EPCOT. I went on a tour of the WL villas and they are very nice.:)

Upvote 0

Invero

Originally posted by roysta123
OKW is not that close to MK. WL is only a boat ride from the MK

Actually... Old Key West isn't that far from the Magic Kingdom. I'd say that the boat ride from WL to MK is the same amount of time as the Bus from OKW to MK. In addition, Old Key West is in a central location. It's 5 mins from Epcot, 5 mins from Downtown Disney, 10 mins from MK, and 13 mins from Animal Kingdom.

Not to mention that Old Key West busses are very rarely busy. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom