Old Key West Advice

Powerline's Roadie

Original Poster
We had a late June reservation and we official have moved the trip to Old Key West in August. We're typically at a moderate resort and as a big planner I just want to know what are tips people have for staying at OKW. We are a bigger party this year with 8 people including an infant.

Where should we request, whats the best spot along the bus route, and whatever else would be beneficial to know.

SteveAZee

I enjoy staying on Peninsular Road (buildings 23-26). It's close enough to the Hospitality House to walk to it easily for shopping and swimming, but distant enough to not deal with all the traffic. It's also convenient for the bus system... if you miss the bus at Peninsular you can walk to Hospitality and pick it up there. It's also nice to be one of the first stops at the end of the day.

correcaminos

I enjoy staying on Peninsular Road (buildings 23-26). It's close enough to the Hospitality House to walk to it easily for shopping and swimming, but distant enough to not deal with all the traffic. It's also convenient for the bus system... if you miss the bus at Peninsular you can walk to Hospitality and pick it up there. It's also nice to be one of the first stops at the end of the day.
Actually 23-26 is considered hospitality house. 27-29 are standard Peninuslar. As a DVC memeber and OKW owner we love that region. First stop but close to everything. Also near are buildings 62-64 and 15. For us our next up is Turtle Pond. It's further but mostly nicely quiet.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
We are also OKW owners and spent many years requesting near Hospitality House, but that was mainly to be close to activities for our daughter when she was younger. Now that she is a teenager, we always request Turtle Pond area. It's much quieter and we can still walk (or catch any bus) up to the Hospitality House area. The options at the snack bar (doubt that it will be open in August) at the Turtle Pond quiet pool have been getting better and better each year.

We've stayed in all the different 'regions' of the resort. I wouldn't recommend along Peninsular Road with an infant as it is definitely the loudest area. South Point is pretty nice, but definitely the farthest away from the 'action' and much like down Millers Road, I'm not that much of a fan of the quiet pools compared to Turtle Pond. Not sure what other ages of kids you have (beyond the infant), but buildings 37-39 and 43 are all very quiet, but close enough for a quick walk to the pool and the bus stop. No matter where you are, the bus ride through the resort is always going to take a little time.

If you are looking for some calm, (relatively) quiet sit-down meals, Olivia's is quite nice and one of the more chill table service restaurants in all of WDW. Goods-to-Go has quite a limited menu for counter service, but the quality is generally pretty decent - comparable to any other counter in WDW. The lounge, Gurgling Suitcase is really great. It's tiny, but they offer bar snacks plus the entire Olivia's menu for food orders (and you can get things those things to-go and eat them out at the picnic tables).

It is perhaps the least over-the-top Disney feeling resort on site. Which is great to relax after an crazy day in the parks. Much of the staff has been there for many years, which I think is a testament to the quality of the resort.

Powerline's Roadie

Original Poster
Thanks for the great information! Our thought was to maybe get an early bus stop so even if he have to ride around awhile we’re on with a seat especially not knowing what transportation will look like upon reopening.
My son (infant) will be 11 months and due to a decent age gap the other “kids” will be two of my siblings who are mid teens.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Thanks for the great information! Our thought was to maybe get an early bus stop so even if he have to ride around awhile we’re on with a seat especially not knowing what transportation will look like upon reopening.
My son (infant) will be 11 months and due to a decent age gap the other “kids” will be two of my siblings who are mid teens.

I'd definitely try to get buildings 23-26 if you want the first bus stop, then. You'd be right by the stop and pretty easy walking access to Hospitality House. Call the resort to put in the request for those buildings ASAP - they tend to go pretty quickly (anything labeled as near Hospitality House goes quick). Obviously, no idea what things will be like in the coming months (but we will be there end of July, so I hope to know soon!) there's no way to know about the bus plans, but if things are like normal, you have people getting on and off at every stop, so the odds of getting empty seats are pretty equal throughout the resort. We tend to travel at extremely busy times and have been in the area of the first stop before and had to stand for a stop or so until more people had disembarked before we could get a seat. It's kind of hit or miss (in normal times).

correcaminos

We’re not committed to first bus we just were thinking it would be good with s little one to at least be on a bus. I’m open to other ideas.
Problem is the next 2 stops sometimes flip. I'll reiterate that buildings 23-26 are Hospitality House designations and say 27-29 are the ones to ask for if you do want first stop. They are next to each other in a group, but different designations. Next stop usually Turtle Pond, then S Point but they can flip. Miller Road then Hospitality House. If buses get full, they will bring in to the later stops. How it all works with new distancing and such, no one knows.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Problem is the next 2 stops sometimes flip. I'll reiterate that buildings 23-26 are Hospitality House designations and say 27-29 are the ones to ask for if you do want first stop. They are next to each other in a group, but different designations. Next stop usually Turtle Pond, then S Point but they can flip. Miller Road then Hospitality House. If buses get full, they will bring in to the later stops. How it all works with new distancing and such, no one knows.

Interesting. In all our trips, I've never been on a bus that went to Turtle Pond before South Point. Granted we tend to drive to parks about 50% of the time, so maybe those flip flops are the other 50%! FWIW, a bus driver (and we all know how reliable bus driver info is...) told us once when we were the only people on a late night/after closing bus that he couldn't just take us directly to Turtle Pond because they aren't supposed to make a right turn onto that road from Peninsular.

One thing to note for buildings 28 and 29 (and also 50), they are the only buildings I've stayed in where I've noticed golf noise. It's not bad, but those buildings back up to the tee boxes which is where there tends to be the most golfer chat noise and louder drives. @Powerline's Roadie - I'm not thinking you would have windows or patio/porch door open all that much in August, so it probably wouldn't be an issue. Granted, 23-26, since they are right by the bus stop deal with the bus beeping at times when they need to use the ramp for scooters - so, that a little issue.

SteveAZee

Actually 23-26 is considered hospitality house. 27-29 are standard Peninuslar. As a DVC memeber and OKW owner we love that region. First stop but close to everything. Also near are buildings 62-64 and 15. For us our next up is Turtle Pond. It's further but mostly nicely quiet.
That may be. When I have stayed there, I used the Peninsular Road bus stop since it was a lot closer.

correcaminos

That may be. When I have stayed there, I used the Peninsular Road bus stop since it was a lot closer.
I think you misunderstood. While 23-26 are closest to Peninsular bus stop they are Hospitality House booking category. The standard booking category rooms also by the Peninsular stop are 27-29. Without booking HH category, you cannot stay in 23-26 (barring some strange inventory issue).

correcaminos

Interesting. In all our trips, I've never been on a bus that went to Turtle Pond before South Point. Granted we tend to drive to parks about 50% of the time, so maybe those flip flops are the other 50%! FWIW, a bus driver (and we all know how reliable bus driver info is...) told us once when we were the only people on a late night/after closing bus that he couldn't just take us directly to Turtle Pond because they aren't supposed to make a right turn onto that road from Peninsular.

One thing to note for buildings 28 and 29 (and also 50), they are the only buildings I've stayed in where I've noticed golf noise. It's not bad, but those buildings back up to the tee boxes which is where there tends to be the most golfer chat noise and louder drives. @Powerline's Roadie - I'm not thinking you would have windows or patio/porch door open all that much in August, so it probably wouldn't be an issue. Granted, 23-26, since they are right by the bus stop deal with the bus beeping at times when they need to use the ramp for scooters - so, that a little issue.
Lol the bus stop totally changes with S Point and Turtle Pond. Officially it has even switched over time. It's so strange that they rotate. They most definitely can make that turn if they want to. I triple checked and per Disney know it alls Turtle Pond should be second. After all my stays I've seen both (OKW owner for 16 years) and find it strange why the often switch.

Our favorite is 23 or 24 so we book near HH and request by Peninsular. Usually works fortunately. No bus noises there. I think 27 had some noise but none at 23 or 24. They are a bit far back from the road to hear IMO. The stop is right between 27 and 26

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Lol the bus stop totally changes with S Point and Turtle Pond. Officially it has even switched over time. It's so strange that they rotate. They most definitely can make that turn if they want to. I triple checked and per Disney know it alls Turtle Pond should be second. After all my stays I've seen both (OKW owner for 16 years) and find it strange why the often switch.

Our favorite is 23 or 24 so we book near HH and request by Peninsular. Usually works fortunately. No bus noises there. I think 27 had some noise but none at 23 or 24. They are a bit far back from the road to hear IMO. The stop is right between 27 and 26

That's pretty funny! I know I'd love it if they did Turtle Pond after Peninsular when we go - I tend to be a stand-up and offer someone my seat on the return from the parks and that darn U-turn at South Point always finds me almost falling in someone's lap! We've been visiting OKW since 2006 (members since 2008) and I think in our 20+ visits, we've never been in the same building twice. But recently we have really fallen in love with the Turtle Pond area - so maybe it's just the past 2-3 years that I've cared much about that bus stop! I'll be able to check up on the COVID-era routes in a few weeks as we will be at OKW July 18-28 with a weird split stay of 7 nights in a 1 bedroom and 3 nights in a studio. Just looking forward to getting out of our house at this point!

Powerline's Roadie

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great feedback! Super excited and interested in what this looks like post covid. Still kinda bummed were losing Caribbean skyliner.

Random but I’d be interested in people’s response. Do you prefer the fairway or water views at OKW?

correcaminos

That's pretty funny! I know I'd love it if they did Turtle Pond after Peninsular when we go - I tend to be a stand-up and offer someone my seat on the return from the parks and that darn U-turn at South Point always finds me almost falling in someone's lap! We've been visiting OKW since 2006 (members since 2008) and I think in our 20+ visits, we've never been in the same building twice. But recently we have really fallen in love with the Turtle Pond area - so maybe it's just the past 2-3 years that I've cared much about that bus stop! I'll be able to check up on the COVID-era routes in a few weeks as we will be at OKW July 18-28 with a weird split stay of 7 nights in a 1 bedroom and 3 nights in a studio. Just looking forward to getting out of our house at this point!
We have plans to be there July 26-28 though a 2 bed and found HH area to stay less than 2 months out. We actually try to get on at HH so I rarely pay attention to the next two stops as it is anymore. Though sometimes we get on at Peninuslar if there. I'm not so keen on most of the turn arounds there.

Thanks for all the great feedback! Super excited and interested in what this looks like post covid. Still kinda bummed were losing Caribbean skyliner.

Random but I’d be interested in people’s response. Do you prefer the fairway or water views at OKW?
I prefer waterways for some reason. I find them more peaceful and interesting to look at

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member

I also prefer the water views. Definitely more relaxing to me!

Plowboy

We've stayed at OKW twice so far. First trip we were in bldg 18 (Miller's Rd), the second trip we were in bldg 49 (way the hell and gone at the far end of the resort). We're scheduled for late Sept. (fingers crossed) and would prefer Peninsular or Miller's Rd. It's our favorite DVC resort (we rent points).

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Love the boat to D Springs. Not currently running however. I hope they start it back soon.

This is something I am really desperately hoping for (okay, maybe there are other things higher on my hopes list right now, but...) - that boat ride from OKW to Disney Springs and back is one of my favorite relaxation activities in the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom