Old cartoon loop in WDW resorts

mharrington

Original Poster
I'm not sure if they still have it there now (probably not), but in the early 2000s, there used to be a loop of old Disney cartoons that played on a TV in the lobbies of WDW resorts, as well as on the TVs in the rooms (provided you knew which station to select). Can anyone tell me what they were? I know they had "Mickey and the Seal" (with Mickey and Pluto), "The Band Concert" (with Mickey, Donald and others), "The Brave Little Tailor" (with Mickey and Minnie), "Billposters" (with Donald and Goofy), "The Legend of Coyote Rock" (with Pluto) and "All In a Nutshell" (with Donald and Chip 'n' Dale), just to name a few, but can anyone provide me with a list?

Cmdr_Crimson

I'm not sure if they still have it there now (probably not), but in the early 2000s, there used to be a loop of old Disney cartoons that played on a TV in the lobbies of WDW resorts, as well as on the TVs in the rooms (provided you knew which station to select). Can anyone tell me what they were? I know they had "Mickey and the Seal" (with Mickey and Pluto), "The Band Concert" (with Mickey, Donald and others), "The Brave Little Tailor" (with Mickey and Minnie), "Billposters" (with Donald and Goofy), "The Legend of Coyote Rock" (with Pluto) and "All In a Nutshell" (with Donald and Chip 'n' Dale), just to name a few, but can anyone provide me with a list?
Toon lineup 2010
As of 9-20-10, the rotation is as follows:

Steamboat Willie
How to Play Football
Working for Peanuts
Plutopia
Mickey's Fire Brigade
How to Ride a Horse
Disney Singalong: Heigh Ho
Pluto's Fledgling
Donald's Camera
Stand by Me w/ Timon and Pumbaa
Pluto's Housewarming
Mickey's Trailer
Contrary Condor
Pluto and the Armadillo

It can from this forum post...

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Not an answer to your question, but when I was at the Grand Californian just before the COVID shut-down, they had child-sized rocking chairs set up in the lobby around a screen where they were showing the new Mickey Mouse cartoons.

JIMINYCR

I've said in other posts that I'm not a fan of the "New" animated Mickey shorts. The style and content just doesnt appeal to me at all. I dont have any list to contribute to the post but I will say I fondly remember stopping in the lobby at several resorts we stayed at in the past, and sitting down to enjoy the shorts that were playing on TV's for the guests entertainment. Its a shame that many of the animated shorts that were well drawn and very entertaining have disappeared. Ive collected the various DVD Mickey and others collections and bring them out occasionally to watch.

Chip Chipperson

I've said in other posts that I'm not a fan of the "New" animated Mickey shorts. The style and content just doesnt appeal to me at all. I dont have any list to contribute to the post but I will say I fondly remember stopping in the lobby at several resorts we stayed at in the past, and sitting down to enjoy the shorts that were playing on TV's for the guests entertainment. Its a shame that many of the animated shorts that were well drawn and very entertaining have disappeared. Ive collected the various DVD Mickey and others collections and bring them out occasionally to watch.

I prefer the older ones, too. It's not a bad idea to freshen up the ones that play (especially since there's a finite amount of old ones to play while the new ones are still actively being produced), but maybe have a loop of old ones and a loop of new ones that rotate throughout the day so you get a mix of old and new without it becoming too repetitive. The shorts are my "winding down" assistant at the end of long park days. I just turn that channel on, set the TV's the sleep timer, and drift off to sleep. The old ones are better for that, to me, because they're usually quieter so I wouldn't be on the verge of sleep only to be snapped out of it by loud crashes, yelling, etc.

Heppenheimer

I love the new shorts (and my toddler son absolutely jumps with joy when we put the cheese rangler episode on), but I find it sad that Disney has lost interest in promoting their old animation. Back in the 70s and 80s as a kid, when most contemporary animation was cheap and generally terrible, watching the fluidly drawn theatrical shorts of the 30s-50s always felt like a special treat.

I still hold that short animation reached its pinnacle as an artform with Donald Duck's Snowball Fight, and I can't even find this one on Disney+!

RoadiJeff

I love the new shorts (and my toddler son absolutely jumps with joy when we put the cheese rangler episode on), but I find it sad that Disney has lost interest in promoting their old animation. Back in the 70s and 80s as a kid, when most contemporary animation was cheap and generally terrible, watching the fluidly drawn theatrical shorts of the 30s-50s always felt like a special treat.

I still hold that short animation reached its pinnacle as an artform with Donald Duck's Snowball Fight, and I can't even find this one on Disney+!

This one?

mf1972

i’m with you on this one. the new animation is just awful to me. the animated shorts are not enjoyable at all. that could be me showing my age, but i much prefer the older animated shorts. they had more style, storytelling, heart & personality than what we’re seeing today.

JIMINYCR

i’m with you on this one. the new animation is just awful to me. the animated shorts are not enjoyable at all. that could be me showing my age, but i much prefer the older animated shorts. they had more style, storytelling, heart & personality than what we’re seeing today.
The quality drawing and talents of the 9 old men and other artists drawing in the past was exceptional and Walt insisted on standards that showed up on screen. For me it isnt an age thing, even though I'm older, but the difference in the nature of the characters drawn. But I guess there are differences in how each of us enjoys different styles of artistic license. My tastes run towards more aesthetically pleasing styles. Goofy is IMHO the worst.

Cmdr_Crimson

The quality drawing and talents of the 9 old men and other artists drawing in the past was exceptional and Walt insisted on standards that showed up on screen. For me it isnt an age thing, even though I'm older, but the difference in the nature of the characters drawn. But I guess there are differences in how each of us enjoys different styles of artistic license. My tastes run towards more aesthetically pleasing styles. Goofy is IMHO the worst.
The artist who made the new design is Paul Rudish....Most of the work he had done previously was for the early 00's shows Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls And Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends from Cartoon Network..And you can pretty much compare the slapstick to how he brought it to the new mickey shorts.

Brer Panther

Not an answer to your question, but when I was at the Grand Californian just before the COVID shut-down, they had child-sized rocking chairs set up in the lobby around a screen where they were showing the new Mickey Mouse cartoons.
There's a little area like that on the first floor of the Grand Floridian where they've got a TV playing the new Mickey cartoons. I recall it used to be on that "classic cartoons" channel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom