Old experiences through new eyes

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Just wanted to share something that I witnessed this past trip. It was busy as usual (actually even more so), but some of the old shows like Tiki Room, the Carousel of Progress, and It's Tough to Be a Bug were filled to capacity. That was so cool to see, and what was even cooler was hearing people laughing and sometimes screaming from effects of the shows. It felt like nostalgia just slapped me in the face and made me feel lighthearted hearing and seeing those reactions.

I think what I am getting at from this is that we all got to remember that just because we are Disney goer veterans some of which who have gone since the very beginning, there are people who go all of the time and witnessing shows or rides for the first times in their lives.

I just think it was really cool to see.

That is all:)

NickMaio

Just wanted to share something that I witnessed this past trip. It was busy as usual (actually even more so), but some of the old shows like Tiki Room, the Carousel of Progress, and It's Tough to Be a Bug were filled to capacity. That was so cool to see, and what was even cooler was hearing people laughing and sometimes screaming from effects of the shows. It felt like nostalgia just slapped me in the face and made me feel lighthearted hearing and seeing those reactions.

I think what I am getting at from this is that we all got to remember that just because we are Disney goer veterans some of which who have gone since the very beginning, there are people who go all of the time and witnessing shows or rides for the first times in their lives.

We also noticed this with Space Ship Earth. All day the wait was 60mins or more. Frozen was 20 to 30. There is a disturbance in the force. Bring back the retro rides Disney, please😜

geekza

I think that we sometimes let ourselves forget that the attractions that are considered classics are, for the most part, timeless. There are always going to be people who don't enjoy something because "it's old." The majority of people, however, can be just as charmed by the classic attractions as those of us who grew up with them. There's a reason they've hung around as long as they have and it isn't always because of corporate ennui.

This thread made my day.

belledream

This is so true, and a very big reason why I fell even more in love with Disney...through sharing experiences with my boyfriend/fiance/husband (all the same person ;)). I remember our first trip and his childlike wonderment as we 'Here we gooo!'ed' on Peter Pan's Flight. The 'that was freakin' awesome!' at the end. He always laughs his head off at MuppetVision's preshow...something I always previously skirted by in favor of the main attraction, and now enjoy for his laughs, and mine! So it goes both ways. :)

LaughingGravy

Re: the comment on the teens with cell phones in IASW and them not using them...it seems there is finally starting to be some common sense and courtesy starting to creep in re: cell phone usage, like at dining tables in restaurants and other events where you are there with real people and not supposed to be staring at a little screen in your hand, but experiencing the moment. It's slow, but I see it more and more and I'm happy about it.
I think much of it, particularly for multiple amusement parks and not just Disney, has to do with the fact that YouTube and other outlets and websites have amazingly edited and produced videos which are always going to be better than any hand held cell phone video.
To those of you who post those great things, thank you!! You are contributing to a return of manners.

Disney4family

Re: the comment on the teens with cell phones in IASW and them not using them...it seems there is finally starting to be some common sense and courtesy starting to creep in re: cell phone usage, like at dining tables in restaurants and other events where you are there with real people and not supposed to be staring at a little screen in your hand, but experiencing the moment. It's slow, but I see it more and more and I'm happy about it.
I think much of it, particularly for multiple amusement parks and not just Disney, has to do with the fact that YouTube and other outlets and websites have amazingly edited and produced videos which are always going to be better than any hand held cell phone video.
To those of you who post those great things, thank you!! You are contributing to a return of manners.
I agree. I didn't see a lot of cell phone usage, but we did deal with constant talking. Constant. Everyone - young & old. Throughout every ride, attraction, show. Loud. Constant. Talking. Over dialogue or just attraction music (which is just as wonderful to experience in person as the dialogue).

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I agree. I didn't see a lot of cell phone usage, but we did deal with constant talking. Constant. Everyone - young & old. Throughout every ride, attraction, show. Loud. Constant. Talking. Over dialogue or just attraction music (which is just as wonderful to experience in person as the dialogue).
Unfortunately, I did deal with a little bit of that on Soarin, a ride which I haven't rode in years and I was in Concourse C top row no less. I was sad I didn't get to really enjoy it, but since it was near park closing time, I hopped right back on the ride with about a 10 minute wait. But I wasn't able to snag the top row...so the pictures looked very morphed. Still good though.

HwdStudio

I love seeing this happening I’ve seen it a good bit lately at CBJ with younger folks laughing and clapping g along. Makes me so happy!!

Smiley/OCD

We were at WDW back in November and the 4 of us went to CBJ...a must do every trip...the hall was about 3/4 full and even better was that there were 2 CM's who were REALLY into the show, kind of like a warm up comedian on a sitcom...they set the stage for a great show and EVERYONE was into it...I wish that would always happen

geekza

Sadly, the only time I rode Soarin' (way back in 2006), people decided that it was a good idea to take flash pictures... of a projection screen... that reflects light. It pulled me out of the experience and they ended up with useless photos.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Sadly, the only time I rode Soarin' (way back in 2006), people decided that it was a good idea to take flash pictures... of a projection screen... that reflects light. It pulled me out of the experience and they ended up with useless photos.
:/ People seriously confuse me sometimes, especially when they think it is a good idea to take Flash Pictures. Last year when I went on HM, someone decided it would be cool to take a lot of Flash Pictures during Madame Leota's scene. Because of the light, you could see all of the fishing lines. It was sad.

geekza

:/ People seriously confuse me sometimes, especially when they think it is a good idea to take Flash Pictures. Last year when I went on HM, someone decided it would be cool to take a lot of Flash Pictures during Madame Leota's scene. Because of the light, you could see all of the fishing lines. It was sad.
I honestly think it's because those folks are blissfully unaware of how photography works. Unfortunately, their ignorance lessens the experience for everyone else around them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom