Old Key West Help

JTT

Original Poster
I finally booked a Disney World vacation for 2019.

This time I am staying at Old Key West. This is my first time staying there, so I need some insider information on the resort.

Best section to stay in? Preferred room? Best things to eat their? Where do you get your coffee? Have any of the rooms been remodeled lately? Is there a fan web site just for Old Key West? Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member

This time I am staying at Old Key West. This is my first time staying there, so I need some insider information on the resort.

Best section to stay in? Preferred room? Best things to eat their? Where do you get your coffee? Have any of the rooms been remodeled lately? Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Paging OKW owner, and afficionado @helenabear for help!

Rinx

Fellow OKW owner here since 1993. Best section really depends. We have always had a car so we like to stay deep in the back of the resort since bus stops weren't important for us. We enjoy being walking distance to one of the quiet pools, particularly the Turtle Shack. Sections also depend on what type of vacation home you will be staying in (studio, 1 or 2 bedroom, grand villa). Villas have full kitchens but I believe even the studio has a coffee machine so you can brew your own any time. Food options are a bit limited, however. The Turtle Shack has more of a lunch type of food offerings and fountain beverages. The Hospitality House area has Conch Flat's General Store if you need some items for your room. Also home to Olivia's which is a sit down restaurant with a very underrated breakfast I highly recommend. The Turtle Crawl also has the main resort pool with a slide plus sports rentals, a bar, and quick service. Rooms have been undergoing remodeling for over a year. Not sure if they are all completed yet.

Last edited:

Skibum1970

I'm not an owner but we were in Building 50 in November. The room had been updated and was very nice. Also, it was extremely quiet back there and the building backed up to the Lake Buena Vista golf course. I will admit that we had rented a car from an Enterprise located pretty close and so I didn't depend on the bus service. There were a number of stops throughout the resort and I can see that causing a little delay in heading to the parks. Our room was all the way in the back, though, and it was a pretty good hike to the restaurants/front lobby, if we wanted to walk. Also, since I had a car (you could do this via Uber), I drove to a grocery store that was about three miles away and stocked up on food that we ate instead of frequenting the park/resort restaurants. This was to address some food allergies that I battle but it saved us quite a bit of money.

With all that being said, I would definitely stay here again as it was ideal from the aspect of feeling quiet, secluded, and relaxing. Using a car, it generally took us about ten minutes to get to Epcot, 15 minutes to get to Magic Kingdom, and 15 minutes to Animal Kingdom. The only downside was that we still had to negotiate TTC at the Magic Kingdom which added a few more minutes to the overall trip.

If you go to allears.net or Dave's DVC Rentals, they both have a lot of information on OKW.

correcaminos

Best section to stay in? Preferred room? Best things to eat their? Where do you get your coffee? Have any of the rooms been remodeled lately? Is there a fan web site just for Old Key West? Any help or tips would be appreciated.
OKW is finishing up the refurbishment. Most of the rooms have been done. What kind of stay are you looking for and what room type?

The Hospitality House is where the main pool, Olivia's (TS), a QS location and the community hall (games and activities).

Turtle Pond also has a QS location near the pool and one of the nicest quiet pools.

South Point is relaxing and quiet. Closest to the path to Disney Springs.

Miller's Road is relatively close to the HH. Peninsular is the closest and the first stop for the buses.

We actually do coffee in our room so while you can get it at the QS locations, I like it more in our room.

Simba’s Mom

Our favorite views are on Miller Road. However, that's the last bus stop, and now that I use an ECV, being at the last bus stop at a large resort is a real chance. Last year we were in building 64, an elevator building, and could scooter (DH walked) over to Peninsula Road to get on the first bus stop. Great views and quiet. Another place I loved was building 47. We overlooked a golf hole, and every evening we could see the fireworks from both MK and DHS from our patio.

JTT

Original Poster
Trying to decide to buy refillable mug for coffee or make in my room. Are there coffee filters in the room?

nickys

Premium Member
You will get some. And since I assume you booked direct through Disney, I would think these would be replaced each day by housekeeping. Or you could bring some with you, buy them at the store, or even use paper towels instead!

correcaminos

Trying to decide to buy refillable mug for coffee or make in my room. Are there coffee filters in the room?
There are these pods that aren't horrible (better than refillable mugs) that will give you a full pot of coffee. Usually 2. We do also bring our own and there is coffee at the store. Though if booked with cash via Disney, the will refill during housekeeping.

Disneyfreak Jen

I stayed once, and really enjoyed it. I was in the building right next to the Turtle Pond pool, by the playground. Location was great, but, it is noisy with traffic at night on the road right behythe building. I sleep with a white noise app on my phone so it didn’t bother me, but it may be an issue for some.
I was there during Hurricane Matthew in 2016 and the kitchenette a d microwave came in handy since we were on room lockdown. I was able to buy a couple microwave meals to heat up.
The pool next door was great, had a good menu for food and drink for a pool bar.

CLEtoWDW

At OKW having a good room location is imperative IMO. I highly receommend a room between the 11s and 20s or units 63-64. These locations are near the front of the resort and are close enough to the Hospitality House and main pool area to walk.
The rooms in the 40s and 50s make you feel like you aren’t even staying at the same resort. They are incredibly far from the HH and buses are often full by the time they reach your stop.

CaptainAmerica

At OKW having a good room location is imperative IMO. I highly receommend a room between the 11s and 20s or units 63-64. These locations are near the front of the resort and are close enough to the Hospitality House and main pool area to walk.
The rooms in the 40s and 50s make you feel like you aren’t even staying at the same resort. They are incredibly far from the HH and buses are often full by the time they reach your stop.
Not if you have a car. The HH area has terrible parking and poor room views.

Skibum1970

That is what we found out. Having a car negated any of the perceived shortcomings of OKW. Plus, it made it easy for me to get to/from a grocery store as well as some offsite dining. We tried to not eat onsite too much due to cost and the fact that the food didn't really agree with us.

correcaminos

The Peninsular area of HH are great IMO. Ease to walk to the HH and first stop off after getting back from the parks.

Nice views, good parking, and quiet. When we book HH we request the Peninsular areas. If not HH we request Peninsular anyway LOL

If you have a car it doesn't really matter much.

henwen

OKW is one of our favorites for a truly relaxing trip! That being said - when staying here we try to make the most of the really large rooms. I may have missed it above, but are you in a studio or a 1/2 BR with full kitchen? Either way you get a Real coffee pot (takes the regular flat bottom filters - I bring my own and my fave coffee from home), microwave, fridge (mini or full sized depending on room size).

They have very nice pools, but (IMO) are limited on the restaurant front, and only one lounge area by the main pool. We started bringing our own booze too ;) However, you are just a boat ride away from Disney Springs! It truly is a 'home away from home,' with a very different feel than say, Beach Club or Boardwalk - ie "I'm just going to go run out and grab such and such." When we stay OKW, we try to bring it with us!

bcuinohio

I have stayed at OKW twice. I really like it there. The only drawback is that the food places are at Hospitality House. If you have a refillable mug, you need to be close to HH to take advantage of it. You might be able to use at Turtle Shack, not sure though.

correcaminos

I have stayed at OKW twice. I really like it there. The only drawback is that the food places are at Hospitality House. If you have a refillable mug, you need to be close to HH to take advantage of it. You might be able to use at Turtle Shack, not sure though.
Yes to Turtle Shack :) They also have a good selection of QS food there as well.

RickP330

OKW is the best resort on property to have a car, along with Fort Wilderness. Buildings 45 and 46 with their river views are my favorite.
Hello there, this sounds like great advice. We are staying at OKW end of July. Quick question, when staying at 45 or 46 - is it walkable to the main pool area? Looks like 1/4 mile...

PS we are renting a car....

RP

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom