Old Key West Bus Transportation

montyz81

Original Poster
I am staying at the OKW resort this summer with 9 people. We are planning on not renting a car. My question is how good are the park buses to and from the resort? I have stayed at Saratoga,CBR, and Swan/Dolphin and have had good experiences with the busses. I’m looking for timing in and out of the resort and how much time does it take to go through all the stops in the resort. Saratoga was very quick.CBR too much longer. With nine people I need to ensure I’m planning time properly. Thanks all.

nickys

Premium Member
I am staying at the OKW resort this summer with 9 people. We are planning on not renting a car. My question is how good are the park buses to and from the resort? I have stayed at Saratoga,CBR, and Swan/Dolphin and have had good experiences with the busses. I’m looking for timing in and out of the resort and how much time does it take to go through all the stops in the resort. Saratoga was very quick.CBR too much longer. With nine people I need to ensure I’m planning time properly. Thanks all.
We found it was fine.

Each park had a bus come every 15-20 minutes or so. The last stop before leaving the resort is Hospitality House, except for Disney Springs buses which stop there first and last.

The worst part was coming back after dark when the lights would come on at every stop. We stayed at Turtle Pond, which was the third stop and it didn’t take long to get to the first 3. Then you go back past HH to Miller’s Road and back to HH. Never had an issue with getting on, but we aren’t rope droppers, so that could be different first thing.

ladydi

Our room was a bit closer to the hospitality house but we always walked a bit further to the first stop. Found that in the morning it was more likely that the buses would be full and skip the HH stop. We waited quite a while for a bus on our first day before we figured that out.

kimberlymautz

So our room was pretty far away from everything so it took a while to get on the buses. A lot of the time by the time the bus got to our stop it was already full, so I'd take the extra time to walk closer to the HH stop if you find yourself in a similar situation. We loved the boats to and from Disney Springs though!

Spaceship|Earth

We stayed at a Grand Villa in May 2022. We were diagonal across from the HH area. We generally didn't have an issue, and we were with someone who had an ECV. There was ONE time the bus couldn't accommodate the ECV, so it called another, and the other bus was there before the previous bus pulled away. We had 8 people in our group (6 adults [ 1 on ECV], 2 kids). We were in building 63.

I'm sure you know, but if you didn't, you can see bus arrival times in the app. I think it's somewhere under My Resort or something.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The two resorts I would never stay at without renting a car are Old Key West and Fort Wilderness.

It's not just that the buses are bad (they are, but they're bad other places too). It's that the parking is so good. The buildings are small and the parking lots are all broken up for each building so you can literally park right outside your front door.

NelleBelle

The two resorts I would never stay at without renting a car are Old Key West and Fort Wilderness.

It's not just that the buses are bad (they are, but they're bad other places too). It's that the parking is so good. The buildings are small and the parking lots are all broken up for each building so you can literally park right outside your front door.
I’d add Saratoga Springs to that list as well! Love the peacefulness of that resort, the new renovated rooms. But it’s a huge resort and we loved having our own car right outside our building to head to the parks. Only used the bus for MK.

tanc

OKW has a really weird bus situation. Personally I do recommend trying to get a room near the hospitality since that's the main hub of transportation. Usually the bus on the way back goes to peninsular road on the second stop (if I remember correctly) and you can just get off there and walk to your resort. If you have people with handicap though, it's going to be a long wait since hospitality is the last stop on the way back.

Although transportation out of the resort is very easy, it's annoying to maneuver in the resort. Although the boat to Disney Springs and direct buses to parks is a huge perk imo.

Ayla

We stayed at OKW last May and had no issues with the buses. Our room was right outside a bus stop and riding the bus does not bother us. We had a car but exclusively used the buses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom